Uniden BCD996XT Version Updating

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrscpu2004

Premium Subscriber
I see it might be best to ask my numerous questions one at a time.
This used Uniden BCD996XT's version is at 1.04.00. I believe the latest version is up to
1.07. I just ordered a FTDI Uniden Scanner Programming Cable and Remote Control BCD996T BCD996XT USB-1 cable from an eBay vendor. I think I will need this cable for the updating?
Also, do I have to do each Version Update at a time or can the Version 1.07 just be loaded in?
Does anyone know what exactly get updated in this particular update? Thank you.

elfaure

I hear the most common problem is not unzipping the firmware file before downloading it to your scanner. Make sure the power doesnt turn off while installing the upgrade. Also I recommend you always do an MD5 checksum verificaition of the downloaded file before installing. Good practice for any firmware.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
While the updater itself (BC_VUP3) must be unzipped in order to be installed, actual firmware payloads are no longer issued as "zip" files, but are downloaded by the updater at the time of use.

SCPD

QRT
yes buy the Uniden cable,you are alot better off than if you did the serial to USB adapter thing or got a knock off cable.Its $30 and well worth it!

elfaure

A checksum is a fairly reliable method to compare two files bit by bit. If every bit of the received file is identical to every bit of the sent file, then the checksums will match otherwise they won't. There are a few different checksum algorithms. Its a way to check the downloaded file vs the source file. This is usually recommended for any firmware upgrade (scanner, cell phone, PC, etc.) because one wrong bit can trash/brick your hardware.

MD5 and SHA1 are the two most common algorithms used today. You can Google and find many checksum tools (Windows/Mac/Linix/Android/iOS) to check files you download.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checksum

Status
Not open for further replies.