Uniden BCD996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Actually Windoze 7 and better does have one, but it's very unreliable and known to corrupt files. As mentioned, get 7-Zip and create a file association for it so that anytime you click on a zip file it calls 7-Zip. It's freeware and works pretty well....Mike

teufler

like ka3jjz suggested, get the 7-zip program. he has a blue link. that will open the file and is a good utility that has many other uses.

SCPD

QRT
I did click on the link in blue. downloaded the file and then I also downloaded a bunch of adware also along with it. Now I am in the process of uninstalling all the adware that was downloaded along with the 7-zip program......

teufler

in the chance my file sent was corrupted, I created a file using the 7-zip program and checked, its good. 7-zip unzips the file fine.

Attachments

• PINAL CTY1.zip
    5.1 KB · Views: 8

SCPD

QRT
cable

I would get the Uniden USB-1 cable and use Butel software (ARC-XT)its alot easier and you can import frequencies via radio reference.

SCPD

QRT
996XT Scanner

I do have the Uniden USB1 cable, so I will check out the software you suggested. Thanks for the info!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
FreeScan has the very same ability to download data from our database, just as ARC-XT and ProScan do. It's just a matter of presentation, style and the options the software gives you to use and edit the data.

I don't see any reason why your Tripp-Lite cable wouldn't work, but as you might have already guessed (or learned, if you read the article I supplied) you're going to need to download and install drivers before anything will work. This is true of the USB1 or any other USB cable you might try to use.

Good luck with your choices...Mike

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I don't see any reason why your Tripp-Lite cable wouldn't work, but as you might have already guessed (or learned, if you read the article I supplied) you're going to need to download and install drivers before anything will work. This is true of the USB1 or any other USB cable you might try to use.

If I understood correctly, kd7etf was trying to connect the Tripp-Lite cable directly to the back of the scanner. Firstly, you'd need to connect either a null-modem cable, or perhaps a null-modem adapter, between the serial connector on the 996's rear and the Tripp-Lite cable. Secondly, enter the scanner's main menu settings to make sure the rear port is active, and set your baud rate to agree with your computer's port baud rate. Lastly, and less obvious, make sure the Tripp-Lite cable is compatible with your computer's operating system. Downloaded drivers won't always be necessary so long as your computer recognizes the cable. I use the rear serial port on my 996 to a null-modem cable to a USB/serial adapter cable. When I went "live" with that, the computer took a second to figure out what I was doing, loaded the appropriate on-board drivers, and away I went.

SCPD

QRT
I do not have a tripp-lite USB adaptor, but I do have the Uniden USB-1 cable. I am waiting for the ARC-XT software to arrive and hopefully will get this to work. I appreciate all the help and suggestions from everyone, we'll let you know how it goes!

SCPD

QRT
Software Update

Received the ARC-XT software for the Uniden BCD996XT scanner. Connected the USB-1 cable, loaded the drivers, installed the software and programmed my local P25 frequencies and the scanner came to life! Works great, easier to understand after loading the software. Once again, thanks to everyone that gave me some advise and help. I really appreciate it!

73's

KD7ETF

FreedomFries

Premium Subscriber
Easier to read...Maybe still no understand

The posted link for the "easier to read" manual was somewhat better. What is needed is someone who actually writes technical manuals. The flow of the information is chaotic at best. Its like you have to be a RF Engineer to operate a consumer electronics device. There are lots of videos on how the scanners operate, but that does nothing to help a newb get it to operate. Lots of videos on how to program a scanner, but I just want to turn the thing on and become familiar with it in its native state. But the scanners in the videos don't have the same options as mine. And, I just love the videos that show fingers dancing around the face of the scanner at light speed, and somehow I am supposed to follow that. Right! Ok so if you aint figured it out yet I need a copy of the book Scanners for dummies. I know its not that difficult but dangit man, now I know why the last scanner I bought fifteen years ago is still new in the box. And I suppose my ultra short attention span doesn't help matters much, oh well just my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.