Uniden BCD996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
hello. Just bought a new scanner, uniden BCD996XT and have a couple of questions. First, this new scanner is very complex compared to my old PRO-2052. I guess the first question is: Is there a user manual that is much easier to understand then the one that came with it. It appears that Uniden has not written this for the novice starting out with a digital scanner. My previous scanner was easy to program frequencies, blocks, etc. This scanner is a bit more complex. If anyone has any ideas on how to program or learn the operation of this scanner, your help is much appreciated! Thanks in advance.......

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
hello. Just bought a new scanner, uniden BCD996XT and have a couple of questions. First, this new scanner is very complex compared to my old PRO-2052. I guess the first question is: Is there a user manual that is much easier to understand then the one that came with it. It appears that Uniden has not written this for the novice starting out with a digital scanner. My previous scanner was easy to program frequencies, blocks, etc. This scanner is a bit more complex. If anyone has any ideas on how to program or learn the operation of this scanner, your help is much appreciated! Thanks in advance.......

Here is a working link for the correct manual you are asking for.

Easier to Read BCD996XT Digital Scanner Manual

Check this link also, and follow all the links contained in that page for lots of info.

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Program_your_DMA_Scanner

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Thanks for the info (link). I'll check it out and see if I can understand the scanner a bit more.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Next, download the program FreeScan from https://sites.google.com/site/sixspotsoftware//products/freescan. This will be indispensable in programming the 996. Then, get a premium membership in RadioReference to enable you to download frequencies of your choice right into FreeScan, and then upload to the scanner. In the end, it'll be fairly easy to transition to the 996. Like yourself, most of my other scanners are much older (PRO-2006, PRO-93, BC-890XLT and such). There will be a learning curve to your new one, so be prepared. My advice is to only focus on what you need/want to know how to do at first. There's just too many bells and whistles to this baby!

SCPD

QRT
BCD996XT

Thanks so much for the replies from everyone on this forum. I appreciate it. Will keep you posted on my progress....

SCPD

QRT
I am able to program some local trunked frequencies and receive with no problem. I am having problems with P25 programming. Using Radio Reference.com frequencies list, I can see a control frequency for the local system I need, however, how do you enter the dec or hex number during the programming sequence for a new system. This is still a little gray to me on how to set-up frequencies, talk groups, etc for P25 digital systems.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You are confused about the topic of trunking. The third bullet of this wiki article has 2 links (they're always blue) that you should read to begin to understand this function

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

You can safely ignore the hex representation of the talkgroups. Although it's possible to use them, they are generally only used by folks programming real Motorola radios. Stick with the decimal equivalents; they are the ones most generally recognized by hobby folks.

You would save yourself a good deal of grief by getting a USB-serial cable, installing the drivers and getting the freeware FreeScan. As you're a premium subscriber, you can easily download data from our database which does much (but not all) of the work for you. All of this is described in the above article

Mike

SCPD

QRT
Thanks for the info Mike. I do have the USB serial cable, software drivers installed, where do I download the freeware FreeScan?

teufler

This file, freescan 2.16a should get you started. From your QRZ.com listing, I believe this will get you started.

Attachments

• PINAL CTY.zip
    5.1 KB · Views: 37

SCPD

QRT
I have downloaded freescan, however, I have to pickup a serial cable to connect the scanner to my pc. The cable that came with the scanner has a standard serial connector on one end, and a small connector on the other end that connects to the pc. I need a USB type connector on the pc side to connect. Also, the attached file you indicated PINAL CTY.zip will not open. Is needs a file attachment to open. So far my experience with this new scanner has not been very good.

teufler

Radioreference makes you send files in zip format. any unzipping program will work. I use a USB to serial adapter made by TRIPP-LITE. iTS MODEL u209-000 R. You can use Google and search for zipping programs. Several frees one will come up.

SCPD

QRT
Is the Tripp-Lite , model u209-000 R compatible with the Uniden BCD996Xt scanner that I have? I assume the serial part of the cable connects to the back of the scanner and the usb plugs into a USB port on the pc. Do I need to install a driver for this serial adaptor?

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Kd7etf
Don't know about your specific question above. However, in a broader context, hang in there with that new 996XT. I have had the 996XT for several years. It takes a while to really master the radio. The Easier to Read Manual that others mentioned is an excellent resource. Once you get familiar with the many functions, I think you will love the 996XT.

Steve AA6IO

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
kd7etf- never try to use Windows Explorer to open files. It has a nasty habit of corrupting files.

7-Zip is freeware and will do most anything that utilities like WinZip will do...the link is blue.

And we have an extensive article on USB-serial connectors in our wiki...the link is in the article I gave earlier.

Mike

teufler

the Tripp lite usb to serial adapter , it should wOrk on 996. tHE adapter comes with a disk of all the drivers. it runs on an xp machine i have. I also have an older 386 machine that I keep for programming where the software likes dos. Motorola rss and yaesu, midland, gem rca, etc, like dos not windows. Uniden sells a cable that has usb rather than serial so that may be a better alternative to you. no drivers, just plug and go. Older machines still have their purpose.

SCPD

QRT
Next, download the program FreeScan from https://sites.google.com/site/sixspotsoftware//products/freescan. This will be indispensable in programming the 996. Then, get a premium membership in RadioReference to enable you to download frequencies of your choice right into FreeScan, and then upload to the scanner. In the end, it'll be fairly easy to transition to the 996. Like yourself, most of my other scanners are much older (PRO-2006, PRO-93, BC-890XLT and such). There will be a learning curve to your new one, so be prepared. My advice is to only focus on what you need/want to know how to do at first. There's just too many bells and whistles to this baby!
I have downloaded freescan, file does not open, no error message etc. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.