Uniden BCT15 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

twengland

I am waiting the arrival of my new BCT15 on Thursday. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a GPS unit that will work with this scanner.

Thanks in advance.

K9GTJ

twengland said:
I am waiting the arrival of my new BCT15 on Thursday. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a GPS unit that will work with this scanner.

Thanks in advance.

Any NEMA compliant GPS with a serial output will work. The Garmin line of hand held models work well but you need to switch the output to NEMA instead of the Garmin proprietary default.

I picked up a Garmin OEM version which is much more discrete than one with an LCD.

http://www.garmin.com/products/gps18oem/

Any listed for the BCD996T will work...

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BCD996T#GPS_Units

Last edited:

Dave_D

Check out Garmin's GPS-18. You can "Buy It Now" on eBay for ~ US$80.00. Look for "GPS 18 OEM." I've had mine connected since the BCT15 first hit our shores and absolutely love it!

Be aware: the GPS-18 comes in multple varieties. The "PC" version has a 9-pin serial connector and cigarette lighter power adapter. If the serial pinouts are a match for the BCT15 -- I'm not sure -- then it's plug-and-play. The "LVC" version has open-ended wires, for fabricating your own solution. There's also a "USB" version, but this'll do you no good.

I purchased the LVC version for hard-wiring into my car, but ultimately would've saved some money had I gone with the PC version and chopped 'er up. With the LVC version, I had to purchase a step-down transformer to go from the vehicle's 12V to 4.5V; $30 at RadioShack. This is built into the power adapter of the PC variant.

I hope this is helpful.

Dave

K9GTJ

Dave_D said:
Check out Garmin's GPS-18. You can "Buy It Now" on eBay for ~ US$80.00. Look for "GPS 18 OEM." I've had mine connected since the BCT15 first hit our shores and absolutely love it!

Be aware: the GPS-18 comes in multple varieties. The "PC" version has a 9-pin serial connector and cigarette lighter power adapter. If the serial pinouts are a match for the BCT15 -- I'm not sure -- then it's plug-and-play. The "LVC" version has open-ended wires, for fabricating your own solution. There's also a "USB" version, but this'll do you no good.

I purchased the LVC version for hard-wiring into my car, but ultimately would've saved some money had I gone with the PC version and chopped 'er up. With the LVC version, I had to purchase a step-down transformer to go from the vehicle's 12V to 4.5V; $30 at RadioShack. This is built into the power adapter of the PC variant.

I hope this is helpful.

Dave

The PC version works fine. It is the one I have. ProVantage.com has them for $68. I picked mine up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.