Uniden BCT15X Discontinued?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
t6z2hc.jpg

I know it's getting old in the teeth..but the BCT15X is just about the only analog base model Uniden offers. I've seen some oddball 800 MHz one. It would be a shame if they do discontinue an analog base model.

I just picked one up off eBay before they're "possibly gone".

Should get here by Friday. I'll post some pics.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Where on that page do you see "Discontinued." I tried to find it so I could get it fixed. We're just out of stock online.

cash082

Premium Subscriber
It is. I suggest to anyone that doesn't need a P25 scanner, buy a 15x. Have been for years. Tried and true like an HT1000. Survived lots of weather in my Jeep and my Explorer. Now it's inside providing a ProScan feed. Never stopped going, and it's been on for years.
Hope you enjoy it. Make sure you get some programming software for it or else you will be lost probably. Also make sure you read the "easier to read manual" that helps a lot. It's a steep learning curve. Once you get to know the 15x you can handle a 996XT or comparable portable scanner. I just got a 536HP..that's a whole new steep learning curve! I personally use ARC XT for programming and like it. It all comes down to personal preference..

Last edited:

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Okay thanks for the tip on the programming software. I enjoy programming my radios by hand though. :)

I'm going to read the manual online so I'm ready to set it up. How do you like the weather alert/light feature? That and the bear tracker light seems pretty cool.

kayi4cle

Premium Subscriber
I got my first BCT15X 3 years ago and it's still going strong. It's the best analog receiver I've ever had, and now that PD/FD has gone digital I use it mostly for air, milair, railroad, and business. I see that Amazon has them at $171.63 with free shipping. Their prices vary but I haven't seen them this low before. Good luck with yours and happy scanning!

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
I got my first BCT15X 3 years ago and it's still going strong. It's the best analog receiver I've ever had, and now that PD/FD has gone digital I use it mostly for air, milair, railroad, and business. I see that Amazon has them at $171.63 with free shipping. Their prices vary but I haven't seen them this low before. Good luck with yours and happy scanning!

$171.63 isn't bad. But, the free super saver shipping Amazon offers nowadays is painfully slow.

I shelled out $168 on eBay and it came with free Priority Mail. It is new in box. Should get here Friday. I don't think you can beat that.

That's a shame your local PD/FD went digital. Hopefully not digital encryption. I'm also planning on using the 15X for air, railroad and business with a few LEO's thrown in. The 396XT will be performing digital duties only- to speed it up.

But. I'm eyeing the 996XT next. I'll sit it on top of the BCT15X. :)

Last edited:

KD4UXQ

Where on that page do you see "Discontinued." I tried to find it so I could get it fixed. We're just out of stock online.

I did not see discontinued. Also discontinuing this fine radio would be a huge mistake. I recently bought one for mostly monitoring VHF and UHF aircraft. It is very impressive in this regard. No birdies, not a one. Great sensitivity and does not get overloaded by nearby strong signals. No intermod and so far no image frequency issues in these bands. I was considering buying a used Pro-2006 on eBay as I used to enjoy using one for this purpose. So glad I bought the BCT15X. It beats that radio hands down in performance, and the Pro-2006 was a fine radio. If you need a great radio for MilAir this is a great one for a great price. If the BCD536HP performs as well, I'll be getting one soon mainly because of my experience with the BCT15X. My BCD396XT still is all I need for a handheld, but I also want a better mobile version.

The BCT15X also covers the often too many times left out 380-400 Mhz portion which is still being used for MilAir, despite the fact that it is being used for trunking. The DoD can use this band anyway it wishes and they do. I still find plenty of MilAir comms on 380-400 when visiting the east coast of Florida. No FCC regulations there. DoD frequency managers assign these frequencies and although there may be so called band plans, anything that is needed goes. And Commanders can ignore frequency managers if the mission requires it, but they better have a very good justification for it ! Their career and pension could be in jeopardy. My point is that you can't depend on any so-called band plans with DoD frequency assets.

Bodyblue

Premium Subscriber
$171.63 isn't bad. But, the free super saver shipping Amazon offers nowadays is painfully slow.

I shelled out $168 on eBay and it came with free Priority Mail. It is new in box. Should get here Friday. I don't think you can beat that.

That's a shame your local PD/FD went digital. Hopefully not digital encryption. I'm also planning on using the 15X for air, railroad and business with a few LEO's thrown in. The 396XT will be performing digital duties only- to speed it up.

But. I'm eyeing the 996XT next. I'll sit it on top of the BCT15X. :)

That is what I paid two months ago as well. I love mine now that I have it figured out but holy Bearcats Batman!, what a confusing item to program, especially with trunking systems. The manual that comes with it plain flat sucks. The one talked about above is a MUST. Also if you plan on using your comp to program you will need to buy a serial/USB adapter cable since most computers dont have serial ports anymore. Good luck, I love mine but the first week with it I wanted to set it on fire just to watch it burn to a cinder.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
That is what I paid two months ago as well. I love mine now that I have it figured out but holy Bearcats Batman!, what a confusing item to program, especially with trunking systems. The manual that comes with it plain flat sucks. The one talked about above is a MUST. Also if you plan on using your comp to program you will need to buy a serial/USB adapter cable since most computers dont have serial ports anymore. Good luck, I love mine but the first week with it I wanted to set it on fire just to watch it burn to a cinder.

Haha. I know what you mean about being tough to program.

I used to have the BCT15X's little brother, the 346XT, so it should be a bit easier for me to program the BCT15X!

Thanks for the serial/usb adapter cable tip. I picked one up a while back for the 396XT to pick up the discriminator tap stuff. Ran the program for 20 minutes then put the cables away and deleted the program. I didn't see the point of it, plus it was tying up the scanner to where I couldn't hear any transmissions. lol.

ZGX

As long as there are users who need analog only, the BCT15X will thrive. Mine has survived four years in my patrol car without issue. Could it be dumbed down for more of the layman user, sure. But it serves well and is tough.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
She came in today!

20zy1qf.jpg

jkf79k.jpg

I'm using an external Uniden BC15 speaker (not pictured).

I like it a lot so far. Scans fast!

Last edited:

Bodyblue

Premium Subscriber
She came in today!

20zy1qf.jpg

jkf79k.jpg

I'm using an external Uniden BC15 speaker (not pictured).

I like it a lot so far. Scans fast!

Glad you like it, are you using it for trunking systems? The antenna it came with is not that great but I took a chance and bought one the funky PVC ones of eBay that guys make at home and it really works like a champ. I ran it out through my sliding glass window and hung it from my balcony roof and I easily get strong signals from 25 miles away no problem and farther from units up in the Sierra foothills...I am northern part of Sacramento county and I easily get Placer, El Dorado, Sutter, Yolo, and Yuba countys and some of Nevada county depending on the repeater used. Those are all conventional systems and I get the Sac county trunking systems 5 by 5. I bought a Radio Shack remote speaks for the other side of the couch.

Attachments

• IMG_20140616_141643_088.jpg
    IMG_20140616_141643_088.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 1,242
  • IMG_20140616_141458_703.jpg
    IMG_20140616_141458_703.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 2,550
  • IMG_20140616_141432_496.jpg
    IMG_20140616_141432_496.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 1,163

avdrummerboy

Nice setup, mine is used for the local TRS as well as the slew of conventional channels that are in use around my area. Works well, even with the stock antenna. My RS scanner picks up the TRS with antenna not even attached lol

compuscan

"bought one the funky PVC ones of eBay that guys make at home and it really works like a champ"

I know this thread is old but that antenna looks like a nice one. Do you know the model or seller of this Antenna? Do you have any suggestions for an inexpensive outdoor antenna including DIY.

Status
Not open for further replies.