Uniden BCT15X Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keyman97

Hello everyone,

I recently just purchase 2 used BCT15X scanners and I'm having a problem with both of them. I can program in the systems I want to monitor no problem with free scan but when I actually go to listen to them on the scanner I receive nothig, no signal bars and NFM is constantly displayed. I or originally thought that it might be the antenna port on the back but when I go to close call I am able to pick up my handheld walkie-talkies no problem. Both of them are doing this and I cannot seem to figure out how to fix this problem. The system I am trying to scan is The bell Fleet net system and Ontario and I am particularly trying to listen to MOH Hamilton which is analog. If someone could help me that would be greatly appreciated. I also did a firmware update on them and they are both running the 1.5 firmware in this did not fix it and I also double checked that nothing was locked out. Thanks.

Keyman97

The program I uploaded onto the scanner is the same one I put in a bct15 and 996t that I own so it shouldn't be that unfortunately...

Blackink

If you transmitted with your handhelds near the scanners you could have fried something.

Sounds like what you posted could be serious but I think the OP was having problems before he tested his handhelds to see if he could hear them on his scanners.

If the OP could post his FreeScan file, others might be able to help him....

Keyman97

I talked to my local Uniden dealer where I've bought stuff before and they reccomeded me to put the scanner in service search and see if it would pick up the walkie talkies, which it did. I have also tried to upload different systems into the scanner both trunked and conventional and it won't pick up anything on both, and like I said before, the systems I have uploaded are the same as what I've put in my other scanners, and they all work.

trp2525

Keyman97

Unfortunately I did also try this as well, didn't seem to make any difference. I even tried downgrading the firmware version (which also didn't work) and then tried updating it again (also didn't work).

JamesO

Try NOAA Weather channels if you have any close by.

Then try anything below 50 MHz or 30 MHz and see what happens.

Many of the 15/15X, 996T/XT can have a failed mixer or transistors that will likely receive over 30 or 50 MHz.

Keyman97

I put the scanner on CC and it picked up a nearby local radio station so I know the scanner is able to receive fine. When you say put it on weather do you mean WX SCAN? I tried that and got nothing.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Did you try the same programming that is in the BCT15 as that is the scanner that is closest to the BCT15X. If I remember I had to make new list for my 2 BCT15X as the File for the BCT15 did not want to work.

trp2525

If you just recently purchased these 2 scanners maybe you can get your money back from the seller(s) as it sounds like they are not receiving a thing even after re-loading the firmware and performing a factory reset. Perhaps there was a problem with both of them initially or ? some additional damage was done by keying a transmitter in close proximity to the scanner as has already been mentioned above.

In any case if you can't get a refund from the seller(s), it may be time to send the scanners to Uniden for factory repair. The current cost is $69.95 plus $10 shipping and handling in the USA (or $15 to Canada): https://repair.uniden.com/rates.cfm. I have personally used their repair service in the past and IMHO Uniden does a very thorough job of restoring your scanner to like-new condition for a reasonable flat-rate charge.

I don't know how much you paid for your used BCT15X scanners, but you might want to consider buying a brand-new BCT15X from Walmart for $160.53 (as of this posting) with FREE shipping included (https://www.walmart.com/ip/13022841). At least by buying brand-new you will have a full 1-year warranty from Uniden. If you purchase it with a credit card that doubles the manufacturer's warranty for free, you will have a 2-year warranty and the peace of mind that goes along with it.

Keyman97

Yes the program that is in the 15 is the exact same as what I put into the 15x. Unfortunately the scanners are past the warranty date. Looks like I'm going to have to contact Unidens repair service and send them out ��. Thanks everyone for the useful suggestion tho, really appreciate it!

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Before I would ship a scanner off that hears some traffic I would invest in the premium subscription and default the scanner and download from the RR database to the scanner and see if that fixes the problem.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
If only one 15X was involved, I would say maybe it may be the scanner, but for two 15Xs to have the same issue, sounds like a programming issue. I would the press Hold/Resume button, enter in 1) your strongest weather channel and 2) a couple of known FM radio frequencies. If you hear the weather and FM stations, then your front end(s) is probably OK.
To enter in say 100.000 Mhz FM, press hold/resume, then 100.000, then hold/resume.

Status
Not open for further replies.