BCT15X: Uniden BCT15X randomly stopped receiving. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EVANTYSEVEN

Premium Subscriber
turn it on and let it scan does it stop on anything and is there a signal on the signal meter?

I did that as well to see if I could get anything, nothing at all was catching.

Does the display show that it is scanning? If not, what is on the screen?

Yes, the display shows that the scanner is scanning in the system I programmed in. I even held the scanner to the frequency to the one I was trying to listen to, and my mobile was grabbing it while the BCT15X was not.

We'll see what Uniden says. Will keep you all updated.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Yes, the display shows that the scanner is scanning in the system I programmed in. I even held the scanner to the frequency to the one I was trying to listen to, and my mobile was grabbing it while the BCT15X was not.
It could be something as simple as a dirty headphone or speaker jack. Did you try plugging in headphones or an external speaker? If the contacts on the headphone and speaker jacks do not close properly, it can mute the internal speaker.

Bob1955

Hi there.

Last night, while sitting in my van listening to the scanner, it seemed to randomly stop receiving transmissions. My mobile (Baofeng UV-5R) was continuing to receive frequency 412.4625 with CTSS tone 107.2, but my BCT15X was not. I thought perhaps that my antenna got busted, but even when using the antenna provided with the unit, it was not receiving.

Because the unit is only four-ish months old, I got concerned, and frantically started googling what the issue could be. I performed a factory reset, and then reprogrammed in my frequency and settings from memory, and still no avail. I even messed with the squelch settings to see if it would receive - nothing.

What can I do? I'd really like to avoid sending the unit to Uniden as I need the unit here and working ASAP. I will be opening it up and checking for any loose wiring or damage today, but considering how new the unit is, I'm not sure what I'll find. Could really use help/advice here.

Thanks,

Evan
Reaper Roadside
DO NOT open it up-your warranty will be VOIDED!

EVANTYSEVEN

Premium Subscriber
It could be something as simple as a dirty headphone or speaker jack. Did you try plugging in headphones or an external speaker? If the contacts on the headphone and speaker jacks do not close properly, it can mute the internal speaker.

I didn't try that, no. But the small bar that indicates signal strength wasn't showing up when it should have been receiving and I could still hear the beeps from pushing buttons and junk.

DO NOT open it up-your warranty will be VOIDED!

Bit late for that one, mate! ;)

Bob1955

I didn't try that, no. But the small bar that indicates signal strength wasn't showing up when it should have been receiving and I could still hear the beeps from pushing buttons and junk.

Bit late for that one, mate! ;)
OMG dude1
:cry:Call my buddy Paul/Melissa at Bearcat Warehouse on Monday at 877-568-7226 and even though you didn't purchase it from them, see what advise they could give you! I think the audio amplifier is out. By any chance was there a lightning strike nearby or a transceiver used nearby this devise?
Sleep tight dude.

EVANTYSEVEN

Premium Subscriber
OMG dude1
:cry:Call my buddy Paul/Melissa at Bearcat Warehouse on Monday at 877-568-7226 and even though you didn't purchase it from them, see what advise they could give you! I think the audio amplifier is out. By any chance was there a lightning strike nearby or a transceiver used nearby this devise?
Sleep tight dude.

That's a long distance number for me, it'll rack up a huge charge (I'm from Canada). I already sent the scanner back to Uniden as it's only a few months old, so hopefully they can fix it. Even if I have to pay, it's better than having a $300 paperweight

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Evan the 15 series scanners are very tuff it does no harm to open and look you did the right thing when the scanner gets back please update us so if any others have this problem they can see what may be wrong.

EVANTYSEVEN

Premium Subscriber
Just an update for anyone who was still watching this thread:

I still haven't received my BCT15X back from Uniden, which some of you may remember, I sent to them on July 25th. As tomorrow marks the first of September, I'm starting to get a little concerned as to when I will receive my scanner again. I'm understanding with the world's current situation that there may be slowdowns, but I have no emails, phone calls, nothing to indicate if/when my scanner will return. Should I reach out to Uniden?

EVANTYSEVEN

Premium Subscriber
You'll probably receive it or hear from them soon. I think 4 weeks is the typical turnaround time.

Hope so! I picked up a used scanner from one of my buddys getting out of towing, a BC785D which has been working fine for me right now in the meantime. I'd like to have my BCT15X back so I can focus the digital BC785D receiving fire/ems and the BCT15X locked to OPP. Had zero issues with the BC785D using the exact same setup as I had on the BCT15X, so I've been inclined to believe it was just a defective/improperly built unit.

With all that aside, I still miss it. First scanner I ever bought new and I didn't even get to play with it for more than a couple months :(

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Just an update for anyone who was still watching this thread:

I still haven't received my BCT15X back from Uniden, which some of you may remember, I sent to them on July 25th. As tomorrow marks the first of September, I'm starting to get a little concerned as to when I will receive my scanner again. I'm understanding with the world's current situation that there may be slowdowns, but I have no emails, phone calls, nothing to indicate if/when my scanner will return. Should I reach out to Uniden?
While up to 4 weeks for a repair to be completed is not totally out of whack, I believe that I would touch bases with Uniden to make sure that there is something needed from you to complete the process. You would also be find out if the repair is being delayed because they are waiting on one or more parts to arrive. Contact UnidenSupport via a message sent from RadioReference. That member, I believe, is not physically at the repair facility, but should be able to you some sort of updated status.

EVANTYSEVEN

Premium Subscriber
While up to 4 weeks for a repair to be completed is not totally out of whack, I believe that I would touch bases with Uniden to make sure that there is something needed from you to complete the process. You would also be find out if the repair is being delayed because they are waiting on one or more parts to arrive. Contact UnidenSupport via a message sent from RadioReference. That member, I believe, is not physically at the repair facility, but should be able to you some sort of updated status.

I'll give it a shot! Just sent them a message, so hopefully I'll hear back soon

wtp

i have a 396T.
i am the only one that uses it or even touches it.
i heard nothing one day.
the squelch had gone from 2 to 15...?
once you computerize something, it has a mind of its own.

EVANTYSEVEN

Premium Subscriber
i have a 396T.
i am the only one that uses it or even touches it.
i heard nothing one day.
the squelch had gone from 2 to 15...?
once you computerize something, it has a mind of its own.

My squelch was always set relatively low. Not 0, but enough that I could hear a transmission through some moderate static. I thought maybe my squelch was the issue but as stated above I performed a factory reset of the scanner and then reprogrammed it, which didn't solve my issue.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
There is no excuse for Uniden not supplying regular updates on your repair. Yaesu, for example, gave me regular email updates, and replied back to my questions daily when I sent my VR-500 for a screen repair (after 15 years of use, btw).

EVANTYSEVEN

Premium Subscriber
There is no excuse for Uniden not supplying regular updates on your repair. Yaesu, for example, gave me regular email updates, and replied back to my questions daily when I sent my VR-500 for a screen repair (after 15 years of use, btw).

I'm not sure then. I still haven't heard from them even after reaching out to the Uniden Rep on this site, and it's been over four weeks. I followed all their instructions on sending in units for repair so I'm not sure what's going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.