I was watching a couple of Youtube videos on programming both conventional and 800 mhz trunked systems. It seems to me right away this radio is TEDIOUS to program. I dont understand the concept. My old Radio Shack pro 2055 is MUCH simpler to program. I guess the newer radios dont use BANKS anymore. But the newer radios seem very time consuming to program. The "system" and "group" thing has me confused. But if you even have to program in each talkgroup ID........that will take forever. My 2055 automatically programs the TG ID's as you listen.
You have to understand trunking sites and talkgroups to program the more modern scanners.
What all new people to the hobby need to learn and answer these questions.
1. What is it you want to hear? (Police, Fire, EMS, what is the range you expect (how far do you want to hear)?
2. Where are you located?
3. What is your budget?
4. Do your homework What Type Systems are in use in your area. (P25, DMR, NXDN, SIMULCAST, TRUNKING)?
5. How technological savvy are you?
6. Do you want a Base Mobile or Handheld?
7. Do you understand BASIC COMPUTER COMMANDS (DOS COMMANDS)?
8. If needed can you put up your own outside antenna?
9. If you require assistance PLEASE LIST
A. Where you are.
B. What type Scanner you have.
C. How you are trying to program it (by hand or Software and IF BY SOFTWARE WHAT BRAND AND VERSION.
D. What problem you are having.
Answering all the above questions will give you the best option to buy the scanner that best works in your requirements and get you the best assistance from the members here.
There is not 1 member here that can answer a question posted this way. MY SCANNER DOES NOT RECEIVE.