Uniden BCT15x Tedious to program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I was watching a couple of Youtube videos on programming both conventional and 800 mhz trunked systems. It seems to me right away this radio is TEDIOUS to program. I dont understand the concept. My old Radio Shack pro 2055 is MUCH simpler to program. I guess the newer radios dont use BANKS anymore. But the newer radios seem very time consuming to program. The "system" and "group" thing has me confused. But if you even have to program in each talkgroup ID........that will take forever. My 2055 automatically programs the TG ID's as you listen.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Are you sure you had the correct scanner? The 15x is pretty easy to program. The newer Uniden scanners are a serious PITA compared to the older Unidens.

And yes the BCT-15x uses "BANKS" ... but they're a bit more flexible than the old R/S scanner days.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I find the Uniden scanners easier to program manually than Radio Shack. It is far easier and faster if you use programming software. FreeSCAN is free and will do the job for your 15X.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
You should also invest in a RR subscription to enable you to download frequencies and systems of interest directly into FreeSCAN. While today's scanners don't have the pre-sized banks of yesteryear, you can arrange your own "banks" of sorts, programming anything you want and sizing the "banks" to your individual preference.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I was watching a couple of Youtube videos on programming both conventional and 800 mhz trunked systems. It seems to me right away this radio is TEDIOUS to program. I dont understand the concept. My old Radio Shack pro 2055 is MUCH simpler to program. I guess the newer radios dont use BANKS anymore. But the newer radios seem very time consuming to program. The "system" and "group" thing has me confused. But if you even have to program in each talkgroup ID........that will take forever. My 2055 automatically programs the TG ID's as you listen.
You have to understand trunking sites and talkgroups to program the more modern scanners.
What all new people to the hobby need to learn and answer these questions.
1. What is it you want to hear? (Police, Fire, EMS, what is the range you expect (how far do you want to hear)?
2. Where are you located?
3. What is your budget?
4. Do your homework What Type Systems are in use in your area. (P25, DMR, NXDN, SIMULCAST, TRUNKING)?
5. How technological savvy are you?
6. Do you want a Base Mobile or Handheld?
7. Do you understand BASIC COMPUTER COMMANDS (DOS COMMANDS)?
8. If needed can you put up your own outside antenna?
9. If you require assistance PLEASE LIST
A. Where you are.
B. What type Scanner you have.
C. How you are trying to program it (by hand or Software and IF BY SOFTWARE WHAT BRAND AND VERSION.
D. What problem you are having.
Answering all the above questions will give you the best option to buy the scanner that best works in your requirements and get you the best assistance from the members here.
There is not 1 member here that can answer a question posted this way. MY SCANNER DOES NOT RECEIVE.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It does NOT use 'banks'. The 15x is a DMA scanner, so the architecture is built around Systems, Sites and Groups.

But before we go any further, Budd's questions are excellent, but perhaps the most important is where you are - county/state will do fine. Once we know that then a correct scanner for your area can be recommended, and we can proceed to the other questions, which are also important....Mike

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
You have to understand trunking sites and talkgroups to program the more modern scanners.
What all new people to the hobby need to learn and answer these questions.
1. What is it you want to hear? (Police, Fire, EMS, what is the range you expect (how far do you want to hear)?
2. Where are you located?
3. What is your budget?
4. Do your homework What Type Systems are in use in your area. (P25, DMR, NXDN, SIMULCAST, TRUNKING)?
5. How technological savvy are you?
6. Do you want a Base Mobile or Handheld?
7. Do you understand BASIC COMPUTER COMMANDS (DOS COMMANDS)?
8. If needed can you put up your own outside antenna?
9. If you require assistance PLEASE LIST
A. Where you are.
B. What type Scanner you have.
C. How you are trying to program it (by hand or Software and IF BY SOFTWARE WHAT BRAND AND VERSION.
D. What problem you are having.
Answering all the above questions will give you the best option to buy the scanner that best works in your requirements and get you the best assistance from the members here.
There is not 1 member here that can answer a question posted this way. MY SCANNER DOES NOT RECEIVE.

I vote for this to be a sticky on this forum.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
OK I will answer the above questions because I am interested in this scanner. First off I really dont want to invest right now in a EXPENSIVE digital radio. There is plenty to listen to in my area (analog). OK.
I am located in Cranston Rhode Island. Antenna is Diamond discone up about 30' with good clear shot to horizon. I don't normally listen to Police with exception of only a FEW local ones that have not gone digital.
My main listening, how my banks are set up is as follows:
Bank 0 - Aircraft. Bank 1 - local police, fire, rescue, airport utilities/security, mostly central RI and southeastern Massachusetts. Bank 2 The state prison (ACI), using LTR system, about 8 frequencies. Bank 4 - The 800 mhz (trunking) Motorola Mass state police (other state agencies on here too) Have talk groups programmed too but pretty much the radio finds them anyway. And Bank 7 - Malls, hospitals, colleges and other odds and end businesses etc. Thats about it. I programmed all this manually.
Radio is Radio Shack Pro-2055 - LMR-400 (50') to Diamond discone 30'
I used to use DOS quite a bit before getting into Linux in 2003 so I remember some DOS commands.
A lot of the Police depts in RI are on RISCON (p25) and so is state police. I just can't justify spending $$$$ on a digital radio right now. I have really plenty to hear as it is. I find the police chatter is mostly routine and the juicy stuff usually encrypted or they use cell phones so I am not too interested in that.
I am pretty much looking to upgrade to what I already have....the 2055 getting old and I assume the 15x is technically a little more improved.
As far as I know there is no DMR or NXDN in my area (yet)
I get pretty good results with my current setup.
The video I watched, this guy was programming the 15X manually and it really turned me off thinking about having to do that.
I will renew my custom membership on here if I can get help and someone can show me how to program the 15X through this website.
Thanks.....Bob

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Just keep in mind that the 15X is an analog trunking only radio and will not do RISCON...that being said, we have lots of help in getting comfortable with the DMA technology this scanner uses. You can start here, and note that there is an Easier to Read manual linked at the bottom...

There are 3 apps - the first is freeware - that work with this scanner - FreeScan, ARC-XT and ProScan. The other 2 have 30 day free trials, and all will download data from the database. Doing it this way is far and away easier than all that knob twirling.

Unfortunately digital scanners these days are pricey, altho you might find a 996XT or 396XT for a decent price on FleaBay if you want to take a chance... Mike

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Just keep in mind that the 15X is an analog trunking only radio and will not do RISCON...that being said, we have lots of help in getting comfortable with the DMA technology this scanner uses. You can start here, and note that there is an Easier to Read manual linked at the bottom...

There are 3 apps - the first is freeware - that work with this scanner - FreeScan, ARC-XT and ProScan. The other 2 have 30 day free trials, and all will download data from the database. Doing it this way is far and away easier than all that knob twirling.

Unfortunately digital scanners these days are pricey, altho you might find a 996XT or 396XT for a decent price on FleaBay if you want to take a chance... Mike
Yep, got it. I realize this is analog radio. Thats fine. Lots of activity all the time here analog. OK so I am going to pay for a premium membership to get ball rolling, and then order a 15x. I see there are selling cheep for $149 on Overstock.com. I presume once I pay for membership I will be able to download the software. No clue how to use it though so I may need help.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
The 15x will not receive your local Cranston PD, as they're P25 digital in the UHF band. Understandably, you have a budget you wish to stick to, and while the 15x is well reviewed on this forum, you'll be limiting yourself significantly. That said, perhaps you can find something more capable on the used market. RISCON is also Simulcast, which many basic digital scanners have difficulty receiving. But if you have no interest in that, it won't matter.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
The 15x will not receive your local Cranston PD, as they're P25 digital in the UHF band. Understandably, you have a budget you wish to stick to, and while the 15x is well reviewed on this forum, you'll be limiting yourself significantly. That said, perhaps you can find something more capable on the used market. RISCON is also Simulcast, which many basic digital scanners have difficulty receiving. But if you have no interest in that, it won't matter.
Yes I understand. I am inundated anyway with analog signals in my location so I have a lot to hear. I have never been too interested in police chatter. I have a cop friend who told me in some instances like drug busts, stakeouts, robberies....a lot of that stuff is handled on cellphones or encrypted. But we don't get much of that stuff here with exception of minor situations. Not sure about drug busts though!!!! Probably a lot of them! I prefer the fire and rescues....there is always action in the clear. Plus in my location I can hear all sorts of stuff from Providence, non-police but interesting stuff from hotels, convention centers....they have small repeaters in these places and I can hear them. I can hear the workers at the zoo on their walkie talkies too.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I presume once I pay for membership I will be able to download the software.
FreeSCAN is not affiliated with RadioReference, and can be downloaded from here. Once FreeSCAN is installed on your computer, provided you are running Windows that is, frequencies and systems can be downloaded through the software directly from RR. It's best to experiment with FreeSCAN to become familiar. Just keep in mind that you can't permanently screw anything up if you make mistakes. You can always overwrite the scanner's programming.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
FreeSCAN is not affiliated with RadioReference, and can be downloaded from here. Once FreeSCAN is installed on your computer, provided you are running Windows that is, frequencies and systems can be downloaded through the software directly from RR. It's best to experiment with FreeSCAN to become familiar. Just keep in mind that you can't permanently screw anything up if you make mistakes. You can always overwrite the scanner's programming.
OK I have Windows 10. But do I need some sort of special CABLE to transfer the data?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Yep, got it. I realize this is analog radio. Thats fine. Lots of activity all the time here analog. OK so I am going to pay for a premium membership to get ball rolling, and then order a 15x. I see there are selling cheep for $149 on Overstock.com. I presume once I pay for membership I will be able to download the software. No clue how to use it though so I may need help.
SOFTWARE and PREMIUM SUBSCRIBER are 2 different things and are paid for SEPARATELY unless using FREESCAN.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Yes I understand. I am inundated anyway with analog signals in my location so I have a lot to hear. I have never been too interested in police chatter. I have a cop friend who told me in some instances like drug busts, stakeouts, robberies....a lot of that stuff is handled on cellphones or encrypted. But we don't get much of that stuff here with exception of minor situations. Not sure about drug busts though!!!! Probably a lot of them! I prefer the fire and rescues....there is always action in the clear. Plus in my location I can hear all sorts of stuff from Providence, non-police but interesting stuff from hotels, convention centers....they have small repeaters in these places and I can hear them. I can hear the workers at the zoo on their walkie talkies too.
You do have many analog options in your locale, and keeping an open mind about what you wish to hear gives you an advantage. You're correct about not being able to hear the really juicy communications over unencrypted radio. Interestingly, many years ago when I lived in Westerly, RI, I was able to monitor, in the clear, a DEA drug bust taking place in Providence. I don't expect that anymore.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
You do have many analog options in your locale, and keeping an open mind about what you wish to hear gives you an advantage. You're correct about not being able to hear the really juicy communications over unencrypted radio. Interestingly, many years ago when I lived in Westerly, RI, I was able to monitor, in the clear, a DEA drug bust taking place in Providence. I don't expect that anymore.
Hahaha I lived in Westerly too back around 2004 to about 2006. We lived up high on School St. and I had my antenna up in an old pine tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.