Uniden BCT8 vx Uniden BCT15X

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeroz51

I am thinking about getting a BCT15X. I have a BCT8 - thinking about exchanging it since I found the BCT15X for the same price online. I use the scanner as a home base unit - listen to local, surrounding counties, Air, Weather, News, and all the preprogrammed stuff. BCT15X has 9000 channels. The features I am not familiar with are "Location Based Scanning and Close Call Feature". What do these mean? And would it be a good idea to swap scanners?? Thank you!

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
If you have enough change hanging around to be able to buy the BCT15X and keep the BCT8,I would keep both scanners.

Now location-based scanning is a feature that automatically selects programmed systems based on your location when connected to a compatible GPS receiver and close call is a feature that searches for strong radio signals around a mile to two miles alway from you.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You should also become more familiar with the systems in your area. I believe there is a TXWarn system in your neck of the woods used by some agencies that is P25. The 15X won't handle this system.

If the P25 version of TXWarn is going to cover your entire area and encompass all your public safety stuff (assuming that's what you want to hear), you're going to need a digital trunktracker at some point.

best regards..MIke

maalox

and if your in ny like me ill have to pay sales tax to the order plus shipping. would not be bad if they gave you free shipping . so ill stay with scanner master or grove enterprises..

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
i had a 30 channel uniden at my house, works great for me seeing as im out in the middle of no where, but for my patrol truck for my security business i have a BCT15X as to listen to Utica, and Rome, NY cause theyre on the EDACS System. its great with the Cloase Call and the Weather Alerts, its not digital, but its defineatly worth every penny.

Bronco90

Premium Subscriber
I bought a BCT15X just last week. I am impressed with it. There are only 2 cons I have with it. 1) there is no printed manual that comes with it, just a manual on a disk. 2) it comes with a serial port-scanner connection cable instead of a scanner-USB cable. As for 1) thats easy, don't even open the disk, it is very confusing. It sends you from web page to web page, basically it stinks. Go to "Mark's Easy to Read Manual" for the BCT15X. One page, and starts at the beginning & goes step by step to the end. I did a factory reset on my new scanner and then just followed his manual from the start. Also explains all the terms ect.
as for 2) serial ports are on the way out, I have all laptops now because I am lazy when on computers and don't like to sit at a desk. Laptops do not have serial ports. But you can find serial to USB adapter cables for $7 to $40 bucks. The $7 ones work just fine, if I find the web site I'll post it.
Also if you decide to get the BCT15X you can use "FreeSCAN" to program it and control it from your computer for free. Works great, easy to use, does everything the $39 ones do for free.
But anyway I love mine works great. Little by little I am slowly exploring and learning more things it does with the help of the members here at RR.
Good Luck

aeroz51

Thank you for the information. I noticed that the live data feeds for my counties are being provided by a BC15XT... im assuming its the same as the BCT15X (perhaps a typo?). I found a BCT15X at Fry's Electronics for the same price that I purchased my BCT8 (seriously thinking about taking it back and getting the BCT15X instead).

Last edited:

aeroz51

I guess my question is "Will the BCT15X pickup channels that the BCT8 does not?" I know the BCT15X has gps scanning and 9000 channel capability. I do like the headset option on the BCT15X.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I guess my question is "Will the BCT15X pickup channels that the BCT8 does not?" I know the BCT15X has gps scanning and 9000 channel capability. I do like the headset option on the BCT15X.
You can easily see the differences in the Wiki:
BCT15X
BCT8

While there are a number of differences in frequency coverage listed, the most noticable is that the 15X covers the military aircraft band; the BCT8 does not.

Also, there's a bigger difference than just "more channels" in the BCT15X.
The BCT8 has five banks, 50 channels, and you can enter 50 tallk groups (for a trunked system) in each bank. So that's your limit- five trunked radio systems, no more than 50 TGID's for any one of them. To get more talkgroups on a given system, such as the analog TxWarn (not the digital, since neither of these scanners is digital), you'd have to use a second or third bank, programmed for the same system.

For the BCT15X, while you have 9000 'channels' to work with (frequencies or talkgroups), you can have up to 500 trunked systems, and enter up to 500 talkgroup ID's for a system.

If the BCT15X is anywhere within waiving distance of the cost of the BCT8 (and it usually is), the choice would be easy for me- go with the 15X. Hopefully, you can return the BCT8, without taking a big hit.

Long term, though, you will need a digital scanner, as that's where the systems that interest you are headed- digital.

Bronco90

Premium Subscriber
Click Here For a link to the Freq range of the BCT15X.
(When you click the link scroll down to the 5th diagram listed as "Frequency Range")

And below is a pic of the BCT8 Freq range.

BCT-8.png

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.