Uniden BDC436HP GPS Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

kstonecipher

Premium Subscriber
I have tried to get my BDC436HP to autolocate using the GPS antenna. It will not autolocate. Is anyone else having this problem. I feel right now the GPS was a waste of money.

Thanks

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't be hitting the panic button just yet. I've used three other Uniden model scanners with GPS devices and they've worked quite well, after some initial struggling.

The biggest challenge I had in the beginning was getting the GPS unit and the scanner to communicate. I did not have the baud rate settings correct on the scanner and GPS.

Another issue I had (and I hate to admit this publicly) was trying to set the GPS up while inside of a concrete fire station. I wasn't receiving a GPS signal and got to saying all kinds of bad words because my location wasn't showing up.

Yet another potential problem is that the GPS is using a decimal degree format and the scanner is looking for a degree/minute/seconds format. They must be the same, otherwise it's like trying to use a phillips screwdriver to loosen a slotted screw - they just don't match up.

Hang in there and do some more tinkering with the settings - you'll get it.

Last edited:

kstonecipher

Premium Subscriber
The Scanner was set to the manual specifications of 4800 bps. The Garmin tests were done in the open - I was not in a contained building. I purchased the Garmin unit when I purchased the scanner. There was nothing between the antenna and the satellites. The format was the default of DDD MM SS ss. It was giving me a county name for the nearest city name. Then it gave me a city name that was west of my location by 15 miles. Then when I keep responding NO button, it was say it could not location use another method.

woody_46

I don't have a GPS unit to help out but what you are describing is the radio auto locating which it can do without a GPS . Auto locate gives an approximation only within probably 20 miles. If the GPS was working or configured correctly it would be precise.

rwier

In the HP-1 (I know, different scanner) "Auto Locate" is a method of establishing a "rough" location by an analysis of the radio channels/frequencies that are presently in the vicinity of the radio. I've only used it twice. Once when I first got the radio (returned a "co-ordinates" result about 50 miles away), and once today (returned MARICOPA COUNTY) to try and answer your question. With the HP-1, "Auto Locate" has nothing to do with the GPS options. GPS options should give your location within a hundred feet or so.

This post is probably not helpful as the new scanners may not work like the HP-1. Also, only "Auto Locating" twice, three years apart, I may be just blowing hot air, lol.

phask

Premium Subscriber
If you are using auto-locate, you're confused. It works just like rwier described in the hp1. It does not use the GPS.

ez way to check the gps, disconnect the gps, set your location using a zip code that is far away - say in California. Set range to 30. Load the entire db and it should load CA stuff.

Now plug in the GPS, I'm guessing a screen will come up asking if you want to use it, and it should switch and re-load local MI. and your range go to 0.0.

If that does not work - something is wrong - not sure where and how the gps staus displays on the 436.

kstonecipher

Premium Subscriber
Great information. You are correct about the autolocate. That is a radio frequency finder not a GPS feature. I will run another test. Thank you.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
The Scanner was set to the manual specifications of 4800 bps. The Garmin tests were done in the open - I was not in a contained building. I purchased the Garmin unit when I purchased the scanner. There was nothing between the antenna and the satellites. The format was the default of DDD MM SS ss. It was giving me a county name for the nearest city name. Then it gave me a city name that was west of my location by 15 miles. Then when I keep responding NO button, it was say it could not location use another method.

What Garmin model? You may need a null-modem adapter in line with the connecting cable.
Uniden Scanner GPS Features - The RadioReference Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.