• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Uniden BEARCAT 980

lowtechjd

My rig:

Radio:

Uniden BEARCAT 980 40- Channel SSB CB Radio with Sideband NOAA WeatherBand

Power supply:

Pyramid PS9KX Universal Compact Bench Power Supply-5 Amp Linear Regulated Home Lab Benchtop Converter w/ 13.8 Volt DC 115V AC 70 Watt Input, Screw Type Terminal

Antenna:

Nagoya CB-72 28" CB Antenna (26-28 MHz), Center Coil-Loaded Heavy Duty Spring with Magnetic Mount, Includes 18' of RG-58A/U Cable with a PL-259 Connector

I am using this radio as a base station.

The problem… I’m getting a strong signal as soon as I turn on the radio. Even with the squelch turned all the way up, I still hear a clicking noise. This signal is constant, on all channels 1-40, including upper and lower sideband. The only thing that comes in clear is the NOAA weather station, but I know that’s in a different frequency range.

Also, according to the built in swr meter (I’ve read its unreliable) my swr’s are running from 6 to 8+. I’m out of ideas guys and I don’t know what to try next. Thank you for any help.

N1EXA

FT8 Huntin Mudd Duck on the deep end of the pond !
Where is the antenna ?
It was designed to put on a roof of a car.
You need the correct antenna located outside away from computers and other devices.

Peter N1EXA

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The problem… I’m getting a strong signal as soon as I turn on the radio. Even with the squelch turned all the way up, I still hear a clicking noise. This signal is constant, on all channels 1-40, including upper and lower sideband. The only thing that comes in clear is the NOAA weather station, but I know that’s in a different frequency range.

This sounds like local interference. Where is the antenna located and how is it mounted?

Also, according to the built in swr meter (I’ve read its unreliable) my swr’s are running from 6 to 8+. I’m out of ideas guys and I don’t know what to try next. Thank you for any help.

At 28 inches, it's an extremely inefficient antenna. Where it is located and how it is mounted will play a big role in its performance. Tell us more about how you've installed the antenna.

lowtechjd

Where is the antenna ?
It was designed to put on a roof of a car.
You need the correct antenna located outside away from computers and other devices.

Peter N1EXA
The antenna is inside the house which I've seen others do with success.
I've attached the antenna to a cookie sheet which I've seen others have success with.
I moved all equipment (power supply, antenna, radio) to an area inside the house with no electronics.

That's what's so frustrating, I'm using the same setup others have used. Its really frustrating.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

A lot depends on the construction of your home. Most homes have metal vapor barrier on the back of the insulation, that will block RF. Metal lath behind plaster/stucco will block RF. Wiring, plumbing, HVAC ducts, all block RF.

I've attached the antenna to a cookie sheet which I've seen others have success with.

On higher frequencies, something like a cookie sheet can work as an acceptable ground plane. But a ground plane wants to be 1/4 wave length out away from the antenna. A cookie sheet will work fine for UHF, and passably for VHF.
On CB frequencies, it's looking for a 9 foot conductive surface going out in all directions under the antenna. Less can work with reduced performance, but a cookie sheet for CB is WAY too small.

I moved all equipment (power supply, antenna, radio) to an area inside the house with no electronics.

The noise can travel quite a ways. It can come from cable TV wiring, electrical wiring, home electronics, any number of things. Could even be coming from the power supply itself.

That's what's so frustrating, I'm using the same setup others have used. Its really frustrating.

There's just too many variables involved to copy someone else's system and expect it to work in your situation.

Ideally, you need to get the antenna outside, and in the clear. Inside the home isn't ever going to work well.
You need a more efficient antenna and a suitable ground plane.

It'll take some time and effort, but it can be made to work.

lowtechjd

So, I turned on my radio with the antenna unplugged and all was quiet. I'm returning that antenna and am now looking for recommendations on antennas. Thanks guys.

prcguy

Antennas don't make noise, they pick up RF signals. Your antenna is a small mag mount mobile antenna and at best will probably not talk to anyone more than a few blocks away. It also needs a lot of flat metal under it like tip over your refrigerator and stick the antenna on the side, which will still not be enough metal to work and match well. Used inside the house, your will pick up all kinds of interference from household items as you seem to be experiencing. You should consider an outside antenna to get it away from noise sources inside the house and also get an actual base antenna, which is going to be large but that's what works.

So, I turned on my radio with the antenna unplugged and all was quiet. I'm returning that antenna and am now looking for recommendations on antennas. Thanks guys.

MindenJoe

I once had a mobile antenna on top of my old fiberglass RV and had 4 old real estate signs joined together for my ground plane (only used when the RV was parked). If I remember, I had a decent SWR readings. It would get out 4 or 5 miles depending on conditions. I once even reached a trucker on a nearby mountain pass around 24 miles away! All of these contacts were line of sight and had no obstructions in between. You can build a dipole yourself for under $20.00.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
CB antenna in attic

Especially: CB antenna in attic

Simple and Inexpensive Dipole and V Antenna Mount by KL7JR

A Stealthy Homebrew Vertical Dipole Antenna Using Mobile CB Antennas

M-J has lots of ideas. He’s well-liked for his low buck DIY stuff.

Plenty of articles online. Search “cb radio attic antenna”.

While better than what you report today just don’t expect a lot compared to a true outdoor antenna well done.

An entire website devoted to new guys (and old) is:

Radiowavz Bazooka Antenna Review | CB Radio Magazine

I purchased this antenna for your kind of situation based on this article plus other reviews.

DIPOLE isn’t the solution every time, but it’s the handiest to use and to store. (Many configurations possible).

Beginner discussions on base antennas.

Last edited:

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
FWIW, I spent most of the day installing an antenna mount and the coaxial cable run in a Class 8 tractor. Systems precede componentry.

Tomorrow it’ll be the power run.

Antenna, radio and miscellaneous are second to antenna mount/coax + power. Just things we plug-in to the real “radio system”.

1). Antenna location + Mount.
2). Coaxial cable run.
3). 12V power.

I’d like to also recommend an external speaker. A UNIDEN BC20 is a good choice. The built-in speakers don’t reproduce well enough to bother with.

Bearcat 20 Watt External Speaker

tvengr

Well Known Member
The problem… I’m getting a strong signal as soon as I turn on the radio. Even with the squelch turned all the way up, I still hear a clicking noise. This signal is constant, on all channels 1-40, including upper and lower sideband.
Since you are getting wideband interference, I would suspect something like a USB power supply. The switching power supplies are notorious for that. Computers can also be a source of wideband interference. Even radio and TV receivers can radiate signals. I would suggest unplugging all of the electronic devices in your house to attempt to isolate the problem. These days many appliances have microprocessors such as washers, dryers, refrigerators, microwave ovens, electric stoves, dishwashers, and even toasters. Any of these can be a source of interference. LED and fluorescent lights can also be a problem. If you are in a rowhome, it could be something in your neighbor's house. See if a portable AM radio also has interference. If it does, walk around the area to find the source of the interference. You could also use a CB portable if you have one or run your 980 from batteries.

N1EXA

FT8 Huntin Mudd Duck on the deep end of the pond !

Rinse Repeat !

Pete N1EXA

prcguy

Good success with an inside the house antenna is not normal and in nearly all cases it sucks pretty bad. Many years ago (like the late 70s) I spent quite a bit of time trying to get a good signal out on CB with an indoor antenna and at best I got maybe a few miles during quite times in the evening with no skip and I was really weak to others. During the day with some skip conditions I couldn't contact anyone at all using a stock CB. I had a nearly full size ground plane in a wooden structure near a big window with 9ft of wire vertical for about 7ft then it bent over at the ceiling and a bunch of 9ft ground radials and that is probably 10X better than a tiny mag mount on a cookie sheet.

The problem is a house is full of wiring and pipes in walls that shield and interact with RF signals. Some houses will have foil backed insulation in the walls or worse, a stucco building where the entire thing is covered in metal lath, making a huge shield. You can't go about setting up an indoor antenna and expect much if anything out of it, that is just the way it is.

If you were to try a "normal" CB base antenna, lets say an 18ft fiberglass stick like an Antron A99 just leaning up against the house at ground level, it will work way better than anything you can use inside the house. Stick that same antenna on a vent pipe on the roof and you will enjoy another huge increase in performance and range.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Things you need to do:
1. Your SWR is far too high, you need to work on that.
2. As far as interference, you need to as an experiment, power the radio from a 12 v battery and turn off the main switch for a short time and see what happens to your interference. If you do not try doing that, you may just be wasting your time.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Good success with an inside the house antenna is not normal and in nearly all cases it sucks pretty bad. Many years ago (like the late 70s) I spent quite a bit of time trying to get a good signal out on CB with an indoor antenna and at best I got maybe a few miles during quite times in the evening with no skip and I was really weak to others. During the day with some skip conditions I couldn't contact anyone at all using a stock CB. I had a nearly full size ground plane in a wooden structure near a big window with 9ft of wire vertical for about 7ft then it bent over at the ceiling and a bunch of 9ft ground radials and that is probably 10X better than a tiny mag mount on a cookie sheet.

The problem is a house is full of wiring and pipes in walls that shield and interact with RF signals. Some houses will have foil backed insulation in the walls or worse, a stucco building where the entire thing is covered in metal lath, making a huge shield. You can't go about setting up an indoor antenna and expect much if anything out of it, that is just the way it is.

If you were to try a "normal" CB base antenna, lets say an 18ft fiberglass stick like an Antron A99 just leaning up against the house at ground level, it will work way better than anything you can use inside the house. Stick that same antenna on a vent pipe on the roof and you will enjoy another huge increase in performance and range.
Sirio Boomerang A27

Know a man has one of these on a painters extendable pole in a 5-gal bucket with broken cinder blocks to hold it steady. Erects it on patio of townhouse when home from being on the road. Reports satisfaction given its limitations (still talks Skip).

Sometimes called “an apartment balcony antenna”.

That’s the reason I bought one for my RV.
I can store it away.

prcguy

Outside on a balcony is better than inside a house with wiring in the walls, etc.

Sirio Boomerang A27

Know a man has one of these on a painters extendable pole in a 5-gal bucket with broken cinder blocks to hold it steady. Erects it on patio of townhouse when home from being on the road. Reports satisfaction given its limitations (still talks Skip).

Sometimes called “an apartment balcony antenna”.

That’s the reason I bought one for my RV.
I can store it away.