• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Uniden Bearcat 980SSB Remote Face Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

NavyGator

For anyone that was following the thread I am not gonna complete the build.

The brand new 2016 Tacoma has some issues with the software for the transmission that finally caused me to trade it in for a new vehicle.

Maybe someone will find this info useful later.

DanielJay

Sorry to bring up an old thread. This is great information. Was just wondering if anyone has actually tried this and had success or failure with doing this?

LoyalServant

I'l bite... even if it's a two month old thread.. sorry :)

So the 980 and like radios have a 35 position ffc from the front panel MCU to the main board.
There is actually no RF present in any connection but there are a few things that will be affected.

1. There are several signals being fed into an ADC in the MCU.
2. There is a bitbanged SPI bus and several latch/chip select lines.
3. There are three power supplies running up there (5,8, and 13v)

Most of the 35 positions in the flat flex cable are carrying power supplies or data lines.
There is not a lot of analog stuff in there.
If I remember correctly only 12 lines actually had signals and the other 23 were literally +5v or GND.

It's doable... but you would need to shield some things from one another.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Looks like it would have been an interesting project.
I was looking for something similar, a remote head CB radio that could be mounted well out of the way since I rarely need it. I usually only need it on longer road trips.

I'd been looking for years. The few "all in the mic" units were not what I was looking for, wanted the RF section remote'd and just a control head up front.

Took a long time, but one day surfing the net I ran across the Uniden CMX560. It was what I was looking for. Since I did not need SSB, SWR meter or any of the bells and whistles, it worked for me. They sell a higher end version with weather, etc. CMX760, but I've already got a VHF in my truck. Anyway, since I primarily wanted it for listening to highway traffic, I wasn't really too concerned if it was not "the best". Just needed to to receive locally and transmit occasionally.
Turned out to be a pretty good radio. All the controls are in a hand held control head type setup. The big benefit is it used 8 conductor cable between the RF deck and the hand held control head. It's got an RJ-45 jack on the RF deck, and an RJ-45 plug on the control head/mic. So I was able to mount the RF deck behind the rear seat of my truck, where all the radios are, tap into an unused NMO mount and 12 volts off an ignition switched timer. I used an old Ethernet cable to run from behind the rear set to under the dashboard. I cut off the RJ-45 plug and installed a jack. Plugged the mic in and it works just fine.

No issues with extending the control cable. The Ethernet cable I used is just plain old category 5, not shielded.
I was able to reuse a Motorola speaker that I already had under the dashboard, so it sounds pretty good.

Works just fine for what I needed. A simple, low profile CB radio. There when I needed it, out of the way when I didn't.

Did some research, and the radio itself is made by President and sold under the President Williams name.

TheStonerGuy

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not allowed to transmit on CB frequencies with ham equipment even if its capable.

Well, your project (whether it works or not), is illegal to use as it's not longer FCC approved once modified so pick-the-pickle you'd prefer to be in.

TheStonerGuy

Uniden 980 remote panel

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not allowed to transmit on CB frequencies with ham equipment even if its capable.

Unfortunately, my test equipment is limited to a multimeter and a bottle of jack daniels so a lot of this is gonna be using the measure twice cut once approach.

I will also need to figure out how I'm going to solder the FFC connector to the breakout board as I have never done any SMT soldering. I'm hoping I can call in a favor at work to get it done.

Your best bet is to use a HAM rig w/remote face panel. You'll find that (most likely) you still get interference with those rigs, but the 980 is a mediocre rig at best, not worth the time and expense. Whatever you choose, good luck!

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Amplifiers are not allowed, either, yet are used every day.
And directional Antenna here.

Why not an Mice Adapter and control the Radio over that?

Status
Not open for further replies.