• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Uniden Bearcat 980SSB Remote Face Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

NavyGator

Hi,

I’m new to the forum but a post I came across in another thread caused me to join up to post a project and hopefully get some support from the members.

I know there are concerns about voltage drop, interference, etc with this project and it might not work in the end.

My goal is to take a Uniden Bearcat 980SSB and make it a remote face unit to mount in my 2016 Tacoma. There is very limited dash space to mount aftermarket accessories in my truck and I don’t want a huge radio up on my dash or just randomly placed.

I’m working on designing a shell to mate with the face of the radio and one to mate with the body to be 3D printed from an online source. Both pieces will need to have room to mount a breakout board for at least the 35 pin FFC cable and a chassis/panel mount connector(s) to connect the body and face together.

I need help identifying the 4 internal connectors attaching the face to the main board. If you can provide some help here guys I would appreciate it.

35 pin FFC/FPC looks like probably .5mm pitch

4 pin connector

6 and 8 pin look to be same style with different pin counts

I will update the thread as I progress through the project.

Rich

Attachments

• 20161115_095643 - Copy.jpg
    20161115_095643 - Copy.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,606
  • 20161115_095659 - Copy.jpg
    20161115_095659 - Copy.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,533
  • 20161115_095706 - Copy.jpg
    20161115_095706 - Copy.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,509

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Don't bother. You're going to have problems with RF interference and leakage, and the ribbon cable in particular is not designed to handle a situation where it is likely to get knocked around regularly. Your remote head isn't going to work reliably, and you'll probably have lots of issues with RF interference affecting the other electronics in the vehicle.

There's also a distinct possibility that the circuitry is not designed to handle long wire runs (especially the ribbon cable), and if you extend things, it simply won't work at all. Look up why there are cable length limits on USB, Firewire, Lightning, etc. Besides cable losses, you also run into timing issues when you lengthen the wiring.

JayMojave

Hello NavyGator: Iam sure it can be done making a remote control panel, its doable, but may cost more in time/labor and parts than say a ham radio that has that option, with same or close control head size. However:

Suggest you probe the connector pins with a oscilloscope and determine what the signals are, like lighting voltages, grounds, power voltages, digital pulses, and what ever else is in those connectors.

I understand that Uniden has not released a service manual for the 980 radio making it more difficult for such a mod. I would call Uniden any how, with such a technical they may connect you with some tech or eng that knows how that is done and can send you some info, be annoying and constant. Publish their phone number.

Next I would figure how do the ham radios use a small number of wires in a shield using a modular type connector to control there radios like a Yaesu FT891 and FT857 radios as a example.

Iam sure theres someone out there who knows how this is all done, or you need to do the engineering and figure it all out. In my simple mind there is a multiplex circuit that can do all the functions without too much hoo raw. Good luck, please keep us updated, very interested project.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

NavyGator

Hello NavyGator: Iam sure it can be done making a remote control panel, its doable, but may cost more in time/labor and parts than say a ham radio that has that option, with same or close control head size. However:

Suggest you probe the connector pins with a oscilloscope and determine what the signals are, like lighting voltages, grounds, power voltages, digital pulses, and what ever else is in those connectors.

I understand that Uniden has not released a service manual for the 980 radio making it more difficult for such a mod. I would call Uniden any how, with such a technical they may connect you with some tech or eng that knows how that is done and can send you some info, be annoying and constant. Publish their phone number.

Next I would figure how do the ham radios use a small number of wires in a shield using a modular type connector to control there radios like a Yaesu FT891 and FT857 radios as a example.

Iam sure theres someone out there who knows how this is all done, or you need to do the engineering and figure it all out. In my simple mind there is a multiplex circuit that can do all the functions without too much hoo raw. Good luck, please keep us updated, very interested project.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not allowed to transmit on CB frequencies with ham equipment even if its capable.

Unfortunately, my test equipment is limited to a multimeter and a bottle of jack daniels so a lot of this is gonna be using the measure twice cut once approach.

I will also need to figure out how I'm going to solder the FFC connector to the breakout board as I have never done any SMT soldering. I'm hoping I can call in a favor at work to get it done.

NavyGator

Don't bother. You're going to have problems with RF interference and leakage, and the ribbon cable in particular is not designed to handle a situation where it is likely to get knocked around regularly. Your remote head isn't going to work reliably, and you'll probably have lots of issues with RF interference affecting the other electronics in the vehicle.

There's also a distinct possibility that the circuitry is not designed to handle long wire runs (especially the ribbon cable), and if you extend things, it simply won't work at all. Look up why there are cable length limits on USB, Firewire, Lightning, etc. Besides cable losses, you also run into timing issues when you lengthen the wiring.

ummm....thanks for the input.

NavyGator

Digi-Key will probably be my source for most parts due to typically having more wallet friendly quantities available than Mouser.

Here is what I have so far for the FFC parts. The breakout board has more pins than I need but it seems like it will work best for me. Digi-Key part numbers are listed.

Adafruit
FPC ADAPTER 50PIN 0.5MM PITCH
1528-1096-ND

Molex
35 Position FFC, FPC Connector Contacts, Bottom 0.020" (0.50mm) Surface Mount, Right Angle
WM8856DKR-ND

Wurth
35 Position FFC Cable 0.020" (0.50mm) 3.94" (100.00mm)
732-5184-ND

Attachments

• MFG_1492.jpg
    MFG_1492.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,355
  • 0541323562.jpg
    0541323562.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 1,387
  • 687635100002.jpg
    687635100002.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 1,309

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!

They use a data connection that sends messages between the mic/remote head and the radio indicating what control has changed and what its new status is. For example, when the channel up button is pressed, a digital message is sent to the radio. The radio responds by sending messages to the head indicating the new channel number, channel name, channel frequency, power level, etc. It's the only practical way to have a remote head.

Blackswan73

I used a modded Icom 751a for several years as a CB base. Worked fine, audio was clean, and reception was excellent, much better than even the top line CB base units. My adjacent channel interference was non existent on my Icom.

cmdrwill

Your 'remote control ' idea ' should work. Motorola uses a flat ribbon 'control' cable on GM and M series remote mount radios. Never had a problem.

Do NOT let the ney sayers affect your idea.

We even had Johnson CB radios remoted AKA trunk mount.

KD8DVR

Amazon is famous for putting returns right back on the shelf for resale.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All comments are personal opinion only and may not imply actual fact.

NavyGator

The 4, 6 and 8 pin connectors are all 2mm pitch.

I need to try and identify the actual connectors now. Hopefully, it will be rather easy between mouser and digi-key.

NavyGator

I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what kind of connectors these are. It would be awesome to find cable assemblies with these connectors on them.

Single row
8 pin
2mm pitch
Keyed
Locks in place with 2 small nubs that mates with the socket on the board

The 6 pin connector is identical.

The 4 pin connector looks to be the same style of connector with the same pitch but for a smaller wire gauge.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20161118_083024.jpg
    20161118_083024.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 1,343
  • 20161118_083400.jpg
    20161118_083400.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 1,310

NavyGator

I think I might have found my connectors and sockets. Looks like I will not be using a special crimper for this project....700 to 1000 dollars for one lol. Needle nose pliers it is.

JST Sales America
4 Position Rectangular Housing Connector Receptacle Natural 0.079" (2.00mm)
455-1164-ND

JST Sales America
6 Position Rectangular Housing Connector Receptacle Natural 0.079" (2.00mm)
455-1162-ND

JST Sales America
8 Position Rectangular Housing Connector Receptacle Natural 0.079" (2.00mm)
455-1189-ND

JST Sales America
Contact Crimp Socket 24-28 AWG Tin
455-2148-1-ND

Attachments

• PHR-4_sml.jpg
    PHR-4_sml.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 998
  • PHR-6_sml.jpg
    PHR-6_sml.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 1,012
  • PHR-8_sml.jpg
    PHR-8_sml.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 1,002
  • SPH-002T-P0.5L_sml.jpg
    SPH-002T-P0.5L_sml.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 1,034

NavyGator

Do any of you guys have a thought on some kind of connector/cable to use between the face and body of the radio?

NavyGator

It looks like I will probably use 2 separate cables. DB25 and DB50.

I would have liked to found one cable to use but this looks like my best option.

I will use the DB25 for the 4, 6 and 8 pin connectors and the DB 50 for the 35 pin FFC.

I need to think about it and decide if I want to use a connector on the head unit or just solder the wires directly to my breakout board and the jumpers inside the unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.