Uniden Bearcat BCD436HP first impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
What i don't like is so far it is eating through enelope batteries at the rate of 3 fresh ones every 8 hours. Any one know if this is an ok rate?

From my experience with the battery charge, yes ~8 hours.

I don't like the fact that i can't plug the scanner in and scan while it charges the batts or with batts in the unit or out of the unit like past models can.

Actually you can power the radio from the USB. When you plug in the supply it will ask you "USB Cable Detected Select USB mode. Mass Storage = "E", Serial Port = ".". Just select serial port, then it will scan while on external power. Without batteries in the radio, select the Serial Port "."

It should ask you if you want to charge the batteries when you plug in the USB, or tell you that there are no batteries.

TDHG4U61

Premium Subscriber
What I think about the 436HP?

I got mine last Thursday and wow, a handheld device with a large screen with lots of data to show but still two days almost got the hang it, still complicated on assigning Keys within a Fav list so I use the zip code, perhaps in 2 weeks I will figure it out. I wish the TGID and the RADIO ID number near the bottom area was large enough to see like the other lines, but it's so tiny. I used a screen protector (cut to size) and what about a belt clip? I have been doing leather work for 30 yrs making my own cases attached with a spring belt clip from Tandy Leather, smart ha. Battery life? About the same or better than the 396 but I have my own AA alkaline in 5 packs of 36 from last year. It is just an amazing new radio,

Thank you Uniden.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I got mine last Thursday and wow, a handheld device with a large screen with lots of data to show but still two days almost got the hang it, still complicated on assigning Keys within a Fav list so I use the zip code, perhaps in 2 weeks I will figure it out. I wish the TGID and the RADIO ID number near the bottom area was large enough to see like the other lines, but it's so tiny. I used a screen protector (cut to size) and what about a belt clip? I have been doing leather work for 30 yrs making my own cases attached with a spring belt clip from Tandy Leather, smart ha. Battery life? About the same or better than the 396 but I have my own AA alkaline in 5 packs of 36 from last year. It is just an amazing new radio,

Thank you Uniden.

I'm in the same boat with you...several weeks before I even feel comfortable with it. As it is different from my other scanners there is a learning curve for me as well.

When you put on the screen protector, did you spray both the inside and outside of the protector? I'm always worried about water getting in to the electronics when I did my cell phone and other things. If you don't make the inside wet it is hard to slide it around. Any tips?

Enjoy your new scanner.

Thanks.

Greg

yaesumofo

When you put on the screen protector, did you spray both the inside and outside of the protector? I'm always worried about water getting in to the electronics when I did my cell phone and other things. If you don't make the inside wet it is hard to slide it around. Any tips?

Enjoy your new scanner.

Thanks.

Greg

What I did was make a paper template.
I cut it out stuck it to the outside of an iphone 4 screen protector, (glare reduction) then I aligned it and installed it just like I would on an iPhone.
I did a quick job of it. and it is not perfect.it is certainly good enough considdering the fact that I used a used iPhone screen protector.
I think that using a flatbed scanner to create a template would be more precise.

I am pretty sure a nice quality packing tape would do the trick as well.
Thats what is on my 396T.

Yaesumofo

mrkelso

From my experience with the battery charge, yes ~8 hours.

Actually you can power the radio from the USB. When you plug in the supply it will ask you "USB Cable Detected Select USB mode. Mass Storage = "E", Serial Port = ".". Just select serial port, then it will scan while on external power. Without batteries in the radio, select the Serial Port "."

It should ask you if you want to charge the batteries when you plug in the USB, or tell you that there are no batteries.

OK I will try this Thanks.

Edited to Say: Yep it works just fine the way you explained it to me i have it set to serial with the batts in the radio, I am going to hang the unit on the shelf and take the batts out and listen to it.

Thanks again

Last edited:

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I cut it out stuck it to the outside of an iphone 4 screen protector, (glare reduction) then I aligned it and installed it just like I would on an iPhone.
I did a quick job of it. and it is not perfect.it is certainly good enough considdering the fact that I used a used iPhone screen protector.
I think that using a flatbed scanner to create a template would be more precise.

Yaesumofo

Thanks. I am terrible at screen protectors. They have a booth at our local mall here where they will put them on for you...but I'm going solo this time as well.

Greg

wise871

Database Admin

Yaesumofo

What brand of screen protector did you use?

TDHG4U61

Premium Subscriber
Ref screen protector

I'm in the same boat with you...several weeks before I even feel comfortable with it. As it is different from my other scanners there is a learning curve for me as well.

Enjoy your new scanner.

Thanks.

Greg

I ordered mine from Ebay to use on a laptop. Measured, cut, peel & applied directly to the screen. There are still tiny bubbles shown because the LCD is not perfectly flat, did not use any spray stuff on it.
If I may also add that any data you add or delete in one Fav list will edit to the other, some one correct me if I am wrong.

Hope that helps
Amos

Last edited:

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Thank you Amos. I guess some bubbles are expected, I hate them, but then learn to live with them.

I would be concerned about water damage.

Thanks for the info about the favorites list. I have not even started on mine yet. (I'm very slow on things like this...not mentally, just caution}

Have a great day

Greg

XTS3000

If you have a HP-1 and favorites setup already, you can export them to HPE file and import the HPE into the 436. Saves a bunch of time.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I ordered mine from Ebay to use on a laptop. M
If I may also add that any data you add or delete in one Fav list will edit to the other, some one correct me if I am wrong.

Hope that helps
Amos
No - whatever is done in one FL, stays in that one.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
If you have a HP-1 and favorites setup already, you can export them to HPE file and import the HPE into the 436. Saves a bunch of time.

Thanks. I do not have the HP-1. I have a PRO106 and Uniden 996T...Both of them are getting to be dinosaurs quick.

Greg

XTS3000

Thanks. I do not have the HP-1. I have a PRO106 and Uniden 996T...Both of them are getting to be dinosaurs quick.

Greg

There are HPE files available on the net. This can help programming favorites without having to enter in all the freqs. Saves time.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Thank you again. I will check it out. For now I am learning how to turn it on/off. :lol:

Seriously, I will take a look. I would be happy with a favorites list. Turning the range down to Zero was a big help, but still more than I want to hear.

Greg

rtharmon1

Premium Subscriber
You can't use this scanner in a car on a car adapter or in your house on a wall wart unless the batteries are charged?
It really sucks that you can't use this scanner at home on an AC wall wart that powers and recharges the batteries, then just unplug the power cord and use it mobile with fully charged batteries. Same thing with an auto charger. To me this is a serious drawback and I would think a scanner costing $500 - $600 bucks would be able to operate AND keep the batteries charged while connected to external power. What was Uniden thinking?

Kevinbb

PSAP-Retired
Premium Subscriber
Basically happy with my new 436HP

My wife told me that I've had a lot of scanners since 1974 while I was unboxing my new 436HP. My last purchase in 2011 was a PSR 800 and before that the 396xt. The GRE PSR 800 is a VERY nice radio and one that I will keep for now. From box to scanning was less than 5 minuets with the 436. The zip code feature and quick access to the National Data Base is cool. I guess I'm lucky as I didn't have any problems setting it up and writing pre made configuations to it with sentenial. You tube and reading the manual helped me get through these things. I can see where someone new to scanning could be frustraded and intimidated if they have a low tollorence to patience. The reception is about par with the PSR 800. Maybe just a tad better but not really noticable. I did notice a squech tail on a very close 800 type 2 motorola system however it doesnt do it all the time. I have a digital motorola system within range and it sounds very good also. There are two things that stick out that would be nice if fixed with firmware releases. One is the font size and making the back light brighter. I'm also trying to figure out how to make the backlite come on when the radio powers up. There is a lot of real estate on the display screen so hopefully some firmware updates with take care of these things. I've only scratched the surface playing with the rest of the features of this radio. The 436 is a keeper and well worth the $500 that I paid for it.

pwscott

Premium Subscriber
Charging and AC/DC Operation- Non-Issue

I have to disagree with you on this @rtharmon1. I strongly prefer to charge and condition my batteries in a capable charger like the Powerex, Maha or La Crosse units.

Would it be cool if the 436 had all of those capabilities built-in? Yes, I guess it would, but it can charge when it is powered off and that's enough for me. Further, I would definitely NOT want my AA NiMH batteries to constantly be getting a charge while I scanned with the USB connected. I also would not want the 436 design to have been any ;larger to incorporate simultaneous charging and conditioning.

So to me, a non-issue. Very pleased with overall product and will use it along with the 396XT and PSR-800 I have had for some time.

It really sucks that you can't use this scanner at home on an AC wall wart that powers and recharges the batteries, then just unplug the power cord and use it mobile with fully charged batteries. Same thing with an auto charger. To me this is a serious drawback and I would think a scanner costing $500 - $600 bucks would be able to operate AND keep the batteries charged while connected to external power. What was Uniden thinking?

Last edited:

greggk

Premium Subscriber
While we are on this topic, I purchased a USB charger from Radio Shack. I know its not the best. On one side is the wall plug, and the other side is the USB port. The specs say the USB port puts out 5 volts and 2.1 Amps.

Is that safe to use for charging the 436? I know the manual says 5 volts, +/- 5% Thank you.

Greg

rtharmon1

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I see your point. I am just used to some of the older hand held units like the Regency HX1000 that charged the batteries, then cut back to a trickle or no charge and the batteries were always charged and ready when you wanted to unplug and carry the scanner. Thanks for your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.