Uniden Bearcat BCD996P2 Police Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
jonwienke, Why do you tell him NOT to get the Bearcat BCD-996P2? Isn't USA a free country? There is a BIG price difference between both base scanners. Let him try the other one first. Geez
Because there's less than a 50% likelihood the 996 will work well on that system. It's not very intelligent to buy something that has a less-than-even chance of working, and have to pay shipping and restocking fees, then buy the right tool for the job anyway. While there are certain spots in a simulcast system where conventional digital scanners will work perfectly, in most places within the coverage area, they will have issues.

There are literally thousands of posts in the archives here complaining about simulcast decoding problems. Do yourself and everyone else a favor, and do a bit of searching and educate yourself before giving out any more bad advice.

Robertolson

Premium Subscriber
Try the 996p2 in a (large) simulcast p25 system ........... if it works ............you will be set......... The 996P2 is a great scanner............I tried it .........it didn’t work........ I now own Two SDS 200’s......... I still have my 996P2 for Conventional & Analog Trunking.

Last edited:

Bob1955

Bottom line, the SDS series is the only scanner to buy, $800 for total happiness, everything else is Cr*p. Somehow, every post on this site turns into an advertisement for the problem ridden SDS. Sad :(
I really don't think the Bearcat BCD-996P2 is "Crap". I know the folks personally at Bearcat Warehouse and they still sell loads of them. Ask "drdialtone" how well his BC-325P2 works on the Connecticut State Police Simulcast trunking system. I never over-buy and would NOT personally spend $699.95 for a SDS-200. I do however love the design of it with the color screen. Stay safe.

Bob1955

Try the 996p2 in a (large) simulcast p25 system ........... if it works ............you will be set......... The 996P2 is a great scanner............I tried it .........it didn’t work........ I now own Two SDS 200’s......... I still have my 996P2 for Conventional & Analog Trunking.
It works just fine here for me now. I'll sell it down the road as I bought it right.

Somehow, every post on this site turns into an advertisement for the problem ridden SDS.

All I know is the 996XT , 396XT and 325P2 work just fine for me.

No Simulcast Distortion.

So why spend all that money on the SDS scanner if you might have good luck with a non-SDS scanner?

I recommend buying the scanner from a dealer with a generous return policy, like Scannermaster.

Purchase risk free from the Scanner Master experts!
Most retailers just sell products and are not qualified to guide consumers toward the best buying decision which is critical when buying a scanner. No other retailer can claim:

• personalized service
  • 35+ years of police scanner experience
  • Hassle Free 30 day money back guarantee
  • trusted by police, military, news media, hobbyists and everyday folks

If it has problems, just exchange it! No damage done!

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
i would take a 996p2 at half the cost which work well on simulcast systems if programmed correctly over the more problematic sds scanners any day.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
i would take a 996p2 at half the cost which work well on simulcast systems if programmed correctly over the more problematic sds scanners any day.

There are others that would completely disagree with your statement, from actually using one of the SDS scanners. Correct programming has little to do with whether or not anything other that the SDS scanners will function reliably (if at all) on ALL simulcast systems - in ALL locations.

Here's one of many :

I will say that I have been a naysayer of the SDS100 since it was released. I thought, there is no way I will ever pay that much for a scanner no matter what. Fast forward, simulcast has hit me hard and fast since my state system switched to it in the county where I work about three weeks ago. Also the county moved from analog UHF to the same system, so I lost much of what I listen to in one lump. I sold my 325p2 plus 436hp and bought an SDS100. To say the least, I am blown away and amazed by it's performance, audio and the amount of information it provides on the screen. So far I will say this is the best scanner I have ever owned. Time will tell how it holds up, but for now this is pure joy!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
i would take a 996p2 at half the cost which work well on simulcast systems if programmed correctly
That is only accurate if you're in the right location. Take the scanner mobile doing a side-by-side comparison to the SDS and you'll see the difference. If you haven't done that, you have no idea what you're talking about.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
All I know is the 996XT , 396XT and 325P2 work just fine for me.
And that means nothing, given the location-dependent nature of simulcast decoding issues. If the models you mentioned didn't have thousands of posts here of people complaining about simulcast reception, the SDS models would never have been made.

Bob1955

Now at least someone is smart here. Never a PROBLEM with my BCD-996P2, ka3aa and perhaps the best scanner Uniden America Corporation has ever made. The BCD-536 has reported poor display and my friend has the BCD-436 which has a poor display and not good on analog VHF/UHF. I told him to get the Bearcat BCD-325P2, less money and problem free without that SD card. That BCD-436HP is NOT worth it's high price tag at all. Just my opinion here.

Bob1955

And that means nothing, given the location-dependent nature of simulcast decoding issues. If the models you mentioned didn't have thousands of posts here of people complaining about simulcast reception, the SDS models would never have been made.
John-The SDS-100/200 were rushed down the production line too fast. The 100 had battery issues which Uniden later corrected (bigger battery pack), then the 200 had the hmm issues and they sent out a repair fix for the end user. You gotta be kidding me. If I spent $699.95, there is NO way that I would be opening up a brand new scanner to "ATTEMPT" to modify it. I'm hearing that now it has been corrected. I would love to see one working but still would NEVER spend the price tag it dictates. Maybe down the road if Westchester County, NY goes all digital simulcasting/trukning. We are getting the Motorola Smart Zone ll UHF analog system replaced as I type. This was installed in 2009-2010 and has many dead spots. It is Fire 10-19 plus EMS/Firegrounds, ect.

RBMTS

I am going to take Jon's side. I live in an area of simulcast "h***". I have a friend that invested in a 996P2 & 325P2. They both miss a large amount of traffic on our state simulcast system due to the problem. We have tried more antenna gain, less antenna gain, attenuation, moving the scanners - everything you can think of. IT DOES'T HELP ! ! ! Setting the SDS200 next to them shows the advantages that the SDS series provides.

So Jon is spot-on. While those scanners are fine units (I'm certainly not disputing that), they are not the best solution for some locations. After reading some of the posts, if I were a newbie I'd think that the 996P2 or 325P2 work work for me as a lower cost solution (as my friend thought). That's simply not the case and people should be careful about the opinions they make as it could lead some people to make purchase decisions later finding that the scanners won't work for them and they can't return them.

IMHO

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
John-The SDS-100/200 were rushed down the production line too fast. The 100 had battery issues which Uniden later corrected (bigger battery pack), then the 200 had the hmm issues and they sent out a repair fix for the end user. You gotta be kidding me.
You don't own either unit, and I own both. I've also done extensive head-to-head comparison testing between the SDS100 and the 436, driving around in simulcast areas with both scanners connected to the same antenna, and know the difference in the SDS's performance. My comments are based on years of hands-on experience, you're just regurgitating stuff you've seen online without any firsthand knowledge. The advice you're giving isn't helpful, and will result in the majority of the people who follow it wasting time and money getting frustrated with a scanner that won't work properly. Do yourself and everyone else a favor and just stop.

Bob1955

New Rochelle is a conventional simulcast, it's not the same thing as a P25 trunked simulcast. The older model scanners (non-SDS series) often have issues with P25 trunked simulcast (LSM), not the stuff you're listening to. I would suggest that you stop claiming that there aren't issues with simulcast, when you may not fully grasp the differences I just pointed out. Or stop parroting doctordialtone's claims that there are "no cons", which is a bit ridiculous to state. Every piece of hardware as SOME downside, even a $5,000 APX ain't perfect. :rolleyes:
GTR8000-too bad if you don't like what I wrote. This BCD-996P2 is still rated "top" on many websites and said, "perhaps the BEST scanner Uniden America has ever made". NOT everyone needs or is willing to spend $699.95 on a SDS-200 that has had nothing but problems.
Have a great day.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
That is only accurate if you're in the right location. Take the scanner mobile doing a side-by-side comparison to the SDS and you'll see the difference. If you haven't done that, you have no idea what you're talking about.
The comparison side by side of my sds200 and bcd996p2 is night and day. The sds200 handles P25 simulcast MUCH better than the 996p2. However on certain sites I can receive simulcast sites on the 996p2 pretty good. What aggravates me is the ENDLESS variables of how many things affect reception of these sites. Like a novice troubleshooting the space shuttle. I love my 996 which I use for mainly milcomms and I monitor a P25 NON SIMULCAST system and it works great. It also is great for conventional. I dont use my sds200 for anything but P25 and Motorola trunked systems in the area. I have read stories about how conventional monitoring on the sds200 is lame, but I never monitored anything conventional on it. My bct15x does all conventional stuff.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
GTR8000-too bad if you don't like what I wrote. This BCD-996P2 is still rated "top" on many websites and said, "perhaps the BEST scanner Uniden America has ever made". NOT everyone needs or is willing to spend $699.95 on a SDS-200 that has had nothing but problems.
Have a great day.
As usual, you completely miss the point. Or maybe you just don't care, and enjoy trolling and posting half-truths.

I never once said the 996P2 is a bad scanner, in fact I happen to think the opposite. I use them often and have happily recommended them where appropriate, but not when the primary usage is for monitoring P25 trunked simulcast systems!

You can't seem to grasp the simple fact that the 996P2 and other scanners based on older hardware designs are not optimized for P25 trunked simulcast systems. Instead you just keep proclaiming how perfect the scanner is, how it has absolutely no flaws, and how your buddy doctordialtone's posts are supposedly the only opinion that matters and the ultimate final word. Nonsense. Get out of your little bubble and read the countless posts over the years by countless users who experience real world issues with these scanners based on older designs when it comes to P25 trunking simulcast, and maybe even an old timer like you can learn a few new things. Don't just read the posts by your buddy who confirms your opinion, expand your field of vision a little bit. One guy's experience in CT does not reflect the experience of the majority.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I travel a lot and there were times that my 996P2 couldn't hear anything from a lot of simulcast systems. These days I travel with an SDS200 and places that were previously unlistenable, are now listenable.

To each his own. I think we're done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.