Uniden Bearcat BCD996P2 Police Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

shirsch101

Premium Subscriber
I currently own a Bearcat BCT15X scanner and want to upgrade to digital. Any pros or cons on the BCD996P2 scanner. I liver in Chester County PA, with an outdoor antennae would I be able to receive Philadelphia Police?

Thanks

Steve

Bob1955

I currently own a Bearcat BCT15X scanner and want to upgrade to digital. Any pros or cons on the BCD996P2 scanner. I liver in Chester County PA, with an outdoor antennae would I be able to receive Philadelphia Police?

Thanks

Steve
Same as doctordialtone said, I have the BCD-996P2 and NO issues at all and a BRIGHT display screen too.

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
Negative - I just looked your area up, it is all simulcast there. The BCD996P2 is a great scanner of which i own but it will not receive that area well
Someone could link what simulcast disortion is

The Uniden SDS series are the only scanners which are able to receive simulcast

shirsch101

Premium Subscriber
Does it pay to have the reseller program the scanner for extra money or use Freescan and the database from Radio Reference and do it yourself.

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
I've owned the BCD996P2 for about a year and half now. It's a good scanner, I like it.

You will need some software for programming, this is a must. I use Proscan myself. there are NXDN & DMR systems I listen to, Freescan doesn't support those. I just recently entered a system and it took about a hour to do on the computer where it would have taken me several hours to do through the keypad.
You can have someone else program the radio initially, but you will need to learn to program yourself should you want to add systems later.
I've also downloaded systems from Radio Reference and imported them in to the scanner, not a big fan of this option. This will add encrypted and other channels that you will need to lockout or remove as they just take up memory space.
Thanks, Randy

Bob1955

I've owned the BCD996P2 for about a year and half now. It's a good scanner, I like it.

You will need some software for programming, this is a must. I use Proscan myself. there are NXDN & DMR systems I listen to, Freescan doesn't support those. I just recently entered a system and it took about a hour to do on the computer where it would have taken me several hours to do through the keypad.
You can have someone else program the radio initially, but you will need to learn to program yourself should you want to add systems later.
I've also downloaded systems from Radio Reference and imported them in to the scanner, not a big fan of this option. This will add encrypted and other channels that you will need to lockout or remove as they just take up memory space.
Thanks, Randy
There is NOTHING WRONG with the BCD-996P2, mine does get with simulcasting. You just have to adjust the P.25 audio levels. Mine is at Auto on 155.130/NAC 100 and it is a trouble free scanner too. Not everyone need zip code programing and a SD card to get corrupted. Plus it takes over 20 seconds for the scanner to go on. The BCD-536HP has a horrible display even though I like a full alpha display. It is NOT worth the additional money in these economic times. Just my thoughts here. I would love to see a SDS-200 working as I heard someone say they just got a decent one from Bearcat Warehouse with no hum at all.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The SDS is not the only scanner that can receive simulcast, but it is designed to receive it without the distortion caused by multiple signal paths. I am in a location where I am able to receive my local system without problems. I use an upgraded by Whistler Pro-18, and as mentioned by Bob1955, he is also able to use his 996 without garbled reception. Every simulcast system has small differences, and what works for one person may not work for another.

mikewpu04

Does it pay to have the reseller program the scanner for extra money or use Freescan and the database from Radio Reference and do it yourself.
That depends on if you want to learn how to program it yourself or not. A dealer like Scanner Master would do a fine job programming it for you, but what if the systems in your area change? (and they most likely will over time). There are tons of resources online to learn how to program the radio. Software such as ProScan has also turned out to be very much worth the investment.

Bob1955

Purchase the Bearcat BCD-996P2 from Bearcat Warehouse in Maryland and ask for Melissa. They will charge you $70 to program the 1st county but will also do the latest software update that is 1.80.01 on that product. I own this scanner and have NO simulcast issues at all. Try this one first before spending $699.95 but also tell Melissa what agencies you want to monitor. Let her be the final judge.
Their number in MD is 877-568-7226 or www.bearcatwarehouse.com and they also ship ALL digital scanners free and no sales tax.
Hope this helps you out. Stay safe.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Learn to do it yourself.

Do not get the 996 for simulcast systems. While it may work OK in some specific locations it will not work everywhere, any it's pretty much a coin flip whether it would work acceptably at your location. If you get the SDS200, it's pretty much guaranteed to work anywhere in the system's designed coverage area.

Bob1955

Learn to do it yourself.

Do not get the 996 for simulcast systems. While it may work OK in some specific locations it will not work everywhere, any it's pretty much a coin flip whether it would work acceptably at your location. If you get the SDS200, it's pretty much guaranteed to work anywhere in the system's designed coverage area.
jonwienke, Why do you tell him NOT to get the Bearcat BCD-996P2? Isn't USA a free country? There is a BIG price difference between both base scanners. Let him try the other one first. Geez

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Hey @Bob1955, what P25 simulcast trunked system are you listening to over there in Westchester? Do tell, because you're always claiming that your 996P2 is perfect and has no issues with simulcast, and yet I'm pretty certain that there aren't any P25 trunked simulcasts systems in Westchester aside from the MTA's new system. Stop talking about issues that you don't have any experience with, you're the one giving out ill-informed advice.

Bob1955

Hey @Bob1955, what P25 simulcast trunked system are you listening to over there in Westchester? Do tell, because you're always claiming that your 996P2 is perfect and has no issues with simulcast, and yet I'm pretty certain that there aren't any P25 trunked simulcasts systems in Westchester aside from the MTA's new system. Stop talking about issues that you don't have any experience with, you're the one giving out ill-informed advice.
I’m listening to New Rochelle Police on 155.130/NAC 100 but drdialtone in Central CT owns a BC-325P2 he’s got trunking digital on CSP.
Go pick on him!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I’m listening to New Rochelle Police on 155.130/NAC 100 but drdialtone in Central CT owns a BC-325P2 he’s got trunking digital on CSP.
Go pick on him!
New Rochelle is a conventional simulcast, it's not the same thing as a P25 trunked simulcast. The older model scanners (non-SDS series) often have issues with P25 trunked simulcast (LSM), not the stuff you're listening to. I would suggest that you stop claiming that there aren't issues with simulcast, when you may not fully grasp the differences I just pointed out. Or stop parroting doctordialtone's claims that there are "no cons", which is a bit ridiculous to state. Every piece of hardware as SOME downside, even a $5,000 APX ain't perfect. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.