BCD396XT/BCD996XT: Uniden Bearcat BCD996XT and the front female programming port is damaged on the radio.

yalsa

Premium Subscriber
I have a Uniden Bearcat BCD996XT and the front female programming port is damaged on the radio and no longer works. My option is to find a programming cable for the back port DB9 female to USB cable. Any ideas? or send into repair for replacement of the front programming port?
Thanks!

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
If it were me, (since I solder) I would try to find the usb connector and replace it unless the scanner is still under warranty.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I have a Uniden Bearcat BCD996XT and the front female programming port is damaged on the radio and no longer works. My option is to find a programming cable for the back port DB9 female to USB cable. Any ideas? or send into repair for replacement of the front programming port?
Thanks!
If you're going the rear port route then you will need a null modem adapter or cable since the rear port doubles as a GPS port. All a null modem adapter does is reverse pins 2 & 3 (TX & RX).

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Thanks!

And if you do use the good advice from @ProScan, set the rear ports baud rate setting to the max speed setting if your not going to use a GPS.

tvengr

Well Known Member

kruser

Premium Subscriber
If it were me, (since I solder) I would try to find the usb connector and replace it unless the scanner is still under warranty.
Aren't the front ports on the XT and older T models actually that oddball connector? If so, then they are a serial port and not USB.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
The BCD996XT front port uses a Hirose connector, not USB. The BCD996P2 uses a USB connector. The rear port of the BCD996XT cannot be used for firmware updates. (112) BCD996XT Rear Port | RadioReference.com Forums
I just doubled with you on this info! It is correct though plus I forgot to mention not being able to update firmware.
On one of my 996XT models, I tapped the front connectors PCB traces or solder points somewhere in the front ports wiring and routed a new wire to a new jack I mounted on the rear as I wanted GPS control plus ProScan but didn't want wires sticking out from the front of the radio all the time.
It worked just fine and I don't recall it being a very had modification to make. My original front port also still worked as long as I wasn't using my added duplicate port mounted on the rear of the chassis.

We both must have replied at the same time.
Yes we did!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
i would spend the money and send the scanner back to uniden for repairs just in case there is anything damaged besides that connector, you might be pleasantly surprised when you get it back.

N9JIG

Sheriff
If you have a USB-1 cable you can snip off the Hirose connector (intended for the front panel) and rewire it with a DB-9 for the rear connector.

The Green wire from the USB-1 goes to Pin 2 on the DB-9F, the Red to Pin 3 and the black to Pin 5.

You can also buy pre-made cables such as this StarTech one. I have this and it works great: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008634VJY