BCT15X: Uniden Bearcat BCT15X for off-roading

KOVID19

Hello
I am slowly getting into the off-roading hobby. I had procured a Uniden Bearcat BCT15X from eBay when Covid-19 began to scan for local government, police, fire etc to see what was going on, and eventually settled down to listen to the local repeater and the amateurs who transmitted there. I have not been using it for the last few months though.

I was wondering if I can use this device to listen to CB radio and any other wireless channel when I am off-roading in a national park or forest. Will it work ? Has anyone done this in the past or do I need a dedicated CB radio for this ? I would assume a radio that was used by the police for scanning would be able to do CB radio too.

Please advise. I am new to this and the BCT15X has a steep learning curve. I have been reading the websites and manuals, but if you point me in the right direction I'll get there faster.

Best
VK

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Not seeing why you could not monitor cb radio. Here are all 40 channels. Make sure you enter them as AM.

4 x 4 guys might also use FRS, GMRS and or MURS. You could add those as well.

As far as steep learning curve, this manual (if you have not seen it) might be easier on the eyes. You can also search to find things quicker.

Last edited:

KOVID19

Thank you dave3825 and engine183. Very helpful pointers to start on. I'll try this tonight and see how it works and post my progress here, if I have any questions.

Do any of you have a recommendation on an external antenna that I can install on my vehicle using a magnet or something and then remove it when I go grocery shopping with the same vehicle :) ?

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
If you want to receive CB on your scanner, be sure you use an antenna that covers the CB band. VHF/UHF antennas will perform poorly on CB frequencies.