Uniden BearTracker 885 CB/ Scanner File Modification

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
This allows you to alter the SD cards HPD file to better scan 'other' talkgroups and frequencies.
The 885 only allows DISPATCH talk groups and frequencies. With this mod you will be able to scan any of the others. TACS, Ops, ETC.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!
This works for me perfectly!
You MUST have a basic knowledge of PC Files and File structure before attempting this!
Save a copy of your original SD Card as a back up!
I will not be held responsible for you not doing this properly.

Do an update on the SD Card so that it has the latest frequencies.
From a PC open the SD card.
Open the folder named BCDx36HP
Open the folder named HPDB
In the file structure there is a File named hpdb.cfg using NOTEPAD.
The HPD files have a numeric name. The TXT file tells you which # corresponds to your state. Example, PA = 42
Open the HPD file with NOTEPAD. PA is s_000042.hpd
Any Talkgroups or Frequencies that you want to monitor all have a numeric classification. The 885 ONLY allows ones with the values of 1,2,3 or 4.
If you find "Main St Fire Dispatch" for example it will be followed by the numeric value of 3.
2 Indicates it's a Police Dispatch talkgroup.
3 indicates it's a Fire Dispatch talkgroup or frequency.
4 indicates it's an EMS Dispatch talkgroup.

If you have a Fire TAC that you want to be available when you have the FIRE selection on the display you need to change it's designation to a 3.
It seems like fire Ops and TACs are given an 8. Change that 8 to a 3.
Do this for all of the talkgroups or frequencies that you want available to you keeping in mind that if you want it available under the POLICE Button then it needs to be a 2, FIRE button a 3, EMS button a 4.
SAVE the file with the same file name that it had.
Eject your SD card properly.
Insert it into your 885 and you are all set.

You MUST do this exactly this way for it to work.
IF you do an update on the SD card it will undo all of your changes.

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
Which file needs to be edited in order to add SSB to the 885?

:)

It's the file named LOL.SSB

The 885 with an Astatic power mic and some 'under the hood' work works perfectly for my needs. I was never a big SSB person even WAAAAAY back when I first started into the CB hobby. I do wish it handled simulcast better but I do have an SDS 100 and an SDS 200 to cover me otherwise. The mobile that it's in isn't a daily driver so I deal with the simulcast issue. The file mods make it a nice addition. I have the 885 and a Yaesu FT-90 in that truck and i'm good to go.

Dave

:)