Uniden COVID-19 Delays Repair Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
Hello All!

I thought I would start more a mega thread on this subject since COVID-19 has seemed to caused many Uniden scanner owners delays when sending in Uniden products for repair. Clearly, there is a supply chain disruption. I sent it in my SDS100 for repair on July 2nd. It was received on the 16th. I am still waiting to hear back on the status of the repair. A checked it earlier in the week and a new column appeared showing "Line 1". I wonder if Uniden will just start sending out replacement units and use the returned unit for "parts".

Stay safe!

mule1075

Feed Provider
If they received it the 16th they have only had it 11 working days. Historically the turnaround time has been 21working days give or take a few days. With that being said i sent in a 436hp recently and the turnaround time was 31 days and it was likely due to the ongoing pandemic but i figured on a delay because of it and it is also stated on the website of possible delays.

Hello All!

I thought I would start more a mega thread on this subject since COVID-19 has seemed to caused many Uniden scanner owners delays when sending in Uniden products for repair. Clearly, there is a supply chain disruption. I sent it in my SDS100 for repair on July 2nd. It was received on the 16th. I am still waiting to hear back on the status of the repair. A checked it earlier in the week and a new column appeared showing "Line 1". I wonder if Uniden will just start sending out replacement units and use the returned unit for "parts".

Stay safe!

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I’m just spitballing here, but I believe Uniden’s repair dept have had more than enough time to figure out how to be productive while maintaining social distancing requirements. And I have never heard of them breaking down radios for spare parts... I have heard they might take a radio that would require longer than average time to repair and refurbish it, then sell it at a discount, and send a new replacement unit to whoever sent in the defective radio. I also heard (but can not say positively it is true) they were sending out refurbished SDS100 radios to replace those coming in for repairs/updates. That would mean you would get a different serial # radio back. I doubt this happened however, due to the registration process Uniden has in place. I believe you would only get the radio you sent in for repair back. There can be exceptions to everything but I believe Uniden would first notify of the need to do that, but only when absolutely necessary.

ak716

Premium Subscriber
Complete opposite over here. I signed up for the clock repair campaign back in May, June 30th they gave me the return label and instructions. I finally go around to shipping it back to them around July 17th (my bad...). They received it July 23rd. Shipped it back to me July 30th, and back in my hands on August 1st. Again, it was only for the clock repair issue on the BDC436HP, but still, generally, I think it was really fast hearing about the delays possible.

Also to be noted, I got back the same S/N. Just a little fair warning, before anyone pounds their head off the wall all day like I did trying to figure out why it was no longer decoding DMR..... check and make sure the upgrade key is in there. I sent it in, upgraded, it came back wiped. So, after hours of figuring out my issue, I checked the upgrade keys, which were no longer in there. After the painful task of putting that in there, I'm back up and running with no issues.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
They are doing board swaps for clock repair and put your old serial number on the replacement board and you the end user have to reload the keys. Which is why I always ask for the key when buying a used Uniden Scanner.

ak716

Premium Subscriber
They are doing board swaps for clock repair and put your old serial number on the replacement board and you the end user have to reload the keys. Which is why I always ask for the key when buying a used Uniden Scanner.
Well that would make sense. The screen was plastic covered when I got it, same housing, S/N, but the screen whiteness actually looks dimmer. Possibly related to that? Idk, just shooting from the hip or me being overly critical after not using it for a month or so.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
I’m just spitballing here, but I believe Uniden’s repair dept have had more than enough time to figure out how to be productive while maintaining social distancing requirements.

This assumes that social distancing was the only deleterious factor here.

It is not and other variables include that no one at Uniden has come down with Covid-19, there is sufficient floor space and equipment for every employee to work without undue stoppages to sanitize tools or diagnostic equipment, and that there is a sufficient supply chain from every supplier to allow an unimpeded workflow.

The probability of these primary factors being met currently are miniscule and delays are highly inevitable.

EVANTYSEVEN

Premium Subscriber
I just sent a BCT15X back to them on July 21st, they received it July 28th. I still haven't even gotten an email from them to acknowledge that it arrived which is slightly concerning. Going without a scanner for this long is bad for business.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I do not remember getting a email from Uniden unless it is a payment problem or not repairable.
Same here.

A couple of months back, there was a note, in a different thread, where someone indicated they had contacted Uniden for a status on a repair. They were told, that at that time, the facility was temporarily closed because someone there was found to be Covid possible.

I have no idea what the present status is. But the repair center is in Roanoke, which straddles the Tarrant/Denton County line. Tarrant has recently had a uptick in cases as well as deaths. For Denton County line, there has also been a recent increase. Not as much as Tarrant, but still an upward trend.

Having said that, it still would be better if some sort of status was available.

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
Same here.

A couple of months back, there was a note, in a different thread, where someone indicated they had contacted Uniden for a status on a repair. They were told, that at that time, the facility was temporarily closed because someone there was found to be Covid possible.

I have no idea what the present status is. But the repair center is in Roanoke, which straddles the Tarrant/Denton County line. Tarrant has recently had a uptick in cases as well as deaths. For Denton County line, there has also been a recent increase. Not as much as Tarrant, but still an upward trend.

Having said that, it still would be better if some sort of status was available.

Thanks for the info sir! That sounds pretty serious. I know in general, there has been a huge surge in cases in Texas.

wbswetnam

Thanks for the info sir! That sounds pretty serious. I know in general, there has been a huge surge in cases in Texas.
The virus is running rampant at the moment in Texas, so these slowdowns are not a surprise at all. I think pretty much everything has slowed down except the virus itself.
I sent in a 996P2 for repair back in December, and I got it back within three weeks. But, that was BC (Before COVID).

Status
Not open for further replies.