Uniden dealers in London On?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModelTrainGeek

Premium Subscriber
HI...

I've been search yellow pages and so on.. and just not finding any real scanner dealers in London Ontario.

Are there any? or is my only choice mail order or drive to Toronto?

I' in the research phase of getting a new scanning and would like to see them in action. I want to get a general purpose model, Uniden probably. fire, police, rail, etc. The idea of computer control is kind of interesting too.

I have a old Pro-2021 now (which will be 23 years old in a few days according to the date I wrote in the manual), but that as you know, lacks trunking and is pretty slow scan rate on 8 channels/second (even though I tried the mod to speed it up, there was no change)

meplat

Premium Subscriber
I asked a similar question before Christmas. http://forums.radioreference.com/ea...forum/167616-places-get-scanners-ontario.html

The bottom line was that pickin's are pretty lean. For stores in Ontario, 99% of the business appears to go to either Durham Radio or Radioworld.

Durham Radio - Durham Radio Sales and Service Canada
Radioworld - Radioworld : Amateur & Ham Radio GPS Chartplotters Fishfinders VHF Marine SSB radios Shortwave Radio Scanners CB GMRS Toronto Ontario Canada

With the US dollar being flush, you can look around in the US. Barring sales, the best prices I found were from Scannermaster - Scanner Master - Police Scanners by Uniden Bearcat, AOR and Radio Shack. I ordered from them before Christmas, and despite the holidays, everything arrived within a week.

ModelTrainGeek

Premium Subscriber
HI,
Did you look at Ebay ? I am selling a BCD996XT on eBay - Deals on new and used electronics, clothing, collectables and more on eBay ,the bidding ends about friday.

Thanks Russ
Thanks, but I won't have the money to buy that soon, I'm planning on buying the new scanner when I get my tax refund. While a digital would be nice, I'm thinks the BCT15X would do ok for me in this area. THere's a base model too that's a bit cheaper that looks ok too, can't recall the model just now..

Yes, I have been looking around ebay, but most are in the US and seems to only want to ship UPS or other expensive couriers. I've found out from previous bad experiences, the couriers add about $20+ as a broker fee on top pf and tax and customs charges. I once had a $15 fan ended up costing me over $50 by the time it got to me because the seller sent it UPS instead of US Mail as I asked him and he had agreed to do..

meplat

Premium Subscriber
You can ask the seller if he uses USPS or a courier. It's always best to clarify the shipping method before you bid. Shipping from Canada will be cheaper than from the US unless the shop uses a courier. For scanner sized packages from the US, you will pay extra.

To find out how much they charge for shipping, you can begin the check out with Scannermaster. The online store will tell you the exact amount they charge to ship your order. You also get the choice of shipping via a courier or the United States Post Office.

mciupa

Canadian Database Admin
HI...

I've been search yellow pages and so on.. and just not finding any real scanner dealers in London Ontario.

Weigh the cost of the gas used for a round-trip London to Toronto drive against the shipping charges of mail order.
You'll go home with something if you go get it as opposed to waiting for mail.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
radioworld and durham radio should ship (extra cost) so you dont need to drive to Toronto.
is always nice to see it in person though "in your hands"

ModelTrainGeek

Premium Subscriber
It's too bad the shopping options are so limited. I was in 'the source' store today and was surprised to see a handheld Uniden scanner in there (one of models with a the nascar logos) I've been reading threads about encryption, that most all police are now from what I read. So I'm wondering the wisdom of getting a new scanner if all the good stuff is, or going to be scrambled soon.

my current scanner doesn't do trunking, which leaves out stuff like LFD, of course it's be nice to have something better that isn't constantly being swamped by pagers.. Any thing less then a trunking scanner would be a 'why-bother' when I already have one even if it is old.

I'm not seeing anything in the database about stuff in the area being digital (unless I'm miss reading it) But i have time to think about what and where to buy for now.. It looks like GRE's are a bit cheaper then UNiden, but I don't know the brand..

...and i'm babbling...

se

Hello.

I too live in London, Ontario, in White Oaks...I bought my BCD996XT from Durham Radio Sales and Services and they are the best place in Ontario to buy radio equipment from in my opinion...Ive had my 996xt since October 2009 and love it...Im still abit green behind the gills with it but im learning.

Sheldon.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
It's too bad the shopping options are so limited. I was in 'the source' store today and was surprised to see a handheld Uniden scanner in there (one of models with a the nascar logos) I've been reading threads about encryption, that most all police are now from what I read. So I'm wondering the wisdom of getting a new scanner if all the good stuff is, or going to be scrambled soon.

my current scanner doesn't do trunking, which leaves out stuff like LFD, of course it's be nice to have something better that isn't constantly being swamped by pagers.. Any thing less then a trunking scanner would be a 'why-bother' when I already have one even if it is old.

I'm not seeing anything in the database about stuff in the area being digital (unless I'm miss reading it) But i have time to think about what and where to buy for now.. It looks like GRE's are a bit cheaper then UNiden, but I don't know the brand..

...and i'm babbling...

If you are worried about certain agencies switching to unscannable formats you shouldnt. If you have the $ why not go for it and not worry about what might happen instead enjoy what you hear.

Right now you can monitor most of the OPP, all the MTO, some MNR and all of the EMS in your area. I think that London FS is in the clear and you can always listen to air comms, rail comms hams, etc.

I have had good experiences buying stuff from the states (Glen Cohen's store, I dont think he is business anymore) and scannermaster. I have also bought stuff from Canadian stores, I like RadioWorld but they are expensive. Durham Radio is IMO arrogant and they rip you with shipping but they have good stuff.

You might want to check Craigslist and even here on this site, someone might have a scanner they are willing to sell.

Good luck to you if you decide to upgrade; I only use Uniden stuff these days, I couldnt then recommend a GRE or RS scanner but I have read (never heard) that they have superior audio than Uniden.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
the source may carry some GRE's as well.
They are great scanners just different (not a bad different).

OPP is the main reason to go digital. If you think you want to save money I stead you can look I to an analog.

nova1010

HI...

I' in the research phase of getting a new scanning and would like to see them in action. I want to get a general purpose model, Uniden probably. fire, police, rail, etc. The idea of computer control is kind of interesting too.

I have a old Pro-2021 now (which will be 23 years old in a few days according to the date I wrote in the manual), but that as you know, lacks trunking and is pretty slow scan rate on 8 channels/second (even though I tried the mod to speed it up, there was no change)

Buy one off torontokris I'm sure he has more than a few kicking around,new condition and you'll save a bundel.He's delt with alot of people on here and won't do you wrong.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
All the new radio equipment for London fire is analog, so any older EDACS capable trunk tracker should be able to scan them for hopefully many years to come. The city is quite happy with the EDACS system and won't be leaving it any time soon.

chrislang

I bought mine.

I bought the uniden bearcat at Gilbert communications In Brantford Ont. on Colborn st not to far from the river, small store front, they sell scanners and cb equiptment and some ham stuff as well...

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I bought the uniden bearcat at Gilbert communications In Brantford Ont. on Colborn st not to far from the river, small store front, they sell scanners and cb equiptment and some ham stuff as well...

What make and may I ask how much?

ModelTrainGeek

Premium Subscriber
Hello.

I too live in London, Ontario, in White Oaks...I bought my BCD996XT from Durham Radio Sales and Services and they are the best place in Ontario to buy radio equipment from in my opinion...Ive had my 996xt since October 2009 and love it...Im still abit green behind the gills with it but im learning.

Sheldon.

Thanks.. I'm bookmarking all these mail order places then will do a big sort out when the time comes. I defiantly want trunking , just have to decided about the extra cost of digital...

btw I'm not too far from you then. Commissioners and Adelaide area. I was just in the White Oaks mall yesterday.. going to check the surplus store on the east when i get over there..

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Could always call around to a few of the pawn shops too... who knows that they might have sitting on a shelf.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager

Gilbert's was on Colborne Street West about 25 years ago. There used to be a grocery store across the street called Calbeck's but it's been a long time since I've been down that way. There was a tire place right beside it.

There was another guy by the name of Don over in Eagle Place that sold scanners out of the back of his house. I bought a Bearcat 220RC from him after selling my 210XL to somebody from Gilbert's. Unfortunately I can't remember his last name but I doubt he's still around.

Bullmax

I live In London as well and just bought a 396xt off torontokris. It was $610 shipping included and had the scanner in 2 days. Was a great transaction and love the scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.