Uniden decode D-Star ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kb0nly

Doubt it, Icom has pretty much blocked anyone else from acquiring the D-Star technology, as they like to call it in their flyers.

If they would license it to the other manufacturers, Yaesu, Kenwood, Alinco, i think it would take off. As it is now i wouldn't worry about it, its a dying breed. Plenty of websites talking about it dying off and Icom has said sales were too slow.

Now if i could add it to my Yaesu's, or get a newer Yaesu with D-Star, i might be interested. Right now its too expensive to get into when nobody else around you has a radio capable of it.

kellykeeton

kenwood has it just not in America yet
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-STAR

I disagree that its a dying breed its actually the future. and so far its the best digital mode that any manufacture has developed in mainstream, however I agree about the d* going nowhere if Icom wont open up on the license fee's which will force a open source to get picked up by ico-enwo-asu

there is actually quite a few users in the northwest (obviously as icom is here) I have about 6 large repeaters around me.

but as for uniden, IMO they arnt really big in the business of amature radio monitoring, more "the rest of the air" typically if you were big on D* you would own a icom as with d* listening is only part of the fun. but all it would take is for uniden to buy a license and program into the CPU (likely not capable in today's scanners) but in the end there isnt a big need for it so uniden likely wouldn't do that

d* is way cool, if you have never seen it work check out youtube. I look fwd to the day that all the manufactures have digital mode voice that will inter-op.

K7MHI

ButchGone

D-Star

Actually, D-Star is an OPEN digital protocal developed by the Japanese gov't and amateur radio societies. Just like P25 is an open protocal, any manufacturer can apply this to a radio if they so choose. So far Icom is the only one running with D-Star in the amatuer world, but they certainly do NOT own exclusive rights to it. There's been rumors Yeasu and Kenwood would release a D-Star radio but so far they have been slow. And there's no reason why Uniden can't use it to receive digital amateur...they just don't want to spend the money on it yet since it's still a relatively new thing in the amateur world. Keep in mind too many hams are very reluctant to try new formats, they can't get past morse code and analog. You may be surprised to learn how many hams who use the VHF-UHF bands have old clunker radios that don't offer squelch tones! But digital is here to stay, and it might infuse new blood into a hobby that's attracting fewer and fewer young people.
BG..

nexus

Doubt it, Icom has pretty much blocked anyone else from acquiring the D-Star technology, as they like to call it in their flyers.

If they would license it to the other manufacturers, Yaesu, Kenwood, Alinco, i think it would take off. As it is now i wouldn't worry about it, its a dying breed. Plenty of websites talking about it dying off and Icom has said sales were too slow.

Now if i could add it to my Yaesu's, or get a newer Yaesu with D-Star, i might be interested. Right now its too expensive to get into when nobody else around you has a radio capable of it.

This is not entirely true. ICOM is not the group who has restricted it. The digital group (DVSI) "digital voice systems inc." who created the AMBE vocoder are the people who have proprietary ownership. See (link) Everything else about DSTAR is open source, and all of the radio manufactures are more than welcome to impliment it if they wish. ICOM just happens to be the only one who is interested in doing that right now. Kenwood doesn't seem to be very interested in advancing in the amateur radio market at this time with the exception that they've taken an ICOM DSTAR radio and relabled it as their own. I have no idea what Yaesu's hangup is. If Alinco was smart they'd jump right on this because it would give them a competing edge over the other companies.

I asked UPMAN this same question a year ago about adding DSTAR to the digital scanners and he said that Uniden was not interested in persuing that capability because of how little interest there is for it. And it makes sense. There really isn't enough activity in the US to warrant paying for the use of the vocoder technology. But don't blame ICOM. ICOM has no control over that. They just happen to be the ones who paid to use it in their radios. No one else wants to play it would seem.

BTW, I have 2 dstar radios, and 2 wide-coverage gateway-ed repeaters near me. And there is a lot of dstar activity. It's kinda cool to be able to listen to them and talk. My club has a special relationship with ICOM America, and their US marketing director talks to several of our club members all the time on our DSTAR repeater. He's in OHIO and we're in Mississippi. The gateway stuff rocks. Maybe one day UNIDEN or other scanners will include dstar, but for now its too new.

Last edited:

Viper43

Obviously your reading the wrong info, ICOM doesn't own DSTAR, it is OPEN SOURCE. Kenwood is starting to build DSTAR capable radios and word is others will as well since the ARRL supports it as one of the digital protocols for amature radio along with P25. And if you pay attention to sales radios with DSTAR are selling, just not in large numbers..... like everything else right now all sales are down.

V

K

kb0nly

Ok, i stand corrected on the ownership of it. Good to hear, that may allow others to get on the wagon later but i don't see it happening now.

I'm sure in big city areas this can take off, but where i am, out in the boonies, even the law enforcement systems using digital have coverage problems. I don't see any clubs around here having the money to buy one repeater, let alone more than one to network together.

I agree that digital is probably the future for ham radio, but until it compete in coverage and price its not going to be very popular. I know a total of two hams that have d-star capable radios, that's it. One lives in the same town as me, he got it when he decided to buy a new radio, the other lives about 25 miles from me.

I have seen D-Star in action in person, nothing too exciting as you guys think. Sounds like P25 to me, especially when his radio goes "watery" and i can still talk that distance on analog clear as a bell. I don't like the audio quality on D-Star, i don't know, call me old fashioned but the digital just has a different sound to it.

I know the guys with the old radios of which you speak. We have one with a crystal controlled 2m rig that protests putting PL on the local repeater because it would lock him out, to quote him "i don't have sidetone and i won't buy a new radio", yeah sidetone.. Umm its PL, CTCSS, or even subaudible, but it's not sidetone.

wesct

Obviously your reading the wrong info, ICOM doesn't own DSTAR, it is OPEN SOURCE. Kenwood is starting to build DSTAR capable radios and word is others will as well since the ARRL supports it as one of the digital protocols for amature radio along with P25. And if you pay attention to sales radios with DSTAR are selling, just not in large numbers..... like everything else right now all sales are down.

V

The word about Kenwood building D-STAR radios is that they are re-branded
ICOM radios and only available in Japan.

I didnt know the league supported anything. W1AW has a D-STAR repeater
on 1.2 ghz and it probably has no use on it at all. They also are trying to put
up D-STAR repeaters on 2m and 440, but have had no luck getting a club to
put them on the air. As far as sales of the D-STAR equipment, it has dropped
off quite a bit since ICOM raised their prices in June of this year.

wesct

ButchGone

more D-Star

Although Alabama is often heard being ranked at the bottom of lists, they are actually in the forefront of D-Star activity. Heart of Dixie amateurs have built a very nice state-wide digital repeater network that's linked to the world. Plenty on the web about this, here's one link: http://www.arrl-al.org/Alabama_link.htm
The number of D-Star repeaters is growing in other states. Here in Chattanooga there are two new D-Star machines that give good coverage in southeast TN and northwest Georgia.
BG..

Viper43

Hamilton Co. In. has a large group of DSTAR users with repeaters set up and they use it daily. As for the "league", it helps to read up on what the ARRL is up to and their decisions about digital, I don't have the link on this computer but I am sure you can do a search and find out what they are up to on the digital end of things.

V

The word about Kenwood building D-STAR radios is that they are re-branded
ICOM radios and only available in Japan.

I didnt know the league supported anything. W1AW has a D-STAR repeater
on 1.2 ghz and it probably has no use on it at all. They also are trying to put
up D-STAR repeaters on 2m and 440, but have had no luck getting a club to
put them on the air. As far as sales of the D-STAR equipment, it has dropped
off quite a bit since ICOM raised their prices in June of this year.

wesct

Tom_G

Here in Connecticut we have 8 D-Star repeaters up and running.
Some of them are Gateway connected which is very cool.
Driving back and forth to work its very common to be talking to folks in California, England, Texas, etc.. via the gateway.
A real nice thing about D-Star is that when mobile, everybody is full quieting. There is no static.
Since D-Star supports digital voice and data, your call sign and name gets transmitted every time you key up, and the receiving radio will see it displayed on his/her radio. :)

If you look at www.dstarusers.org you will see the call signs of the users on the gateway connected repeaters. There is also a repeater listing by state which has been growing steadily.
Icom probably did hurt themselves by increasing prices, but with the economy being somewhat shaky right now, ALL sales are down.
Time will tell where it goes, but it IS a lot of fun.
And if Uniden or GRE added Dstar receive capability to a scanner, that would be very cool.

Last edited:
K

kb0nly

Price is the biggest stumbling block for me, i'm usually the guy who buys the latest and greatest technology just to play with it, and then sometimes get bored and sell it but nonetheless..

However, when you look at the D-Star equipment prices...

IC-2200H $149.95
UT-118 $199.95 D-Star addon costs more than the radio!!

IC-2820H $609.95 For a dualband radio?? OUCH!!
UT-123 $289.95 Almost $900 total for a dual band with D-Star?? Holy Crap!!

ID-800H $569.95 D-Star included, dual band mobile. Ok, at least it has D-Star because i wouldnt pay that much for a dual band unless i'm getting something more.

IC-91A $319.95
UT-121 $199.95 Over $500 for a dual band HT that will do D-Star. You can actually buy this now with the UT-121 preinstalled as the IC-91AD for $419.95, you save $99.95 over buying the radio now and the addon board later if you did it that way.

IC-92AD $569.95 I have to admit its a cool looking HT, if not three times the cost of my FT-60R i would buy one to play with, but my 60R does all i need around here, no D-Star anyway.

V82 $129.95
UT-118 $199.95 An ok looking VHF radio, but got some so-so reviews. And its a 2m only radio, for $60 more i can have a dual band Yaesu with more features, minus the D-Star capability of course which costs nearly $200 more anyway.

U82 $129.95
UT-118 $199.95 Just the single band UHF version of the V82.

Did i miss any, or is that all of the currently available D-Star capable radios? These prices are current as of today, 12/5, on the Universal Radio website. I didn't price compare with other vendors, just went to the first one in my favorites, so they might be more or less elsewhere.

I noticed what wesct said about the price hike, even the non-dstar radios have come up a bit. Icom is definitely the spendy manufacturer of the group now. I have always been partial to Yaesu, but i do like the look of the new IC-91 and IC-92, i just won't be able to afford one anytime soon. I would have to sell 2-3 radios to buy one Icom HT now.

I think they shot themselves in the foot here. They want to push D-Star, yet they raised their prices to the point that nobody can afford to buy one to play with!

trace1

Yep, we're not all a bunch of backwards red-neck hillbillies way down here... ;)

Although Alabama is often heard being ranked at the bottom of lists, they are actually in the forefront of D-Star activity. Heart of Dixie amateurs have built a very nice state-wide digital repeater network that's linked to the world. Plenty on the web about this, here's one link: http://www.arrl-al.org/Alabama_link.htm
The number of D-Star repeaters is growing in other states. Here in Chattanooga there are two new D-Star machines that give good coverage in southeast TN and northwest Georgia.
BG..

Yes we have 2 D-STAR systems here in Calhoun County, one is the Calhoun County ARES/RACES Group Repeater Call Sign: KI4SUF 145.200 - C and 443.350 + B, while the other belongs to the Calhoun County Amateur Radio Association Repeater Call Sign: WB4GNA 145.300 - C, 442.425 + B, 1285.000 -12MHz A (coming soon) and Data frequency: 1251.00 A.

But NO, I doubt UNIDEN or other scanner makers will ever have D-STAR decode capabilities.

Alabama Emergency Management Offices To Receive New D-STAR Amateur Radio Communications Equipment!

Status
Not open for further replies.