Uniden Driver for Freescan

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithBogut

Premium Subscriber
I'm having the same problem reported by others, Freescan can't find my scanner on Com1. I downloaded the uniden usbser.zip from BCD325P2 < UnidenMan4 < TWiki, only to find that WinZip wants $30 to sell me the software to unzip it.

Is there a workaround on this?

KeithBogut

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Bryan, I downloaded 7zip and managed to extract the files, but now they just sit there and Freescan still can't find the port. Do I have to move the driver file somewhere so that windows 7 can use it?? wHAT A PAIN IN THE @$$.

marksmith

Thanks Bryan, I downloaded 7zip and managed to extract the files, but now they just sit there and Freescan still can't find the port. Do I have to move the driver file somewhere so that windows 7 can use it?? wHAT A PAIN IN THE @$$.
It might not be on com1. Let freescan find it. Click on send to scanner, then click on the button that shows a Com port and baud rate.

When a new window appears, click on the test button. It will find your scanner and the right Com port as long as you have the scanner and cable in place.

Mark
536/436/HP1/HP2/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800

KeithBogut

Premium Subscriber
It might not be on com1. Let freescan find it. Click on send to scanner, then click on the button that shows a Com port and baud rate.

When a new window appears, click on the test button. It will find your scanner and the right Com port as long as you have the scanner and cable in place.

Mark
536/436/HP1/HP2/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800

After clicking on the button with the Com port and baud rate, I get an error message saying "FreeScan was unable to detect any available COM ports."

I'm not sure how to proceed. Thanks for trying to help.

phask

Premium Subscriber
You need to install the driver.
From the same page where you downloaded the driver.

If you are having problems installing the drivers, see the following general instructions (some steps might differ slightly, depending on your specific operating system).

1. Download and unzip the above driver.
  2. Plug in the scanner using a USB cable.
  3. Right click on the Windows Launch icon (bottom left corner) and select "Device Manager."
  4. The device shows up with a yellow triangle.
  5. Right click on device and select "Update Driver Software."
  6. Select "Browse My Computer for Driver Software."
  7. Navigate to the folder where you have unzipped the above driver.
The driver installed and is assigned as: Uniden Serial Port (COMx)

W5JCK

Microsoft 10 update messed up drivers again

MicroSUX screwed up drivers again. Setup Win 10 not to update, but it still manages to update whenever they want it to. After the last BS Win 10 update, drivers failed for BCD325P2. A recurring effing nightmare. Uninstalled the BS MicroSUX driver, re-installed uniden_usbser.inf, but Freescan still won't see the BCD325P2 scanner. Even after restart it still won't see the scanner. Double checked with Device Manager and it shows the Uniden driver installed, but it still won't work. Either Uniden needs to update the driver (still shows 2014) or they need to provide a reliable way to program this damn scanner. MicroSUX will always suck, but Uniden is responsible for getting their scanners to work with it. Or better still, give us Mac users programming software, because guess what, we never have usb driver issues!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Seems to be a unique issue for your computer. I have multiple PCs running W10, all up-to-date, and all working fine. If W10 had broken the driver, the board would be flooded with people with the same problem.

What com port does device manager report as being used when the scanner is plugged in?

W5JCK

Seems to be a unique issue for your computer. I have multiple PCs running W10, all up-to-date, and all working fine. If W10 had broken the driver, the board would be flooded with people with the same problem.

What com port does device manager report as being used when the scanner is plugged in?

After quite a bit of trial and error, mostly error, I found the problem was not the Uniden Driver uniden_usbser.inf. At least it does not appear to be. I had alkaline non-chargeable batteries installed in the scanner. With those installed the Freescan app was never able to recognize the scanner, although it did recognize the USB cable was plugged into COM4 and set to 115000 baud. Occasionally it would briefly see the scanner, but immediately fail upon download/upload. After I replaced the alkaline non-chargeable batteries with rechargeable batteries it worked fine.

Since the USB cable is used to charge the batteries, provide power to scanner, and to provide PC connection, I wonder if there is an issue in the FW code that causes this error when using alkaline batteries? I normally leave the batteries out and run the scanner with the USB cable acting as a power cable. I didn't try to connect to the PC with them out because I seem to recall some issues in the past doing so. BTW, the reason I leave the batteries out is because the scanner is used in my shack and leaving rechargeable batteries in and keeping it plugged into the USB as a power cable pretty much wears out the batteries in a rather short time. I prefer to keep them out and only put them in if I need to take the scanner portable.

Status
Not open for further replies.