SDS100/SDS200: Uniden external battery charger

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I purchased the external charger and it came with a battery. At the time I got mine I believe Uniden was offering for sale the charger alone, the battery alone, or combined, as shown in the picture. (It allows for someone like me to buy a second charger without the battery. If memory serves, I purchased the charger with battery and then a second charger without the battery. I run one in my truck and the other at home. I now have the original smaller battery, which I never use because I’d have to carry both battery covers, and two of the larger batteries. So, I stick with the larger batteries when carrying a spare. I believe the answer to your question is yes, what you see is what you get for that price, both the charger and battery.

Aviation_Scanner

WSEY205
Premium Subscriber
While on the topic of chargers & batteries, how do I know if I got the big or small battery pack?
Do all later SDS100 come with the big battery pack?

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
The original battery was too small, didn’t last as long as they hoped so they replaced it free of charge. You could keep the smaller original battery. Since the replacement battery was larger, they also included a battery cover, all free of charge. Once they started that replacement program they only offered the SDS100 new with the larger battery, and later, offered the external charger with a spare battery for the cost you now see advertised. Uniden’s spokesman at the time recommended batteries be recharged outside of the radio, even though Uniden still allowed for recharging while installed in the radio. While I haven’t heard of any horror stories when charging is done with the battery installed in the scanner, (I do it myself), I don’t believe it rises to the level of seriousness where damage to the radio would be a common occurrence, it’s still a good idea to remove the battery before recharging. Let me define “horror stories”… when the battery fails while charging in the radio and damages the scanner. I am not including any damage a swelled battery may incur to the cover in this definition.