Uniden Fire Tone Out Search Vs. Standby

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I am still experimenting with the Uniden Fire Tone Out function and a call a few minutes ago sort of puzzled me. The scenario is FFD # 2 gets a medical and they get toned out. Sounds pretty straight forward right. What is interesting is that this is the discrepancy between the tow Unidens:

-BCD396XT In Tone Search Logs: A : 726.7Hz / B : 727.3Hz TONE-OUT 3:51:10 AM 1/23/2012

-BCD996XT In Tone Standby decodes A : 726.8Hz / B : 1513.5Hz

Now, I understand with analog tones that they vary a little bit, perhaps as much as 5 Hz, and that part doesn't concern me. What I am trying to figure out is why the BCD396XT displayed on one pair of tones, since it was in the Tone-Out Search mode with the delay at zero seconds. The BCD996XT, on the other hand, had A : 726.8Hz / B : 1513.5Hz programmed in (A : 726.8Hz / B : 726.8Hz was NOT programmed in.) Now if the communications center sent out BOTH sets of tones, shouldn't the BCD396XT have logged both sets since the delay was set at zero? Or, is the Uniden not fast enough to decode both sets, even with the delay at zero? Also, the BCD396XT is running under Butel ARC-XT-PRO. I am assuming that the BCD996XT performed properly, since it alerted. Is it common for communications centers to send out two sets of tones even though they are alerting just one station? I was sort of even thinking that maybe one of the pairs is an ALL CALL (Probably Long Tone B: A : 726.7Hz / B : 727.3Hz) and the other is the specific station, but if the did the ALL CALL, they wouldn't need to alert a specific station.

Last edited:

JASII

Memory Capacity
I think may have found some additional information a little bit ago. A different fire department near me was toned out. I still had the BCD396XT in Tone-Out Search running under Butel ARC-XT Pro. The communications center definitely sent out two different sets of Quik Call II tones. The History Log only logged one set of tones. Again, the delay was still set at zero. I think it is important to know this when trying to determine who uses what tones. The station # 2 for this department displayed tones close to:

810.2Hz / 539.0Hz EFD Station 2

However, I assume that this was the first set of tones and the second set were not logged. The question in my mind is the first set specifically for that EFD # 2 or is the second set, the ones that were NOT logged, the specific station tones. Also, what is the second, unlogged pair of tones for? Possibly they notify a second nearby station for information purposes. Anyway, I am still curious is others have noticed this issue. I assume it is the problem with the Uniden, but I suppose it is also possible that it is the problem with the Butel software. I should note both the Uniden and Butel program have the most current software. This does explain why I had conflicting information when I have done this exercise in the past. I think that this might end up being sort of like test taking in school where there is a matching exercise!

captclint

Mentor
Yes, in my area, only the 1st set of tones are shown and recorded. I don't think there is a mechanism that signals the end of the 1st so that it can go on to resolve the 2nd.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I had this happen again yesterday. The communications center toned out two distinctly different sets of tones. I listened to them on a Yaesu FT-8800. I checked the History Log and only one set were logged. Does anybody happen to know if the Unidens behave the same way when in Tone Out Standby with delay at zero?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
FTO opens on the first tone it hears and records the first set or long tone even with the delay at zero. As for the frequency variation, it could distortion in the tone or a false reading.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I have logged a number of Quik Call II pairs and I think they belong to the fire department south of me. They have four stations. Is it pretty likely that the A : 368.5Hz / B : 368.5Hz pair is ALL CALL?

A : 368.5Hz / B : 368.5Hz

A : 368.5Hz / B :1513.5Hz

A : 389.0Hz / B :1513.5Hz

A : 410.8Hz / B :1513.5Hz

A : 433.7Hz / B :1513.5Hz

Also, I am just starting to create some unattended audio recordings under Butel ARC-XT Pro. What delay time would people here recommend for recording purposes?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Yes, I would say that "A" is an all call. As for a delay, that depends on how much of the station call you want.

tr17485

Premium Subscriber
Just had my first success with fire tone out so I thought I would post my information. In attempting to find out about fire tone out I found the internet to be of little help. Maybe my post will help someone else:

LEWES Delaware Station 82

Frequency for dispatch 453.7000

Tones Fire ( I assume ) A : 1357.6 3 seconds

B : 483.5 5 seconds

Ambulance ( I assume ) A and B tone 410.8 8 seconds

I got these by asking the local dispatch center : No success yet with searching for tones: I hope somebody reads this and gives me a clue how to do that.....

captclint

Mentor
How do you get to "fire tone out search" ? I am using a uniden bcd396xt with butel software
FTO Easier to Read BCD396XT Digital Scanner Manual

Using Software is a little easier. Go to "Scanner, configuration Control'. If you have never used this feature, I would read from the scanner(green button), and then save it. Now you can click on the FTO tab. You can enter 10 frequencies, but most people have only one. So enter the freq of your fire co page in line 1, and make sure A & B tones are zero. Now send that to the scanner(pink button). Now, when you run the virtual control, you can go to the "jump to" and scroll down til you get to FTO. If the 1st freq does not come up, use the up/down buttons until you get to the frequency you entered. Now, you just sit there and ARCXT will log the 1st set of tones.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.