Uniden firmware update - good grief!

Status
Not open for further replies.

oceans777

Listener
This is most annoying, how-many-hoops-can-we-jump-you-through process to update the 396T and 996T I've ever seen. We are forced to register - but wait - you can't without updating the updates to the updates, and then still have to go back waste more time providing ridiculous ESN's, checksums, to get our Secret Firmware Key. And then update again.

What a ridiculous process - is this the genius of Unidens marketing department?

Whats next - blood tests and a secret scanner firmware oath? So for the negativity but it's a pointlessly convoluted and time-consuming fiasco to update. If this is the future of updates I'll be looking harder at other scanners.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
At least they are providing the path to upgrades. There could be none at all, as it once was. When the upgrades were made available it was in the form of a new scanner. I think both Uniden and GRE have made superlative efforts to provide updates to their scanners, free of charge, and I don't find the process to do so difficult in the least.

SCOTTER

Yes its a joke they need to take a page from Sonys PS3 game system. You turn it on it tells you a update is needed you press x it downloads it then you press x to upload it done. Uniden can let you know via email update is needed and then download it to your PC then upload to your scanner.Wow thats hard. I would like to thank the 5th grade for all the help in this matter.

oceans777

Listener
Updates

Yeah the only way to make it worse is to charge us for firmware updates. Considering the cost of the units I don't think a free firmware upgrade is unexpected and although I do appreciate that they provide them, the process needs to be much better.
Even if Uniden is going use firmware as bait to collect our info for marketing, there are much easier ways to provide customers the updates.

kb8rvp

Firmware update

I didn't have a single problem updating my 996 scanner and it works great too. I did help a friend over the phone with his and he completed it his updates fine. Enjoy the hobby.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.