Uniden Firmware Updater BC_VUP v3 Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
I have a few minor issues with Uniden Firmware upgrader version 3 that is used to upgrade the XT line, and will be the required firmware upgrade utility for all scanners going forward (from what I have been reading)..

My major complaint about this software is the requirement that it must pull the firmware off the internet every time you want to do an upgrade. This is an issue for me because I upgrade radios "in the field" and do not have access to WiFi or "LAN" while roaming around. The old version 2 of BC_VUP allowed me to save the firmware locally on my computer before running the updates. Now with version 3, I need to turn on the WiFi hotspot on my cell phone before running these updates. It is an extra step, and not always something that I can do while roaming around. There has also been a single occasion where the Uniden website has been down and I have been unable to pull the updates required. Murphy was sitting next to me that day because it was the only time I noticed that the firmware could not be pulled. It would be nice to have an option in the software where you could chose "local copy" or "upgrade/download from internet" so that if there is no access to the 'net the firmware upgrades can still be done.

My second problem is that I have been unsuccessful at doing any radio upgrades via my Windows 7 64bit desktop. I don't have any problems communicating to the radios with BuTel or ProScan, so it isn't a communications issue over the serial lines. I have "hard" serial ports on my pc because I play a lot of radio. My XT radios will enter firmware upgrade mode, the radio's display will blank out with the backlight on, but the firmware upgrade process will fail part of the way through. I have admin rights on my computer, run the application as administrator, and have even set it to run as Windows XP. No Luck. I have had issues with my BCT15x, BCD996XT, BC346XT, and a BCD396XT. I have not tried anything that upgrades from BC-VUP v2 yet because all of those scanners are up to date on firmware. I could try and upload to the same FW version in one of my other radios if it would help with troubleshooting (I have lots of toys). The solution I have to upgrade any radio using v3 so far has been to do all my Firmware upgrades on my Windows XP netbook. This works well when I am at home, and it is the same computer I use when I complain about my first item on the list ;)

Thanks & 73
Phil / w2lie

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
I tested out Version 2 of the upgrade utility tonight. I was able to upgrade a BCT8 from F/W 1.20 to 1.60 from my Windows 7 machine without having to upgrade to admin rights.

It seems that my Windows 7 64Bit desktop does not like BC-VUP v3.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I tested out Version 2 of the upgrade utility tonight. I was able to upgrade a BCT8 from F/W 1.20 to 1.60 from my Windows 7 machine without having to upgrade to admin rights.

It seems that my Windows 7 64Bit desktop does not like BC-VUP v3.

I've done several FW upgrades using Uniden's latest v3 updater from my Win7 64bit machine with hardly an issue. Any issues were always something that was my own stupidity.
I've used both, true serial ports as well as USB to Serial adapters with FTDI chipsets only.
The only time I did have an issue was when it was transferring the firmware data over one of the usb to serial adapters, I stupidly plugged in another USB device and that killed the transfer. No problems starting over again though and was able to load the firmware the 2nd try.
I made that same mistake with a PSR-800 a few times but while updating its database on the SD card.
I use true serial ports for almost all my radios via several multi port cards.
The PSR800 and HP1 are the exceptions as they are USB only and I've learned that you don't connect or disconnect any USB devices while transferring firmware or database uploads to those radios! The HP1 seems to tolerate it a bit better than the PSR800 does.

I agree about the need to be connected to the internet to use the latest Uniden updater. I also hope that is corrected in a future revision and allows one to open a local stored copy of the firmware. I've also been in situations where I did not have any way of getting on the internet, even via cell phone, so I could not do the upgrade until I brought the scanner home from the farm. I've also read where many users with only satellite internet connections have issues with the latest updater. I assume that is due to the high latency of most satellite services.
I think all the latest FW versions can now be downloaded and stored locally thanks to Paul posting them on each models FW page. So you can at least use the older v2 updater and do FW up or downgrades in the field if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.