Uniden Firmware Upgrade Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxradio2003

Hi,

Just thought I'd let folks know about a problem and solution I had to a F/W ugrade. I have a BCD396XT and tried to update the firmware. I downloaded the BCVUP 2..0.0.7 software as instructed on the Uniden site.

I could not get the radio to accept the firmware upgrade until I reverted back to the older version of the downloader software. I used BC VUP 2.0.0.3 and then retried everything again. The radio now accepted the new firmware update without a problem.

I remember previously having the same issue with my BCD396T scanner and fixed the issue the same way.

---DXradio2003:lol::lol:

randybcd396t

I'm not sure why most people have no problem but a few of us do.

I had trouble with my BCD396T, and had the same issue when I upgraded to the BCD396XT. My PC is a newish Vista PC. Probably some hardware/driver incompatibility with the latest version of BC_VUP.

BTW: the only reason I tried the older version was by recommendation of UPMan. As usual his recommendation was correct.

n3tzd

Premium Subscriber
Similar problem but...

the radio would not accept the upgrade and now the screen flashes blue to red and won't do anything..
I used BC_VUP_2.0.0.7.
My original firmware was 1.07.00 and tried to update to 1.08.14.
I tried to do a factory reset but could not.
I am using Windows 7.
The radio worked fine using Proscan until now.

UPMan

Uniden Representative
Premium Subscriber
Restart the update from Step 1. There is nothing you can do to permanently brick the scanner during an update (but if you stop in the middle or have some other issue during the update, you will be dead in the water until you fully apply the update).

UPMan

Uniden Representative
Premium Subscriber
Based on the firmware info he provided (and the overall topic of this thread), I'm assuming n3ftz has a BCD396XT, not a BCD996XT.

n3tzd

Premium Subscriber
Strange

I dug out my laptop running Vista and had no problem installing the update.

kf6rai

Premium Subscriber
How do I find the current firmware version on my bcd396xt. Running vista, have the usb adaptor, downloaded the 2 update files, (rev 1.08.04 )started the "BC_vup program, got a long error message about "com port" and setup of the scanner. Did not find any information on how to do this. ??

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
MENU - SETTINGS - SEE SCANNER INFO - FIRMWARE VERSION

basically the last/bottom option available in every menu

more info on the update and steps to do the update are at
BCD396XTFirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

How do I find the current firmware version on my bcd396xt. Running vista, have the usb adaptor, downloaded the 2 update files, (rev 1.08.04 )started the "BC_vup program, got a long error message about "com port" and setup of the scanner. Did not find any information on how to do this. ??

W2PMX

Running vista, have the usb adaptor, downloaded the 2 update files, (rev 1.08.04 )started the "BC_vup program, got a long error message about "com port"
You have to go into Device Manager and see what com port the adapter installed as. Each USB port will install it as a different com port. (So if you plug it in somewhere else next time you'll have to look again.)

Status
Not open for further replies.