Uniden GPS problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cacherjoe

I have a uniden serial gps that has been connected to my HP-1 since I bought in about 3 years ago and fixed to the same location on the outside of my vehicle the whole time. My truck sat idle for a few months this winter and I'm now getting it going again. I can't seem to get the GPS to power up. I know these things are pretty simple so I'm thinking it is toast somehow, but wanted to reach out to see if anyone had issues with them like this in the past.

The red light is lighting on the 12V plug, but the light isn't coming on, on the gps itself.

Any thoughts?

cacherjoe

There isn't any fuse. The connections are out of the weather. I reseated the connections to be sure there wasn't anything stuck in there.

XTS3000

Bring the GPS unit inside and let it dry out. If you live where its cold, the outside relative humidity all winter has been extremely high.

I just fired up a GPS from a car sitting all winter and it doesn't work either. Won't lock the satellites. This happened last year on the same old GPS and all I did was let it sit for a few days inside a house. Worked like a champ till today...

phask

Premium Subscriber
I have a uniden serial gps that has been connected to my HP-1 since I bought in about 3 years ago and fixed to the same location on the outside of my vehicle the whole time. My truck sat idle for a few months this winter and I'm now getting it going again. I can't seem to get the GPS to power up. I know these things are pretty simple so I'm thinking it is toast somehow, but wanted to reach out to see if anyone had issues with them like this in the past.

The red light is lighting on the 12V plug, but the light isn't coming on, on the gps itself.

Any thoughts?

There is a fuse in the cig. lighter plug,but if the light on the plug lights it should be good.

Mine does not have a light on the GPS itself, if it does it's never worked and it's mounted on the top of the dash.

cacherjoe

You are right, there would be but the light on the cig plug lights up so the fuse is good.

I'm going to try to bring it in and dry it out. The weather here has been crazy so humidity could very well be an issue.

JamesO

connected my Garmin 60CSx for now. Fired up like a charm. I'm really hoping that the puck starts to work though.

The puck may be a victim of the ultra cold Winter temps?

Circuit boards expand and contract with temperature and internal solder joints on the surface mount components may have cracked??

Search around on ebay for a Garmin 18X USB GPS, pretty much the same puck and you can find them usually around USD $30 if you search around.

phask

Premium Subscriber
connected my Garmin 60CSx for now. Fired up like a charm. I'm really hoping that the puck starts to work though.

Ran one of those for YEARS. Had it mounted on a Ram suction mount in SUV's cargo are a window.

If you get the puck working or get a new one, try keeping it inside. Mine locks on nearly anywhere I put it, but I double sided tape mounted to the dash. Have the wires through a gap in the dash cover, a couple cigarette lighter sockets are mounted under the dash with a switch, fuse and a LED lite. If I need to get to them, the glove box will drop out easily and they are right behind it.

cacherjoe

Thanks guys. This year there weren't any real cold temps this year. Maybe only a few days of -20C. The good thing is that I got it away result of a picking error at Scanner Masters. I actually only paid $20 for the $90 Puck.

I'll look for the cheaper ones though. Thanks for the tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.