UNIDEN has completely Forgotten its Australian Customers ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hesit8or

Hi it Seems UNIDEN have Completely forgotten about their Australian Customers, for 3 and a Half Years I have been told that they are Working on a Firmware Update for the BCD325P2-AU Currently at Version 1.00.02 With all of the Bugs that the rest of the World got Fixed.
I have now watched V1.30.01, V1.06.00, V1.07.06, V1.07.07, V1.07.09 and V1.08.00 be Released and Still NOTHING for us but a Bug ridden radio and Lies from Uniden Australia. When will this Issue be Fixed ?

Ubbe

As I understand it's not Uniden that decides about firmware upgrades for non-US models. Upman have said that he has nothing to do with it. It is the distributor that have to pay and order an update, and if he thinks that it will not sell more scanners then it will not happen.

/Ubbe

Ubbe

Ubbe, UPman (Paul) works for Uniden America Corporation.
Yes, I know. That's why he has nothing to do with firmwares for EU, PT and AU sold scanners firmware upgrades . Upgrades are the sole responsibility of the distributors in the different territories. They look at how many more scanners can they sell now and in the future if they finance an upgrade to be placed as an order to have Uniden convert the files. The distributors probably don't care much about the 325 model that haven't been sold enough outside of US to justify the money spent. The lack of firmware upgrades will always be the main problem when buying nonUS models.

/Ubbe

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
With all of the Bugs that the rest of the World got Fixed.
<snip>
a Bug ridden radio
What "bugs" are you referring to?

I've had my UBCD325P2 for about a year now, and it works well on the Victorian RMR, MMR and other stuff.

And I see mention on VRZ the DMR and NXDN updates will be available shortly, if not already.

Hesit8or

What "bugs" are you referring to?

I've had my UBCD325P2 for about a year now, and it works well on the Victorian RMR, MMR and other stuff.

And I see mention on VRZ the DMR and NXDN updates will be available shortly, if not already.

I Hadn't Noticed anything because I didn't have access to the different Firmware Improvements to Compare until I met a Canadian Tourist about 1 month ago, Both Scanners picked up the Same Channels yet His Audio had Noticeably much better clarity was much Louder, clearer and had much more Detail in the Digital Audio, it had Noticeable Squelch improvements and his Radio seemed to Function much faster and better than the Australian one, The GRN channels sometimes on my Radio did not produce Audio, yet his scanner had No Issues with this, his scanner produced audio much faster the beginning of transmissions weren't lost like in the AU version, he Still couldn't listen to Police either.

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
interesting. As you say, you wouldn't have noticed unless you had another to compare with.

Well, hopefully a firmware upgrade is in progress that will improve those issues.

Across the country police and some other EMS comms are now encrypted of course, which won't change with a f/w upgrade..

Hesit8or

interesting. As you say, you wouldn't have noticed unless you had another to compare with.

Well, hopefully a firmware upgrade is in progress that will improve those issues.

Across the country police and some other EMS comms are now encrypted of course, which won't change with a f/w upgrade..

His radio was only able to access the same Systems as the AU version I didn't notice a difference there, it just did it much much better, the Quality of the Digital audio and the way it processed the Audio was Instantly Noticeable.

Hesit8or

Yes, I know. That's why he has nothing to do with firmwares for EU, PT and AU sold scanners firmware upgrades . Upgrades are the sole responsibility of the distributors in the different territories. They look at how many more scanners can they sell now and in the future if they finance an upgrade to be placed as an order to have Uniden convert the files. The distributors probably don't care much about the 325 model that haven't been sold enough outside of US to justify the money spent. The lack of firmware upgrades will always be the main problem when buying nonUS models.

/Ubbe

Thats Exactly it, If the Firmware has already been written and Freely Distributed in the USA, Why is it about Money ?. Its Not about the Customer or the Product, We have been forgotten. Australians Have No Idea how much better the Quality of the same Product is when it is Debugged and Supported like the American Firmware has been, We have had Nothing to compare it to here until now. We Pay the Same price as you for this Scanner. I always thought Uniden were about focusing on great Quality Products and Customer Support like what you get in the US, But thats Not how it is here in Australia, All of our call here to Uniden Australia are Transferred to Uniden America.

VicradioZone

Premium Subscriber
@Hesit8or post number 10 in this thread can help provide a bit of an overview of some, note the word 'some', aspects of the politics and structure when dealing with what is perceived to be a singly entity who in fact have separate operating business entities and in some cases differing standards and requirements for each area. So that one single product in part may in fact require a lot of time, paperwork, juggling and differing engineering standards to achieve what you want. I know, it's frustrating.

Hesit8or

@Hesit8or post number 10 in this thread can help provide a bit of an overview of some, note the word 'some', aspects of the politics and structure when dealing with what is perceived to be a singly entity who in fact have separate operating business entities and in some cases differing standards and requirements for each area. So that one single product in part may in fact require a lot of time, paperwork, juggling and differing engineering standards to achieve what you want. I know, it's frustrating.

Thanks for that Info, I have just read the entire thread, During this 2019 fire season I know of about 20 people in this area have just Invested in these scanners and also several people in Northern NSW, to keep up with Local fire Conditions on Analogue and Digital GRN, This would be a Perfect time for Uniden to Promote their Scanners and Radios in NSW and Australia for the Bush fire Season. We have a Massive Bushfire heading this way atm. and the RFS site does not update regularly enough for us to be able to be kept Informed. I am Happy with the Functions we have in the unit Already, My Interest is in the Improved Quality of the Digital Audio and bug fixes after hearing the Difference. RE the Firmware update The unit already comes with a heap of features that aren't in use in Australia, I have been programming for a while and im aware that it would not be a really big job to comment out some sections of code that are not for use in the AU and to amend the firmware just for the increase in Audio quality, I Haven't seen any Uniden Advertising since the late 80's in Australia promoting CB/UHF/VHF/Scanning but I see Arlinco and Icom everywhere

VicradioZone

Premium Subscriber
The reality is so many aspects of the market has changed, as has the type of marketing needed.

In the 80's and 90's, well before widespread and common public internet, we relied on magazines and the like, maybe the occasional advert or product coverage in a Radio Shack / Tandy or Dick Smith TV commercial or publication.

Nowadays with the internet so accessible to most they don't need to rely as much on printed media or TV commercials I guess as it's always online mostly.

Our market was doomed to change quickly given the relatively small size of it compared to the US. Ten to fifteen years ago I remember so many US folks scoffing as we in Victoria lamented our loss of Victoria Police listening when they turned on encryption. Many in the US didn't think they'd be in our position any time soon. They had a much larger choice of listening options and networks when compared to our market.

Another frustrating aspect was when DMR / NXDN was released to the US market for the Uniden Scanners but not readily available to our units.
When you consider how quickly DMR and to a lesser extent NXDN was being adopted over here in Australia I thought it plain nuts not to release the upgrade path to our units. We got there eventually, but yes it was a frustrating wait, a wait bought about for many of the reasons touched on in that other thread.

pb_lonny

In my review of the BCD325P2-AU( BCD325P2-AU Mini Review) I did make a point of noting that it had not received any firmware updates. I was told this was not an issue as it is based on a previous model so all the issues had been fixed. You have proven this is not the case and that some improvements could be used.

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
According to the Ozscan FB page, a firmware update for the UBCD325P2AU should be released before Christmas.

Hesit8or

In my review of the BCD325P2-AU( BCD325P2-AU Mini Review) I did make a point of noting that it had not received any firmware updates. I was told this was not an issue as it is based on a previous model so all the issues had been fixed. You have proven this is not the case and that some improvements could be used.

I was told the same thing from Uniden Australia or USA as the call went to the USA call centre, And it wasn't until I Heard and saw the difference in the Quality of the audio and reception clarity on the Updated radio that I Posted this Issue. I had assumed it had been based on a later firmware like V1.07.06 that had the Audio and reception bugs fixed but that wasn't the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.