HP-2: Uniden Home Patrol-2-Project 25 Phase II

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlbjaffe

I am new to this forum so I hope I ask this question correctly and use the correct terminology. I live in Broward County FL and the public safety department recently upgraded to Project 25 Phase II. I just purchased the HP-2 scanner. The scanner is not receiving this channel. However, it appears this scanner does not recognize HEX: 997 BEE00 but only the Simulcast frequency. Unless I lock in the TGID specific 12010, which I assume is finding 774.90625c, I sporadically get chatter. I see four bars next to the battery that indicates the signal is strong. When I scan two channels, no chatter is heard. I have turned down the squelch to 2 and distance to 15 and confirmed the correct services are selected. Should I return this unit and buy a different scanner that would recognize the Project 25 Phase II TDMA modulation or could the signal or the talk group BCP D3 be secured that no scanner would pick up this frequency? I appreciate any information anyone has on this issue. Thank you.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I am new to this forum so I hope I ask this question correctly and use the correct terminology. I live in Broward County FL and the public safety department recently upgraded to Project 25 Phase II. I just purchased the HP-2 scanner. The scanner is not receiving this channel. However, it appears this scanner does not recognize HEX: 997 BEE00 but only the Simulcast frequency. Unless I lock in the TGID specific 12010, which I assume is finding 774.90625c, I sporadically get chatter. I see four bars next to the battery that indicates the signal is strong. When I scan two channels, no chatter is heard. I have turned down the squelch to 2 and distance to 15 and confirmed the correct services are selected. Should I return this unit and buy a different scanner that would recognize the Project 25 Phase II TDMA modulation or could the signal or the talk group BCP D3 be secured that no scanner would pick up this frequency? I appreciate any information anyone has on this issue. Thank you.
Your biggest problem is that the Primary site (listed as Primary Simulcast) is just that, Simulcast.
1631306992287.png
This what you get on the database when you click on that small icon near the lower left corner of the map:
1631307261898.png
That only shows two sites. But focusing only on the primaty control channel frequency, 774.90625, I see that the frequency is also on two other FCC frequencies, each with multiple sites:
1631307467984.png
1631307540014.png
Each of those have multiple transmit site locations.

So, instead of a two-site simulcast, as the database implies right now, it appears that you may be dealing with a simulcast site with a dozen or so transmit towers. The HP-2 is a decent, easy to use, scanner. I have one myself. But Simulcast is it's nemesis.

From a fixed location, you may be able to use a directional antenna to focus reception on a single tower. Or, use "less" antenna, even to the point of using a paper clip. Might work, might not, but a paper clip is a a very low cost option to at least try.

Read more about the effects of simulcast in the Wiki:

The only true scanners designed to deal with Simulcast are the Uniden SDS100 and SDS200.

The Unication pagers also work well against simulcast, but you are limited to one site, and up to 64 talkgroups, that can be scanned at any one time. You can program addition sites (like for other systems), and other sets of talkgroups, but only one site and no more than 64 TGIDs can be monitored at a time.

The BlueTail receiver also can deal with simulcast. I don't have this unit, and do not have one of the Unication pagers, but multiple comments in the forums indicate that these do work well.

Your other, lowest cost, option, if you are scanning from home & can utilize your PC, is to use one or more of the SDR dongles, along with downloadable (free) software to monitor the system. Again, this is not something I'm using, but a number of members are, apparent;y with success.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative

Since this is simulcast, the only base/mobile scanner that will work reliably is the SDS200.

jlbjaffe

I cannot thank you enough for providing me this information. I have read your information on the primary site and now realize the Simulcast is coming from multiple locations. I did not know that the frequency is also on two other FCC frequencies. I have a great deal to learn about simulcasts. I thought I would be able to listen to the Project 25 Phase II primary site not a simulcast. Your detail research is greatly appreciated!!

I did try the paper clip option but I did not receive any chatter. I also ordered a new antenna and will try the directional antenna to focus reception on a single tower. I am looking for a handheld unit and there is very limited supply of the SDS100 and the SDS200 does not appear to be easily portable.

I was told that the below models will handle Project 25 Phase II but now I know to find models that can be easily programmed that will handle Simulcast . Uniden BCD325P2, BCD436HP, BCD536HP, BCD996P2, HomePatrol-2, SDS100, SDS200, Whistler WS1080, WS1088, WS1095, WS1098, TRX-1, TRX-2.

Currently, I have programmed only one channel on the HomePatrol-2 on 774.90625c and TGID 12010. I have set the range to 15 and squelch to 2. Today I am hearing a great deal of chatter, yesterday not so much. Maybe if there is more chatter on the Simulcast from multiple locations, that is when the scanner does not work properly. I am not sure if I will return this and look for another scanner. If I cannot locate the SDS100\200 what would be your third choice? Thank you again for all your research. I really appreciate it.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I was told that the below models will handle Project 25 Phase II but now I know to find models that can be easily programmed that will handle Simulcast . Uniden BCD325P2, BCD436HP, BCD536HP, BCD996P2, HomePatrol-2, SDS100, SDS200, Whistler WS1080, WS1088, WS1095, WS1098, TRX-1, TRX-2.
Of all the scanners in the list, the Uniden SDS100 handheld and SDS200 base/mobile are the only scanners designed to handle simulcast. They are programmed using Sentinel, a free programming software provided by Uniden. Here is the link to download and install Sentinel to take a look at it: BCDx36HPSentinel < UnidenMan4 < TWiki The only other choice would be the Unication G4 and G5 pagers, but they can monitor only one system and one site at a time and are limited to 64 talkgroups. The G4 is 700/800 only. The G5 models can receive VHF and 700/800 or UHF and 700/800, but not both VHF and UHF.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I cannot thank you enough for providing me this information. I have read your information on the primary site and now realize the Simulcast is coming from multiple locations. I did not know that the frequency is also on two other FCC frequencies. I have a great deal to learn about simulcasts. I thought I would be able to listen to the Project 25 Phase II primary site not a simulcast. Your detail research is greatly appreciated!!

I did try the paper clip option but I did not receive any chatter. I also ordered a new antenna and will try the directional antenna to focus reception on a single tower. I am looking for a handheld unit and there is very limited supply of the SDS100 and the SDS200 does not appear to be easily portable.

Currently, I have programmed only one channel on the HomePatrol-2 on 774.90625c and TGID 12010. I have set the range to 15 and squelch to 2. Today I am hearing a great deal of chatter, yesterday not so much. Maybe if there is more chatter on the Simulcast from multiple locations, that is when the scanner does not work properly. I am not sure if I will return this and look for another scanner. If I cannot locate the SDS100\200 what would be your third choice? Thank you again for all your research. I really appreciate it.
A few months after the SDS series scanners were released, & I received my SDS100, I decided to try a comparison test on how well various model scanners performed under simulcast conditions.

Based on comments that I have seen here in the forums, particularly down in the Texas Forum, as well as comments in the old DFWScan Yahoo group (which dealt with systems in my area), I picked out a few areas in the DFW Metro counties where simulcast problems were reported by a number of people. I then spent some time going to these locations, carrying four scanners with me:
My SDS100
BCD436HP
BCD325P2
TRX-1.

All four were programmed with the same systems, and all were using the same antenna.

The SDS100 stayed busy, receiving multiple transmissions on a variety of talkgroups on each system.

The 436HP struggled at times, but was receiving around 80%, though not all transmissions were perfectly clear; some were a bit garbled.

The 325P2was down in the 50 to 60% range.

The TRX-1 was below 50%.

Had your system of interest matched the first graphic I posted, which showed only two transmit sites, your work-a-round might have been relatively straightforward & effective:
1631386901362.png
If you were only dealing with two sites, then either a directional antenna, or (if using the antenna on the scanner instead of an external one), something as basic as placing a metal baking pan beside the scanner, to block off signals coming from that direction, might have been all you needed.

But since, based on the licensing, you may actually have a dozen or more towers to deal with, that simple fix is unlikely to work. If you want to try a directional antenna, don't assume that aiming it at the closest site is all you need. If that 'closest site' is in a direction that one or more other sites are in the same general direction, either 'beside' your aiming point, or back behind it, it might still leave you dead in the water. If possible, pick a site that, if you were 'viewing it with binoculars', you would not see other sites in that direction in your field of view.

Note that you can possibly verify that your issue is simulcast by taking your HP-2 with you, and getting as close as possible to one site, say a quarter mile of less. If that close, the overpowering signal from that one transmitter may drown out the out of sync signals from other transmitters.

jlbjaffe

Thank you everyone for this information. I will try to get as close as possible to one site and see if the issue is improved. I will also try the P25 mode (did not about that) by doing the following ......

On the HP2 go to menu, audio options. Then hold you finger down on the lower right corner of the screen. It will highlight. After a couple seconds you will get two more options on the menu. P25 Filter and P25 mode If you hold down in same area again you will get a third new option on the menu. P25 Logging-Not sure what manual set to 7 is?

I also read the master system thread for the Broward system at
Broward County P25 (997.BEE00) Thank you for that information.

I definitely have a lot to learn before I send the scanner back or buy a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.