Uniden Home Patrol in Marion/Hamilton Counties?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndyRick

I'm seriously considering purchasing a Uniden Home Patrol. If you use one in Marion and/or Hamilton Counties...I'd like to hear your experiences with it.

If you DON'T use one....well, this thread isn't for you. :)

Thanks,

Rick N9GSU

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Rick, I have an HP-1 (and a GRE PSR-800). My testing of the HP-1 listening to MECA while in Marion County has been limited--not enough to make any real judgement. Maybe we can get together sometime and let you try it out.

indyone

I live in Avon and have both a HP-1 and a PSR-800. I haven't had much luck monitoring the Indianapolis system with either scanner. Take into consideration that this is with the stock antenna on both. I've monitored Hamilton County's system just fine with the HP-1 while at work on the far north side. It sounds as good as any other I've used. If you want to monitor Indy's system, it will take some work. That system type is a pain to monitor. It does great with SAFE-T. Overall, I think it's a pretty neat scanner. It's very simple to use.

IndyRick

Thanks, fellas. While I'll be using it here at home, the REAL reason I am getting it is because we travel so much...I think it's going to be a great traveling scanner.

With the Hamilton County EDACS system, it took a lot of tweaking on my other scanners to get it right. I'm interested to see how the HP-1 will do with it.

I'm a newbie to the Marion County system, so it should be interesting! :)

IndyRick

Just picked it up tonight. WOW....I'm impressed. It's gonna take a bit of learning, but I'm very pleasantly surprised at how easily I had it up and scanning the local systems.....

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Don't forget to fire up the Sentinel software and update the internal database.

Viper43

The next thing is add the extremme version and use the LTR LCN finder and other great features. Using the LCN finder on the Indy systems I found only one LTR system that had the right LCN right in the DB and that was a system I submitted. Even Hamilton Co. EDACS System is wrong.....
Anyway the extra features are worth the money!
BTW, the HP works great on MECA from my place or around Indy but antenna choice makes a huge difference!

A

Agentblack

Even Hamilton Co. EDACS System is wrong.....

That is not correct. HamCo's LCN's are listed correctly in the database as of 2014 hours 11/2/2011. This has been confirmed via an official resource and is not of the "hearsay" nature that tends to pollute these forums.

If you have any questions, please contact me directly to ensure that you get the proper information.

SCPD

QRT
I tried a HP for a couple of weeks in Hamilton County and it worked great for EDACS but had some issues on MECA a friend of mine wanted me to check it out and make sure it was set up right and it was however EDACS LCNS and Primary CC change a lot and the DB shows no Alternate CC but more often than not the EDACS is on the Alternate than the 857.5125Primary CC seems to have a lot of issues.
Viper I think you know where to go for the proper Info lol

scannerfreak

Database Admin
There is no alternate CC listed, you are correct. It has absolutely no bearing on a scanner receiving the system. By default you need every frequency programmed in so a scanner will always track the system no matter what LCN is being used as the CC.

IndyRick

OK! So far, I've been extremely happy with this scanner. From my home, 108th/College, basically, no problems with either the Hamilton County or Marion County systems.

My ONE gripe with the radio is the battery life indicator. No matter how long you run the radio...it stays green, all the way to the top. Then, after several hours...it'll drop to zero and shut off, within a matter of 5-6 minutes. It seems to be a common problem. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.