Uniden Home Patrol One question

Status
Not open for further replies.

W9NES

I have locked out Indianapolis Dept of Public Safety and Hamilton County on my Uniden Home Patrol.I locked out both of these out perminantly by accident. How do I restore these without having to create a new list.Is there a easy way to get these back.If anyone can help that would be greatly appreceited on this end.Thank You.

W9NES

Thank You bfpdp for your post.All scanners that I have bought over my many years of scanning as a professional scanner user have included the owners manual.I would have never known about the owners manual being on line.The little piece of paper that comes with the scanner is printed so small that it is very easy to miss the link that Upman has posted.Maybe Upman will include a Gain antenna with the Uniden Home Patrol 2 scanner when it is released to the scanner users who use scanners 24/7/365. Upman, Are you listening?

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Thank You bfpdp for your post.All scanners that I have bought over my many years of scanning as a professional scanner user have included the owners manual.I would have never known about the owners manual being on line.The little piece of paper that comes with the scanner is printed so small that it is very easy to miss the link that Upman has posted.Maybe Upman will include a Gain antenna with the Uniden Home Patrol 2 scanner when it is released to the scanner users who use scanners 24/7/365. Upman, Are you listening?

This has been discussed here many times. Both GRE & Uniden are doing what alot of companies are doing these days which is to provide a starter guide in the box at the time of purchase with info on how to download a full version of the O/M online (more times than not in pdf format).
This is being done for couple reasons:
--It is the more "green" approach. This means that less paper is used for printing owners manuals. This saves paper and resources.
--It saves the company money. let's face it: after you first learn the radio you almost never need the manual again. It gets filed away somewhere.
This is money wasted on manuals that end up in a filing cabinet somewhere never to see the light of day again. I have a crap ton of manuals that I have not looked at in years in a filing cabinet.
In these conservative financial times printing a starter guide with a link to full manual online saves Uniden (and GRE) money that can be directed elsewhere.
If you wish to have print out a full version from online you are more than welcome to...however most folks when presented with this option would end up printing out specific parts of the full manual as a "cheat sheet" and not all of it.
It is a win-win for the company and the end user as the company saves money and the end user only has to print out what they need as opposed to the entire manual.
Marshall KE4ZNR

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
#3: It also allows the manufacturer to update the O/M to incorporate improvements, changes due to firmware updates, etc.

Had we included an O/M in the box, it would have been outdated within months.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
This has been discussed here many times. Both GRE & Uniden are doing what alot of companies are doing these days

These guys who say "I paid a whole FIVE HUNNERD DOLLARS for this and didn't get a manual" make me wonder what they'd think if they purchased a $20k+ car from whichever company it is (I can't recall, possibly Nissan) who is now putting the owner's manual on an iPad - no more paper.

W9NES

UPMan, I hope when you come out with the Uniden HP-2 you will include a All band "Gain" antenna to cover all the bands. The HP-1 antenna that comes with the unit does not work.I put a 800Mhz Gain Rubber Duck antenna on the HP-1 with a SMA to BNC adapter and it has helped out on the reception but will not cover any of the other bands.Upman, Why does Uniden not include the SMA to BNC adapter with the HP-1. This should be included in the price along with a Gain antenna for all bands.. Some people cannot read the little manual that came with the HP-1. I would have not known about the manual on line until Upman posted it.Now I have it on a icon on my computer when I need it.Can you answer those questions UPMan.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I can address a couple:

1) What is an HP-2? I would like to know all of its features, too. :)

2) AFAIK, there is no such thing as a compact antenna that can provide gain for all bands. Those pesky laws of physics get in the way.

3) I believe I addressed the manual issue, above. The print on the quick-start guide is about 10 point, which is plenty legible (a printed O/M would have type that is not any bigger...at least you can blow up a PDF to whatever size you need). The O/M link I posted above is the same as the manual provided with the HomePatrol-1 (on the SD card). Depending on production date, the linked version might be more accurate to the current firmware release than the one on the SD card (which matches the firmware in the unit when you got it, but maybe not after you update it).

My mom's 2-year old Subaru Forester has a very small "Essentials" O/M included, with a bigger O/M available for download. (https://www.subaru.com/my-subaru/owners/resource-center/owners-manuals/search.html).

W9NES

UPMan, Understand that Uniden is working on a HP-2 with updates.Any ideas on when this will be made available.How about beta testing in the Metro Indianapolis/Marion County,Indiana area for this before it is made available to the general public?

KB8KOJ

Premium Subscriber
These guys who say "I paid a whole FIVE HUNNERD DOLLARS for this and didn't get a manual" make me wonder what they'd think if they purchased a $20k+ car from whichever company it is (I can't recall, possibly Nissan) who is now putting the owner's manual on an iPad - no more paper.
Yeah, I would love torque specs and wiring diagrams instead of the glossy welcome to XM and Goodyear brochures. After all, the diagrams and torque specs don't change. Evolving and improving technology does. Now even consumer stuff has this issue. ;)

W9NES

UPMan, Have been told that Uniden has in the works a Uniden Home patrol 2 with a lot more features that the Home patrol 1. If anyone is using a All band Gain antenna on the Home Patrol 1 could you please let us know what you are using.Thank You.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
It isn't too likely that anyone (in the entire universe) would know about a Uniden model in the works before I did.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Paul, you're fighting a losing battle here. Your wit and sarcasm are completely lost on the OP, believe me. :roll:

As for everyone else who complains about a lack of user manual in the box...if Uniden sent you out with every new scanner purchase to personally train the end user, they still wouldn't be satisfied. I personally love having the manuals online, as you said it's much easier to update them that way when firmware/features change.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
UPMan, Have been told that Uniden has in the works a Uniden Home patrol 2 with a lot more features that the Home patrol 1. If anyone is using a All band Gain antenna on the Home Patrol 1 could you please let us know what you are using.Thank You.

With all due respect you do realize who UPMan is don't you?
UPMan=Uniden Product Manager.
Ain't nuthin getting developed at Uniden without him knowing about it.
And since he said earlier in this thread:

Um, see #1, above. I really don't know what an HP-2 is.

That means that whoever told you that straight up lied to you.
I mean you can trust your friend with no connection to Uniden or the guy who is in charge of Radio Products at Uniden.
The choice is up to you.
Marshall KE4ZNR

W9NES

Thanks UPMan for what you have posted here. As for others I have been a Professional Scanner User for a very long time and just got a New Home Patrol 1 to add to my Communications Center.Thank You for letting us know that the source is not giving me the correct info. As I asked in my post if anyone is using a Uniden Home Patrol 1 with a All band Rubber Duck antenna that covers all the bands and has a Gain I would like to know what the brand name of the antenna and has it made a difference in your receive giving you a more sensitive *Front End* of the Uniden Home Patrol 1. Scanner Master who has a ad posted here on RR sells Gain antennas and would like to know which one to buy.Thank You.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.