Uniden Home Patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
I’m fixing to purchase a unidenhome patrol and wanted some input from the community. Pros and cons?

Might consider keeping this in the truck since it updates via zip code etc and listens for transmission in the area but are there anything about this that anyone likes or dislikes?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
It's a great scanner, as far as it goes. It doesn't do digital and has trouble with simulcast. Digital is becoming more and more popular.

Uniden supports it as far as repairs, etc., but they're not providing any new firmware updates. Essentially, what you see is what you get with no aspirations for improvements in the future.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
To clarify, the Uniden HomePatrol 2 *does* receive P25 Digital systems (Phase 1 & 2). It is not upgradable to receive DMR, NXDN or ProVoice digital like some of Uniden's other current models are.

Last edited:

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
The HomePatrol 1 (discontinued, P25 Phase 1 only) and HomePatrol 2 models are simplified scanners that are easy to use with their large touch screen display but lack some of the more advanced features that most current Uniden scanners have. The "Extreme Upgrade" option (which can be purchased afterwards at any time) adds back some of these features but not all.

Its form factor fits well on a desk or in a car, especially where space is limited. Even though it runs on batteries, it is not a great form factor for a hand held scanner.

There are lots of reviews and comparisons you can look at for more detailed information.

dragonball

It's a great scanner, as far as it goes. It doesn't do digital and has trouble with simulcast. Digital is becoming more and more popular.

Uniden supports it as far as repairs, etc., but they're not providing any new firmware updates. Essentially, what you see is what you get with no aspirations for improvements in the future.
mine is digital

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
The HomePatrol 1 can receive analog and P25 Phase 1 digital systems. It has been discontinued.

The HomePatrol 2 can receive analog, P25 Phase 1 and P25 Phase 2 systems. This covers the majority of Public Safety communications in the U.S.

There are businesses and some Public Safety organizations using DMR (aka Mototrbo), NXDN and ProVoice which the HomePatrol series will not receive.

VSELP
A proprietary voice encoding standard developed by Motorola for digital cellular radio communications in the United States.VSELP is a type of code excited linear predictive (CELP) coding algorithm that typically encodes voice at an average rate of 7.95 kbps and adds overhead of 5.05 kbps for error control and synchronization for a total rate of 13 kbps, that actually can burst up to 48 kbps. Other versions of VSELP support voice at rates as low as 4.8 kbps. CELP uses a stochastically overlapped codebook, with each entry sharing all but two samples with its neighboring entries.VSELP offers the advantage of a codebook structure that allows a more efficient search procedure by using the sum of two basis vectors, although the computational complexity is greater.VSELP is specified in IS-54 and IS-136, better known as D-AMPS, in the pan-European GSM standard, and the Japanese PDC standard.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
ProVoice is EDACS digital and their support was discontinued in 2017.

I have a HomePatrol 2 and it is the best scanner I have ever owned in over 50 years, with the exception of it's difficulties decoding simulcast systems. The big bright touchscreen works great on my dash.

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
Ah okay, well i was still considering on getting the HP1 but maybe i could fork up a few more bucks and more after that for an HP2 but i was also looking at the Uniden BC796D that someone also had local but programming cable i wonder if its something i can find locally or need to order, anything special with that particular model i can do? I dont remember if someone mention a certain scanner can log and keep track of talkgroups from a site?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Ah okay, well i was still considering on getting the HP1 but maybe i could fork up a few more bucks and more after that for an HP2 but i was also looking at the Uniden BC796D that someone also had local but programming cable i wonder if its something i can find locally or need to order, anything special with that particular model i can do? I dont remember if someone mention a certain scanner can log and keep track of talkgroups from a site?
Uniden scanners, as a whole, do not have a built in hit counter. Most of the recent models can be connected to a PC to log talkgroups and frequencies in use using software such as ProScan, FreeSCAN, or one of Butel's ARC software programs. The Home Patrol series scanners, from the HP-1/HP-2, the later models, BCD436HP/BCD536HP, as well as the SDS100/SDS200, can record activity internally for playback later, but that's not a log, only a collection of audio files.

I would shy away from the 796D, unless someone is literally giving it away. That model was released in 2003, and has been out of production for over ten years. ScannerMaster does show to still have the cable. But the 796D cannot handle the P25 Phase II systems, and also is not capable of handling 700MHz frequencies, which are becoming prevalent in larger metro areas.

The BCT15X is a good analog scanner, if you don't have digital systems that you want to monitor in your area, but you can only log activity via software on a PC. The HP-2 is a good, easy to use scanner, but, again, no built in logging, only recording as noted above.

Status
Not open for further replies.