Uniden Homepatrol-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbledsoe63

I am interested in purchasing the Uniden Homepatrol-2. In the manual, it says to update the firmware and database, you need to connect it a PC via USB cable. I don't have a PC. Is it a necessity to connect it to PC to update the firmware and database?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I am interested in purchasing the Uniden Homepatrol-2. In the manual, it says to update the firmware and database, you need to connect it a PC via USB cable. I don't have a PC. Is it a necessity to connect it to PC to update the firmware and database?
It does need to be a PC using Windows. Neither iOS (on an Apple Mac) nor a Chromebook will work.

You don't need the latest and greatest PC. As long as it can connect to the internet, for firmware & database updates (the HP-2 has not had any firmware updates, and none are likely) using Uniden's Sentinel software) you could use an older used laptop or desktop PC. Sentinel does not require a ultra fast PC nor gobs of memory. If you keep looking around, you can find a used laptop for about $100, even less if you find one at a pawn shop, estate sale, or garage sale.

The database that comes pre-installed in the HP-2 likely will be well out of date, so that, at least, would need to be updated.

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
You will need some sort of windows pc, as been mentioned it can be a hand me down (i use an old windows xp netbook just for my scanners)...but you will also need internet access to do any updates and to download the latest databases etc... which you could use someone's wifi if needed

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
In a single word, YES! Not only to update the database to the latest version, but to push that info to the scanner!

herbertbutler

Premium Subscriber
Scanner master sells an updated SIM chip that will be "pre-programed" for most areas and the updated 700 mhz P-25 (phase 2) systems for the Road patrol #2.

AzTac

bledsoe63 - Apologies if I muddy the waters here, but it's important to note the Home Patrol will FUNCTION just fine without needing PC connection. The only thing the PC does is update the frequency database and allow you to create an optional "favorites list." The reality is that in many areas frequencies/systems are rarely changed - in other areas change is somewhat more common. Your Radio Reference state forum would give you some insight as to any current system changes taking place or proposed.

Bottom line: If your Home Patrol comes with a reasonably current database it would serve you just fine for the foreseeable future unless your area is migrating to new radio systems.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
bledsoe63 - Apologies if I muddy the waters here, but it's important to note the Home Patrol will FUNCTION just fine without needing PC connection. The only thing the PC does is update the frequency database and allow you to create an optional "favorites list."
The database that comes with the scanner is at more than a year out of date, so you'll most likely need to update it before using it, or you'll probably miss stuff.

Scannernitwit

The database that comes with the scanner is at more than a year out of date, so you'll most likely need to update it before using it, or you'll probably miss stuff.

In a day or so I will be purchasing a SDS 100.
Shopping right now.
I also will be looking for a used PC laptop (Apple user) for programing. (?)
Do I need a specific PC operating system?
I will be sending the SDS 100 to you for an internal GPS immediately after the holidays if okay by you.
Merry Christmas, happy holidays!
Take care,
Kevin

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
In a day or so I will be purchasing a SDS 100.
Shopping right now.
I also will be looking for a used PC laptop (Apple user) for programing. (?)
Do I need a specific PC operating system?
I will be sending the SDS 100 to you for an internal GPS immediately after the holidays if okay by you.
Merry Christmas, happy holidays!
Take care,
Kevin
Sentinel does not much in the way of system resources. You don't need a superfast processor nor a lot of RAM memory. I know that Sentinel will work on Windows 7 & later. The only key requirement is that your PC must be able to connect to the internet, so that database updates, as well as any firmware or software updates, can be received. A used or refurbed laptop or desktop PC will work. Keep an eye on garage or estate sales, as well as pawn shops. You may run across a suitable PC for $100 or less.

Scannernitwit

Thank you Steve, my son is PC savvy and he will be helping me get a PC laptop.
I spent some time tonight reading the SDS 100 instructions… yikes!

Take care,

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.