Uniden HP-1 Cig Lighter Adapter RFI + other questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

rja1

Premium Subscriber
So I finally decided to put the HP-1 in the car. I quickly realized the DC to DC adapter was a great generator of RFI on the AM broadcast band. Nice annoying heterodyne on two of my favorite stations. And why would Uniden design a receiver that would obviously be used in vehicles for 9 volt use?? Hey, guys: ever hear of an LM-7809 voltage regulator chip??

Anybody have a quick fix for this? Bypass the +9VDC line to ground at the adapter, wrap the adapter in tin foil & ground the foil, ferrite beads at the output of the adapter........or?????

Next question: Any getting around the HP-1 lowering the volume when it's turned on. Since it's a noisy environment, I have the volume turned all the way up. Turn the power off, then on, radio comes back on with the volume just past 1/2 up. The HP-1 is buried, not easy to get to (for obvious reasons ; )).

In an effort to get around the above problem, anyone using the Uniden BC-23A Amplified Speaker with the HP-1? Are you using the earphone out jack or the line out jack.

Thanks for your help!

Bob

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Volume: Try setting the volume, turning it off using the power button, then turning it back on using the power button. I can't get to an HP-1 to check right now, but it is quite possible that that is a setting that is not saved on "ungraceful" power down.

Status
Not open for further replies.