Uniden HP-1 Location Control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdickert

Premium Subscriber
I'm a little stumped as to what the "location control" toggle on a favorites list actually does. I found nothing in either the regular nor extreme manuals, and the information on the radio through the onboard help really isn't clear to me. Wondering if anyone understands what this toggle truly does?

I'm in Poinciana, Florida and the main thing I see is that my Polk county systems drop off when location control is enabled. My range is set for 10 miles and I live right on the border of Polk and Osceola counties (but actually in Osceola)

Any ideas? Appreciate any feedback that comes outta this posting :)

Rick

Dewey

You mentioned something that I have been thinking for quite some time... Sentinel needs a manual! Like you, that portion of the favorites list often has me wondering if I am interpreting it right. My opinion on the location control is that if it is turned off, then favorites outside of your GPS/zip code/city range will still be monitored. Again, that's just my opinion, so I might be totally off base.

AJAT

Premium Subscriber
Location control if turned on, will lock out those favorites groups if you have a GPS attached and travel out of the area programed for the group, Or if you would manually change your location. If turned off it will always scan that list regardless of where you are.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
From the Sentinel help file:
Favorites Lists - Right-click on the Favorites List you want to display the options drop-down menu. Select ON or OFF to indicate if you want the Favorites list to download to your HomePatrol unit when you next update. Set Location Control to Yes or No to indicate whether you want HomePatrol to use the location setting in this profile.

Dewey

From the Sentinel help file:

Paul, not being argumentive, but that's the problem with the help file... at least to me. "Use the location setting in this profile". Does that mean it will use the profile's location setting, and not the GPS settings (?location settings?) in the favorite? Another example of the confusion that I am suffering is that it appears to me that the favorites are saved across the board. I expected them to be saved independently in the individual files, but I have found that what ever I do to favorites in one file (not profile, but actual file), add, or delete, it occurs across the board in all files. Not saying that this is wrong, just not what I expected when traversing independent files.

EDIT: After typing this response, I think a light came on. Is this a hierarchial setting similar to the GPS programming in the XTs Systems and Groups? The profile's GPS coordinates are the largest "daddy" perimeter coordinates, and the systems in the favorites are the smaller coordinates inside of the daddy perimeter?

Last edited:

rdickert

Premium Subscriber
I'm still somewhat confused, but for anyone who knows me - that isn't a huge stretch :) Here's part of my confusion.

Let's say that I set up my HP based on my zipcode of 34758. This brings in sites from Osecola, Polk and Orange County. I copy those found channels (selected service types) over to a Favorites list. When I load the favorites list and Location Control is toggled off, I still use systems from those three counties. If I toggle Location Control on, Polk and Orange drop off. As my zip code is based in Osceola County, could it be that Location Control limits scanning to systems within that specific county?

Why is the sky blue? LOL - I'm really trying to understand the logic involved with this and appreciate the feedback.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Dewey: The profilels location setting just tells the HP-1 where it should base location selection on by default when you transfer that profile to the HP-1. If you then enter any other location in the HP-1, then the entered location will be used, instead (center of the zip code, city, etc).

The setting for Location Control is a per-Favorites List (FL) setting. If turned off, then everything in the FL that isn't unlocked is going to be scanned when that FL is loaded, regardless of your location. Useful for some nationwide stuff like GMRS, CB, etc.

bee: What don't you understand? I am assuming that you have read the linked article...

KD8HE

Premium Subscriber
The article Upman has suggested was very helpful to me as a first time user of location control. BUT I didn't realize the location data in the HP1 database was input by Radio Reference (RR) volunteer submissions not from the FCC databases or Uniden sources. In many cases location data in the RR database is not accurate and results in some systems that you would logically think should not be scanned to be loaded inspite of your range settings.
My solution was to list the offending systems for my area, verify the RR database location data and work with local database administrators to correct the RR data. Tedious work but it sure cleaned up my area loads.
49 states to go...
Harry

bee

I use a GPS with the HomePatrol.

Sometimes I use a favorites list, and chose "Ignore GPS", and sometimes when traveling I use the GPS and chose "use GPS". Is it ok to leave location control off, with both of these situations?

Thanks

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Well, if you have location control set to "Off", use of a GPS won't affect that Favorites List at all.

jkahn

Very good looking Member
Premium Subscriber
Dewey: The profilels location setting just tells the HP-1 where it should base location selection on by default when you transfer that profile to the HP-1. If you then enter any other location in the HP-1, then the entered location will be used, instead (center of the zip code, city, etc).

The setting for Location Control is a per-Favorites List (FL) setting. If turned off, then everything in the FL that isn't unlocked is going to be scanned when that FL is loaded, regardless of your location. Useful for some nationwide stuff like GMRS, CB, etc.

Paul:
I may be a little dense, and I know Dewey is cause he's a retired cop! :D Do I have this right:

Location in the profile is your home or office zip code for general location purposes. It gets replaced by the GPS setting if moving, or the location you enter manually when you move the unit to somelace other than "home".

If location control is set to "ON" in one or more favorites, and if the gps location information in that favorite fits the parameter (distance and shape sizes) which includes the current location (from profile, GPS, or manual reset of location), the favorite list turns on or off.

If all of your favorites location controls are set to "ON" and you are traveling with a GPS attached, when you enter or leave the monitored area of a favorite list, it will turn on or off automatically. If a list is set to "OFF" it will stay on indefinately if it is selected, regardless of physical or travelling locations.

Am I close?

JK ;)

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Favorites lists themselves are not turned on and off by GPS (or other location input). You have to tell the HP-1 which FL's to use. What gets turned on and off are the Sites and Channel groups within FLs that have Location Control enabled (if the FL is being used).

bee

If using a favorires list, why not just set the range to 0 miles for just ther immediate area, or 30 miles if you want to "hear it all".

If using the GPS, why not just do the same thing, instead of using location controll.

No, i still dont quite understand.

Dewey

If using a favorires list, why not just set the range to 0 miles for just ther immediate area, or 30 miles if you want to "hear it all".

If using the GPS, why not just do the same thing, instead of using location controll.

No, i still dont quite understand.

My guessing at this is that location control gives you a little more flexibility. An example would be things that can expand farther than the 30 mile limit, in which case, you wouldn't want location control. While they are already in the master database, CB, MURS, & GMRS/FRS come to mind. These frequencies are unchanging across the entire country. You might set up a Favorites List to give the various channels more personal labels like "Red", "Alpha", "Hot", "REACT", etc. Once done, you might want this Favorite List always on no matter where you are, but still want other Favorites to be GPS controlled. Again, just my guess at it. As always, I reserve the right to be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.