Uniden HP-1 vs BCD536hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrChuckNorris

Hello all!

I am new to both this forum and the scanner world. I have a few questions in regards to these 2 units. I am on the fence as to which unit i should buy. Here in Canada the HP-1 is for sale at 575 and the BCD536hp will be sold for 675 when it does arrive. I am curious as to weather the extra 100 bucks is really worth it? What can the latest and greatest one do that the other one cant? Minus ofcourse the wifi and larger SD card capability and APCO Phase 2(which isnt used here). I am honestly just looking for a couple of power users to chime in and tell me if its really worth the extra few bucks! Thanks!

Plan on listening to anyone who is broadcasting. Not much in my area except for the usual suspects. Police, fire ems ect ect.

safetyobc

i guess it would depend on what your application is and style you like. I prefer the 536 size/shape. I like the number keys/knobs vs. the touch screen.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
So other then size and shape both are pretty much capable of performing the same functionality?
The biggest difference is that the 536 can handle Phase II (which you already knew), whereas the Home Patrol 1 cannot. However, unless you also purchase the Extreme Upgrade, you cannot enter, edit, or otherwise change frequency/system information directly from the keyboard on the HP-1. You can do that with the 536; also on the handheld 436HP.

Boatanchor

Would you be at all concerned with being left behind with firm ware ect ect with only the HP1 ?

This is a pretty big question mark IMO.

It will be interesting to see if Uniden continue to support the HP-1 in any meaningful way after the release of these new units.

Another thing to consider is the frequency coverage. The new scanners cover more spectrum than the HP-1. Not sure if this is really relevant in Canada, but it sure is in my part of the world.

Also, I predict one or two additional lower spec 'Digital' models, with a few less whistles and bells, being released from Uniden later this year. Once the 'Flagship' models have moved a few units, I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were at least a replacement for the 396XT waiting in the wings :)

MrChuckNorris

Yeah, Knowing me in the end i will just buy the 536 because i have the greatest chance of future proofing myself with it. And honestly i would be spending the 100 i saved on the extreme upgrade anyways.

whsbuss

This is a pretty big question mark IMO.

It will be interesting to see if Uniden continue to support the HP-1 in any meaningful way after the release of these new units.

Another thing to consider is the frequency coverage. The new scanners cover more spectrum than the HP-1. Not sure if this is really relevant in Canada, but it sure is in my part of the world.

Also, I predict one or two additional lower spec 'Digital' models, with a few less whistles and bells, being released from Uniden later this year. Once the 'Flagship' models have moved a few units, I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were at least a replacement for the 396XT waiting in the wings :)

Or, since a ton of HP-1's were sold, an updated version (HP-2?) might be in the future later this year. There are many non-technical users that love the ease and operation of the touch screen.

whsbuss

The biggest difference is that the 536 can handle Phase II (which you already knew), whereas the Home Patrol 1 cannot. However, unless you also purchase the Extreme Upgrade, you cannot enter, edit, or otherwise change frequency/system information directly from the keyboard on the HP-1. You can do that with the 536; also on the handheld 436HP.

You can however change the information via the Sentinal software.

SquierStrat

Also, I predict one or two additional lower spec 'Digital' models, with a few less whistles and bells, being released from Uniden later this year. Once the 'Flagship' models have moved a few units, I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were at least a replacement for the 396XT waiting in the wings

Or, since a ton of HP-1's were sold, an updated version (HP-2?) might be in the future later this year. .

i would be INCREDIBLY surprised if either of those 2 options happened. I just cant see uniden releasing another line of digital scanners (especially a "budget" line) for at least a couple years..

Last edited:

Boatanchor

i would be INCREDIBLY surprised if either of those 2 options happened. I just cant see uniden releasing another line of digital scanners (especially a "budget" line) for at least a couple years..

You think?

The only thing stopping Uniden from announcing additional, lower cost, digital models right now is that such an announcement would seriously detract from the hype and excitement surrounding the X36HP release. UPMan has mentioned that the X36HP scanners are Uniden's 'Flagship' models, he hasn't said that these are the only digital models in the pipeline.

As I've said before, not everyone wants/needs Phase 2 support or SD card based logging facilities or trunk analysis or wifi. If they did, Whistler wouldn't have bothered to purchase the rights to re-produce the PSR500/600's. Many of us just want something compact (the 436HP is larger than a PSR500) and receives analogue and phase 1 well. The 396XT fills that role now, with some caveats, but the 396XT has been out since 2009, the 396T was released in 2005 - recognize the pattern?

Of course, Uniden may choose to simply extend the life cycle of the 396XT for a while longer too.

Regardless, if Uniden don't continue the 396XT or release an updated version for <$400 this year, they stand to suffer from loss of sales once Whistler gets their act together. To borrow a Ford analogy, you can't expect to sell everyone a Mustang when many people just want a Focus :)

As for the HP-1, it just doesn't make sense to buy one now unless you really can't do without the touchscreen.

MrChuckNorris

Yeah i think i am def going the 536 route. Something else i was wondering? What would you guys recommend for a replacement base antenna? Also will it pick up ham radio transmissions? My understanding is they operate mainly below the 25khz freqs? Just wondering if i will hear the pirate radio stuff on the right nights?

safetyobc

The 536 only goes down to 25 MHz. Those pirate radios you are talking about operate lower. A good Kaito 1103 is a nice little portable shortwave radio for that kind of thing. Base antenna would depend on your frequencies you are focused on.

MrChuckNorris

i would like to cover as many as i possibly could. A Jack of all trades style antenna vs one specific to a certain band.

MrChuckNorris

The 536 only goes down to 25 MHz. Those pirate radios you are talking about operate lower. A good Kaito 1103 is a nice little portable shortwave radio for that kind of thing. Base antenna would depend on your frequencies you are focused on.

Just ordered that radio! Thanks for the tip. I have never seen a product get so many good reviews hahah

scosgt

In a few more years they will probably just stop making analog police scanners.
The world is rapidly heading into digital trunking.
Scanners are made for Police/Public Service monitoring, not AM radio or FM radio or NASCAR (because they make dedicated radios for that).

Just like they no longer make dial telephones.

If you want to monitor conventional frequencies only, you can buy an Icom or other radio just for that. And they can scan too.

cherubim

Premium Subscriber
Scanners are made for Police/Public Service monitoring, not AM radio or FM radio or NASCAR (because they make dedicated radios for that).

Radio scanning is not confined to monitoring EMS and Police . Why do people continue to spread this misconception ? Plenty of people use their scanners to monitor aircraft (civil and military), marine, railways, businesses etc ..

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
So other then size and shape both are pretty much capable of performing the same functionality?

I'd say the firmware is nearly the same with the exception of the missing Wi-Fi feature on the 436. Keep in mind the casing and layout, and choice of antenna could be a lean toward the 536 for rejection of spurious signals or man made electronic noise. It really depends on the usage preference, base vs. mobile, vs. travel. However I'll use a discontinued Scanner Master BC780XLT (DIN size) case for my new 536 for travel use.

Status
Not open for further replies.