Uniden HP-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouellette

Premium Subscriber
I have a question regarding the CTCSS function on my home patrol. I cannot seem to get that function to work on my radio. I have many frequencies for my area programmed, but when the scanner stops on any those frequencies, the CTCSS codes do not show up in the display. And I am also getting splash over from frequencies that are close together 156.000 & 156.2175. I have all frequencies programmed through SENTINEL, with the correct pl's, but the radio doesn't seem to recognize them. I have had the radio for a few years and I believe the CTCSS function worked before. Maybe I changed something by mistake??

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
Delete the assigned tones, put both frequencies into CTCSS search mode, and see what PL shows up when the freq is active?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have a question regarding the CTCSS function on my home patrol. I cannot seem to get that function to work on my radio. I have many frequencies for my area programmed, but when the scanner stops on any those frequencies, the CTCSS codes do not show up in the display. And I am also getting splash over from frequencies that are close together 156.000 & 156.2175. I have all frequencies programmed through SENTINEL, with the correct pl's, but the radio doesn't seem to recognize them. I have had the radio for a few years and I believe the CTCSS function worked before. Maybe I changed something by mistake??
For the HP-1, on conventional frequencies, if there is a valid tone (PL/CTCSS), DCS code (also called DPL), or NAC (for digital transmissions), the scanner does not display that when receiving a transmission. If NO tone, DCS, or NAC is entered, and the frequency is set to search (in the tone/code/NAC field), then, when it recognizes a valid entry, that value will flash in the lower right of the display.

As far as the adjacent channels, that unfortunately is an annoyance. The HP-1 does not have a narrow filter such as the 436HP or 536HP, and may receive strong adjacent channels. Entering the correct tone/code/NAC (if known) for the frequency, plus possibly resetting the Mode to NFM (instead of 'FM' may help, but if the adjacent signal is strong enough, you'll still hear it.

mouellette

Premium Subscriber
These are valid tones for the frequencies that I monitor. When I monitor them on my BC996XT, the tones show in the display and I do net get the adjacent channel interference. Something has changed because I remember the tones showing in the display before.
Thanks.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
These are valid tones for the frequencies that I monitor. When I monitor them on my BC996XT, the tones show in the display and I do net get the adjacent channel interference. Something has changed because I remember the tones showing in the display before.
Thanks.
I understand that you have a valid tone entered.

For the 396XT, among other scanners, yes the tone/dcs/NAC displays during reception. However, that is not the case with the HP-1. I've had mine for six years, and have the tone/code, etc entered on conventional frequencies that I monitor. However, when the scanner stops on one of these, it does not display the tone/code value. That only displays when that field is set to 'search'.

The 396XT might also be less susceptible to interference from adjacent channels than the HP-1. I have two 396XT's, and the adjacent channel issue is not as apparent as on the HP-1.

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
Thanks.

I believe that is what the above poster was saying. The HP1/2 will NOT show the tones if you enter them in correctly. They only show up when you have the channel on CTCSS/DCS Search mode.

I could have told you that in my first post but I misunderstood I think. I leave some of mine on Search mode just to see the tones show up. Whereas my BCT15 shows the PL in search mode OR entered in correctly regardless. I think its just a thing with the HP series scanners.

mouellette

Premium Subscriber
So I changed the CTCSS/DCS to search mode and pl tones now show up on display. So does that mean when I monitor any given channel I will only hear transmissions with only the pl that shows on display, and not other transmissions with different pl's, or will I hear all pl's that may be on that frequency? What if there is 2 different depts. on the same frequency, but I only want to listen to one of them, can I manually put in a pl, and hear only one and not the other??

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
So I changed the CTCSS/DCS to search mode and pl tones now show up on display. So does that mean when I monitor any given channel I will only hear transmissions with only the pl that shows on display, and not other transmissions with different pl's, or will I hear all pl's that may be on that frequency? What if there is 2 different depts. on the same frequency, but I only want to listen to one of them, can I manually put in a pl, and hear only one and not the other??
If you have no "PL tone, DCS code, or NAC" entered, you will hear everything on that frequency (as well as possibly an adjacent strong signal). Since you have nothing in that field, you would hear whatever tone/code/etc. is detected on the transmission, and that will flash in the display. If more than one agency uses the same frequency, you would hear any of them.

Your only option to restrict reception to the agency you want to hear (as well as ignore others) is to enter the specific information for that user. You will not see the tone/code/.. on the display since it matches what you have entered.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I believe that is what the above poster was saying. The HP1/2 will NOT show the tones if you enter them in correctly. They only show up when you have the channel on CTCSS/DCS Search mode.
You are correct. Neither the HP-1 or HP-2 show a tone/code/or NAC if there is one entered,
I could have told you that in my first post but I misunderstood I think. I leave some of mine on Search mode just to see the tones show up.
I do the same thing, where there is more than one user in range licensed on a frequency, and I am trying to confirm usage.
Whereas my BCT15 shows the PL in search mode OR entered in correctly regardless. I think its just a thing with the HP series scanners.
Yep. The 396XT, BR330T, 436HP & 536HP, etc, all DO show the programmed tone or code, but the HP-1/-2 series do not

To be honest, I don't recall if the HP's have ever showed the tone or code (if one was entered), but they do not do so at this time. I did take a peek at the past firmware revisions to see if that change specifically was mentioned (no longer showing tone, etc), but it was not.

Status
Not open for further replies.