Uniden HP 436 ? where to buy additional car 12 volt cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

ETR

Having my long awaited Uniden HP 436 scanner, which I do Love. My QUESTION: scanner does come with an AC / USB adapter which workers well on home AC plugs, however each and every time in want to use the scanner in my car I have to TRANSFER the scanner power cable to use it in the car by plugging it to a common Cig 12 Volt / USB connector. My QUESTION any TIPS in how to or where (radio shack ? or ?) to buy an other scanner cable to use solely in my car with my scanner? Thank you for viewing my post or being of help. God Bless. Ed in North Texas- Denton County

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
The cable that powers the 436 is, as davenlr pointed out, a generic USB A to mini-B cable. I have literally dozens in my possession. If you don't, you can get one just about anywhere from a 7-11 to Best Buy.

Jay911

Feed Provider
AC adapters can be had the same way. The 436 just needs 500mA which any USB port provides. At home and work, I plug it into a spare port on my USB hub (and choose 'serial port mode', even though I'm not communicating with the radio). In the truck, I use one of the ports on the dash, but then Ford Sync complains that it's not a supported USB device (the stereo tries to communicate with it), so I have taken to connecting it to one of those 2xUSB port cigarette lighter adapters you can get on the front counter of any convenience store for about 99¢.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I emailed Uniden about using my apple iphone ac puck. Don't want to fry my 436 using something that will over or under charge it. Same goes with vehicle charge. Adapters are not created equal. Just like cell phone adapters, generic adapters tend to charge to much and do damage to the cell phones batteries.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Thanks. I emailed Uniden about using my apple iphone ac puck. Don't want to fry my 436 using something that will over or under charge it. Same goes with vehicle charge. Adapters are not created equal. Just like cell phone adapters, generic adapters tend to charge to much and do damage to the cell phones batteries.

I don't charge my batteries in the radio. But in terms of running the radio (i.e. powering it while it's on, not charging it), I think you're OK with whatever you use. In a pinch I've used my phone (Galaxy S4)'s 2A adapter.

y84media

Just wondering when someone will modify a 536 and put an internal rechargeable battery in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.