HP-1: Uniden HP1 and P25 Simulcast help/info

Status
Not open for further replies.

smittyj77

Our county recently went to a P25 Simulcast system and I notice that when monitoring with my Uniden HP1 that it can be clear as a bell sometimes and at other times the conversation starts motorboating or going digital what ever you want to call it.

I think I have researched a little bit on here and may have found my answer for why it is doing this http://forums.radioreference.com/un...n-p25-simlucast-possible-solution-ponder.html I just want to make sure that this is in fact the reason and there isn't something I can change on my end.

The system that I am monitoring is listed here Leeds and Grenville County, Ontario (ON) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference its the United Counties P25 stuff.

Also would I be better off selling my HP1 and getting a BCD536HP ? To monitor this system? Its frustrating listening to the HP1 and then it gets into the motorboating.

Alliance01TX

Premium Subscriber
Howdy

I also have the HP-1 and have like issues on P25 as well.

The experts say it is due to the Radio design (including the new models) that are not properly decoding the P25 data.

That said (and correct) what I have tried with some marginal sucess is working on other parts of the things we do have some control on. Using the Arc-Patrol software I made a few changes and most showed no real improvement.

I did change the Mode type from NFM to FM and that seems to imrove my ability to better understand the audio. Also have tinkered with Open Sq and Atten controls - minor if any improvements.

Last I turned Off the Search capability and locked down a few channels and that appeared to help a small amount.

Next line of improvements are to test a Yagi as I am north of three Simo towers, thus the signals are arriving with typical time delay and this is adding to the known decode issues I suspect.

Each station and location is different and all is subjective - although some will agree and others disagree with and point out something more interesting perhaps.

Still get garble about 10- 20% on the HP-1 on P25 - all else works fine and a good unit overall.

On the new models I will be hopefully looking at a side-by-side test in the next couple weeks to see if any real P25 improvements are appearent (not expecting any) and also seeing if the Whistler scanner ever happens or is just a re-badge....

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.