Uniden HR2600

Status
Not open for further replies.

obrien135

Hello,

I purchased a Uniden HR2600 about two years ago and haven't been able to make but one shaky contact as of yet. I've had the radio thoroughly checked out by a professional twice and as I witnessed it works fine when he tested it. I am wondering if I need more power (it's a 25W output) or if my Ham etiquette is wrong. I think other hams might be able to hear me but it's hard to tell if they are responding. Can anybody clear this up?

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
The 10 meter band is dependent on sunspots and other propagation enhancers for long range contacts. 10 meters has been active especially during the past DX contest. The rest of the time you will find it pretty quiet and mostly local contacts. In my area we have a 10 meter roundtable that follows one of the weekly 2-meter nets and we encourage Technicians to check in and test their antennas and equipment. The rest of the time however it is very quiet. Get on one of the local nets and see if anyone else has 10 meter gear. Maybe you can stir up some activity.
BB

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I've had good luck with my 2600.. Just get out and start calling CQ.. I call on the way to work in the evenings and if the band is open, usually catch a couple new ones.

Make sure your antenna is tuned, and go dig em out..

You can't catch any fish, if your bait isn't in the water..

kj3n

Hello,

I purchased a Uniden HR2600 about two years ago and haven't been able to make but one shaky contact as of yet. I've had the radio thoroughly checked out by a professional twice and as I witnessed it works fine when he tested it. I am wondering if I need more power (it's a 25W output) or if my Ham etiquette is wrong. I think other hams might be able to hear me but it's hard to tell if they are responding. Can anybody clear this up?

I see no mention of an antenna. 75% of the station is the antenna. What are you using?

Forgot to add: 10m is primarily a daytime band. Don't expect much after sundown, unless the SFI is pretty high.

Last edited:

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
What particular frequency or frequencies have you been putting your call sign out on? Some that make use of the 10 m band may be able to tell you what frequencies are more active, ie: calling frequency. What mode have you been using [not familiar with that transceiver so not sure what modes it has]? Have heard activity on the FM/repeater portion this past weekend. More information might help people help you out. As you stated your etiquette might be wrong, but not sure what you mean by this.

TheSpaceMan

The HR2600 is similar to the Radio Shack HTX 100. I have owned an HTX 100 for years, and made contacts all over the world with it! I have used a Solarcon A99 antenna as well as a 10 meter dipole with it, with very good results.

obrien135

I have it mounted on the roof of my corolla while I am parked with a mag mount. I have tried the whole band but mainly between 28.5 MHz and 29.6MHz. I haven't used fm very much. Mainly upper sideband.

kj3n

I have it mounted on the roof of my corolla while I am parked with a mag mount. I have tried the whole band but mainly between 28.5 MHz and 29.6MHz. I haven't used fm very much. Mainly upper sideband.

Well, I hope (if you're in the U.S.) you're a General class or better. Technician in the U.S. is limited to 28.3 to 28.5, SSB mode only and CW/Data from 28 to 28.3. You'll find AM around 29.0, and FM from about 29.5 to 29.7. I have not much of a clue what the band limits are for outside the U.S.

In any case, it's been my experience that 28.3 to 28.5 is the most active part of 10m for SSB. When things get a little crowded, then you tend to find activity above 28.5.

10m has been open for what seems like weeks (if not months) at this point, so there's got to be something else going on.

blue5011

I am an extra. I will keep trying.

28.300 to 28.500 SSB is where you will get contacts. The next thing to do would be to use a dipole instead of a (mag-mounted) 1/4 w whip. Or if you must be "mobile", drill some holes and bolt the antenna on. I used a 10M hamstick on my pickup. I have owned both a HTX-100 and HR2600, but at my home station I have a 3 element beam (up 35 ft).

Try this link to DX Maps, it will give near "real-time" contacts, so you can see where the band openings are:

QSO/SWL real time maps - NA - 28

See if you can find a "local" ham to make a ten meter contact with, then you will know for sure everything is working.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
A quarter wave on a mag mount? Is it a full size quarter wave, or a loaded antenna? You'd do well to lose the mag mount and use a real antenna mount, you know... where you drill holes in the car. I've always had excellent results using a ball mount and a full size whip. "Excellent", as in working Japan and South America from the car during the solar minimum.

The radio is better than half decent, and 25 watts is plenty when the band is opened up. Like the other guys said, center your listening on 28.400, and you SHOULD hear activity. The band is quite active these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.