• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Uniden Introduces 3 new CB Radios -- Radical new designs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Showing my ignorance - I've seen two references that indicate drift on SSB CBs. Is that a problem now? The stuff I worked on back in the 70's was pretty solid unless the clarifier mod wasn't done right.. The specs was something like +- 1PPM and the PLLs were locked to a crystal.. Drift? I could tell ya about a Siltronix 1011B that..........
The CB gear from the 70s was some of the best made. I'm not just saying that. I have a few classic 70s rigs that I use every day and get excellent reports on them.

A lot of the new SSB CBs are notorious for drifting. From what I hear, Galaxy radios are the worst for it but a lot of the new SSB rigs have that issue. Usually there are mods or tuning that can be done to overcome it, but that's kind of a pain to do right out of the box.

Who needs memory channels when there's only 40 channels?????
It might be for use with the scan feature? I know on my Cobra 29 LX LE it has memory channels, but you use them with the scan function. That's kind of handy when you have a few local channels that people use. If it's not for use with that, then I have no idea...

D

DaveNF2G

I have heard about people swallowing their microphones in the past. Now it seems as if there will be a risk of swallowing the entire transceiver. :D

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I love the idea that SSB is still around. It's the only way I'd get on CB and it was fun (12 Watts PEP).

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
There's actually another model called the Bearcat 980. It looks just like the 880 but it has sideband as well. I guess Uniden has decided to come out with an SSB rig again. Hopefully it will be stable.

Yep, hopefully it will be stable as it would make a nice replacement for my Browning Baron mobile. (Which, unfortunately, sees more `base' use these days because I just don't want to always worry about some creep breaking into my vehicle and stealing it. The last time I checked prices for *good quality* used ones it was going to cost me almost *double* what I paid for it back in 1977! )

I *have* had a couple other SSB mobiles over the years but the Browning always had end up kicking their butts and I've let them go to someone else who wants to fiddle fart around with them. BTW, I agree with you about the Galaxy SSB units!

It sure would be nice to not be stuck all the time with `Ancient Mary' mode mobile! {VB GRIN!} Even though it wouldn't quite the same as the Browning if Uniden managed to get it right I'd gladly put up with all the other `geegaws' it comes with. (Heck! If they could get rid of that danged mike cord the rest of the geegaws could possibly be overlooked. Add in a remote head along with getting rid of the mike cord and the rest of the geegaws could definitely be overlooked! Probably would still come in, $$-wise, less than what I paid for the Browning and would be a lot easier to replace if necessary, too.)

Arizona_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
Who needs memory channels when there's only 40 channels?????

People who want to scan with their CB and NOT hear the absolute IDIOTS running thousands of watts on channel 6 & 11 who will break all but full squelch at many locations in the US during the daytime. I.E., you can put in the 10 or so frequencies that you actually care about, and scan them without hearing the idiots on the 2-3 channels that they tend to linger on.

I really like that last CB with the sideband. Very nice, and it might even make me replace my Cobra 29 LX because of the sideband feature.

jonny290

People who want to scan with their CB and NOT hear the absolute IDIOTS running thousands of watts on channel 6 & 11 who will break all but full squelch at many locations in the US during the daytime. I.E., you can put in the 10 or so frequencies that you actually care about, and scan them without hearing the idiots on the 2-3 channels that they tend to linger on.

I really like that last CB with the sideband. Very nice, and it might even make me replace my Cobra 29 LX because of the sideband feature.

I just realized, I would really enjoy channel lockout as a feature. Far more than memories.

It's not the 8 channels you really want to monitor, it's the one you really hate (6)

Arizona_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
I just realized, I would really enjoy channel lockout as a feature. Far more than memories.

It's not the 8 channels you really want to monitor, it's the one you really hate (6)

Nail hit squarely on the head!

You said what I have been realizing, which is that LOCKOUT is the feature that is really needed, not memories.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I hope the basic receiver performance of the 980 is better than almost all of the other CB's I've tried at home over the years. I live really close to a major highway and almost as close to another, and the truckers totally destroy anything short of a ham rig. Their roger beeps, echoes and robot voices can be heard clearly on some of channels on the worst radios (the old DAK radio) and on about half of the better ones. Many simply went almost deaf from overloading. I really don't want to talk to truckers all that much.

Railham_CJ

Premium Subscriber
The PRO505XL introduces a low-cost CB incorporating a PA function.

PRO505XL.jpg

The PRO505XL is small, easy to install, and has a big LCD with great viewability.

The Bearcat 680 introduces a radical new design to the core CB lineup. Incorporating all the great features familiar to users of the PC68XL, it includes a large display that clearly shows the operating channel, S/RF levels, and the status of all options.
Bearcat_680.jpg

The Bearcat 680 incorporates PA, Mic Gain, LO/DX RF Level, Automatic Noise Limiter and Noise Blanker, and rapid channel 9/19 hot key. It will also be compatible with a Wireless Microphone (available Summer 2012).

The biggest change to CBs since 1985, the Bearcat 880 takes a radical new approach to a mature product category.
Bearcat_880.jpg

The Bearcat 880 incorporates a 7-color backlit display, integrated SWR meter, frequency display, talkback, adjustable Mic Gain and RF Gain, Automatic Noise Limiter, Noise Blanker, PA function, Weather with Alert, Day/Night backlight settings so you can instantly switch to your desired backlight color and brightness, radio diagnostics, memory channels with memory channel scan, and compatibility with a wireless microphone (expected to be available Summer 2012). It includes a noise-canceling microphone.

PRO505XL and Bearcat 680 are shipping now. Bearcat 880 will begin shipping in the next few months.
Man i may have to dump my Cobra 29 for the Uniden 880 LOL .

CB is still very active around here with a lot of people using it like you would 2 meters. Your typical ragchewing and the occasional "round table" discussions.

I've been in the market for a SSB rig for a while. I may hold off and see how this 980 SSB turns out.

jonny290

I think the 880/980's frequency display is a little ricey, a little "outlaw", I would honestly expect a higher standard from Uniden.

I know everybody in here is a secret freebander running amps and this is a feature, nobody needs to jump to defend. Just don't think a frequency readout is appropriate for a nominally channelized service.

Arizona_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
I think the 880/980's frequency display is a little ricey, a little "outlaw", I would honestly expect a higher standard from Uniden.

I know everybody in here is a secret freebander running amps and this is a feature, nobody needs to jump to defend. Just don't think a frequency readout is appropriate for a nominally channelized service.

The frequency display is there for the "gadget factor" and you are probably correct on your assertion. Also, why is it that the nicer CBs always have to have some amount of Chrome on them? Plain black works just fine doesn't it? I refuse to put some shiny radio in my 2011 silverado, ain't happening.

LiberaFan08

Sweet, the icing on the cake would be a deluxe base station with SSB. Why don't they make CB's with tone and digital squelch capability ???

LiberaFan08

CB isn't dead ?

I haven't used or owned a CB radio since 1986. When I got rid of my last CB I thought it was mostly dead and that the public had given it back to the truckers. Twenty five years later, it appears as if ham radio is what's really dying. Hmmm, I'm actually thinking about buying a CB again.

twjr80

Feed Provider

I truly don't understand why cb radios need a frequency display or freq. counter. Like said before, I guess it's just a modern gimmick to get more sales.

But you're assuming too much. I use a cb and do not "free band" or use any type of amplification.

Status
Not open for further replies.