• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Uniden Introduces 3 new CB Radios -- Radical new designs

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2xq

Mentor
I like the design and would think about picking up a unit, but the dimension specs are a bummer for a car/SUV. Most units in this thread seem to be 12" or 13" wide! Anything smaller, or with a remote kit?
--
ex-2Q3761 issued 07-18-61 with specified "areas of operation", ex-KOG2427 issued 06-06-66, when the FCC used to care about Class D :)

scanningisfun

Sweet, the icing on the cake would be a deluxe base station with SSB. Why don't they make CB's with tone and digital squelch capability ???

Coded squelch is used with FM. Usually if you only wanted to hear a group of people on CB, you would just change the channel as it would be very rare if all of the channels were used at one time in one area.

Jacob

donny612

Remote heads???

That wireless mic photo is a preliminary design concept, and not really even close to what the final design will look like (other than generally being a microphone-shaped thing). The color display image also does not accurately reflect the colors on the display. I think these came from a presentation we were showing to some customers (who would have been told that images are not all final, yet).

No Bluetooth.

More models to come! (I'll let you know about them after FCC is granted.)

Any chance for a cb with a remote head that is easy to mount in today's vehicles???

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
Why don't they make CB's with tone and digital squelch capability ???

They tried that *YEARS* ago and it didn't sell very well. I remember playing with both the Johnson and Courier systems.

The Johnson system plugged in via an octal plug and you could choose between a couple different `tones' along with a couple different `alert' functions like honking the vehicle horn, flashing the vehicle's lights, or sounding a beeper inside the vehicle.

The Courier system was a tad bit fancier in that you ordered it as an `upgrade accessory' to the radio and it came built in. It also used the same `reeds' that the commercial radios used so one had a much larger selection of what `tones' one could use. It did also have an `alert' function that one could wire into either the horn or the lights.

Unfortunately, both systems required extra expenses on top of the initial cost of the radio and in the installation so, except for a very few individuals and business, never really sold all that well. In the all the years I worked for the one local radio shop we only sold about 2 - 3 systems of either brand. The main reason I got to `play' with either one was that it was the way we could demo them. IE: The owner and I each had base units, along with the shop, and mobile units in our own `personal' vehicles. (He had a Johnson system and I had the Courier system. And, yes, even though they both used basically the same `reeds' they weren't compatible with each other. [Sound familiar?])

I can remember taking a prospective customer out for a `test drive', showing off the various `features', and then trying to explain how they would work for them on the drive back to the shop where we would then have to tell them how much more it was going to add to the `base' price of the radio. Usually they would just end up buying the `basic' units without the `added extras' rather than the ones that either had the ability to have them added *in* or *to* the unit. (BTW, you have to also remember that these both were tube units and adding the `tone squelch' option meant a much bigger unit or more pieces to have to deal with.)

Status
Not open for further replies.