Uniden Lemmons can Cost You Pleanty

Status
Not open for further replies.

wvetsch

Anyone considering the purchase of a high end Uniden scanner which requires programming from an outside source such as radioeference should heed this warning: You could find yourself with a useless lemmon with no recourse even though your radio is within warranty. Here is the scam Uniden uses: They will claim that since they do not sell the programming software they are not responsible if your radio does not work because it is a "programming error". You will lose your money and be stuck with a useless "brick".

The Uniden BCD996T - a $500 "brick" - will not receive all of the variations of P25 such as, for example, the variation known as CQBSK used in some places (including my place).

I learned this the hard way by talking to the engineers at GRE America who expalined that the Uniden radio was a poor design and would never work on my P25 system. They offered, graciously, if I wanted to purchase their brand, to program it for free and guarantee that, if it did not work perfectly when hooked up for the first time, they would take it back and give a full refund - no questions asked. It worked perfectly.

Take some advice, forget Uniden and their scams: Buy from GRE America.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Another inept user blames the product. I'll buy that scanner for $50.00 plus shipping if you are so unhappy with it. Do you have Paypal? Oh, and you spelled Lemon incorrectly.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I have a PSR-500 and a 396XT. Programming is difficult but not impossible, and no amount of programming I can do will cause either scanner to be "bricked". You just have to do some research to make sure it'll work on your system, and spend some time to put together the programming the way you want it.

I too will take that scanner off your hands if you hate it so much.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
wvetsch,
Welcome to Radioreference.com.
The fact that you actually expected a GRE rep to give you an unbiased view says that you seem to be very gullible. Of course they are gonna tell you that the "Uniden radio is of poor design". Which of course is not true.
Of course they are gonna push their brand of radios over Uniden.
That says that they are sales people and that you fell right into their sales pitch. But hey, if the GRE radio works for you then rock on.
However, the rest of your post is nothing but a amateur smear job.
No "scam" by either GRE or Uniden.
BTW: you might want to learn how to program your radio yourself instead of relying on others. If you had done that in the first place your Uniden radio might have worked for you.
Amazing that the majority here have Uniden radios that work fine (even great!) along with GRE radios that work good too. I guess it is all part of the mass conspiracy by Uniden, right? They pay all of us off to say good stuff about their radios, is that it?
*sigh* Enjoy your GRE. The rest of us will enjoy both our GRE & Uniden Radios.
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

Anyone considering the purchase of a high end Uniden scanner which requires programming from an outside source such as radioeference should heed this warning: You could find yourself with a useless lemmon with no recourse even though your radio is within warranty. Here is the scam Uniden uses: They will claim that since they do not sell the programming software they are not responsible if your radio does not work because it is a "programming error". You will lose your money and be stuck with a useless "brick".

The Uniden BCD996T - a $500 "brick" - will not receive all of the variations of P25 such as, for example, the variation known as CQBSK used in some places (including my place).

I learned this the hard way by talking to the engineers at GRE America who expalined that the Uniden radio was a poor design and would never work on my P25 system. They offered, graciously, if I wanted to purchase their brand, to program it for free and guarantee that, if it did not work perfectly when hooked up for the first time, they would take it back and give a full refund - no questions asked. It worked perfectly.

Take some advice, forget Uniden and their scams: Buy from GRE America.

scannersnstuff

thank's for reminding me marshall. oh paul you owe me $20.00 for plugging uniden twice this week. i need it for my spelin' leessoon.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I have both Unidens and GRE radios, both work exceptionally well, but I have a hard time believing the things said to you by the GRE rep. The fact is, based on the marketing email they sent out just before CES (and what they unveilled at CES), that GRE feels that we are all too stupid to program their radios, and since they have such a view, I will never buy one of their products again.

scannersnstuff

while i'm a buy whatever scanner look's like it will fill my need's man, are we seriously going to take the content's of anything an obvious troll with 1 post say's seriously ?. build up some credibility before we listen to you !.

Haley

I love my bricks, they work fine. Pretty sure might be another case of the "user" blaming the radio. By the way, try spell check next time. The words are plenty and lemon. You might have made a little more headway (not much though) with your post. Welcome to the forums , Mike

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber

You mean CQPSK? I doubt your GRE engineer would confuse those.

And yes, the 996T can receive CQPSK.

Citywide74

Premium Subscriber
I own a uniden 250bc, a 396t & 396 xt, and a 996t. I use arc to program my scanners along with radio reference and I will tell you I have never had a problem with my scanners that did not turn out to be something on my end, such as my own errors or a change in the system that was not yet in the RR database. Furthermore, I have recently started a brick collection of my own and would like to add yours to my collection. Let me know if I can take it off your hands as most people have no use for bricks.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I am amazed at how many people would shell out ~$500 dollars on a scanner and then realize that it was way too hard to program, then blame the manufacturer. If you took the time to read the online resources that are in front of you, or ask a question about how to program the radio, I'm sure the operation would become a learning experience that would help you to enjoy the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.