Uniden Lemmons can Cost You Pleanty

Status
Not open for further replies.

nova1010

I am amazed at how many people would shell out ~$500 dollars on a scanner and then realize that it was way too hard to program, then blame the manufacturer. If you took the time to read the online resources that are in front of you, or ask a question about how to program the radio, I'm sure the operation would become a learning experience that would help you to enjoy the radio.

I agree with you there I remember when digital first came out,I was out of scanning for a good 3 years before that happened.

I was used to the older analog scanners,so trying to program a digital scanner manually or with software was trial and error for me untill I eventually got it.

Im the type of person that likes to figure out a radio before reading the manual and not one hair was pulled out :lol:

Astrak

So you downloaded from the RR database, the scanner didn't work and all of a sudden it's Uniden's fault? When I purchased my first digital scanner(RS 106) it took me nearly 4 hours to figure out how to program the thing, I didn't give up though and blame the scanner BECAUSE I JUST PAID $500.00+ FOR IT. If you're not trolling give it some time and learn how to do program it, ask questions don't rant.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
says the original poster with 1 post in one year...

GRE doesnt decode any type of P25 that Uniden doesnt so not even sure what the poster is talking about.

oh and GRE told you the Unidens (the compitition) suck?.. did you ever think that was a bias opinion? even jut a bit bias?

DonS

oh and GRE told you the Unidens (the compitition) suck?.. did you ever think that was a bias opinion? even jut a bit bias?

The below is based solely on the OP's text, and not on the above quoted reply (reply quoted only for context)...

I find it highly unlikely that "the engineers at GRE America" would say such a thing at all. They might say "we believe we have a superior product", or something similar, but, knowing them personally and having communicated with them about this in the last couple of days, it's doubtful that "the engineers at GRE America ... expalined that the Uniden radio was a poor design".

These "brand X vs. brand Y" threads are stupid. Each brand does things the other does not. Each brand has functionality that is "better than" (often a very subjective criteria) the other brand's implementation. For some people, brand X works better; for others, brand Y is better. Unless money isn't a problem and you can afford to have both brands... do your research, compare features/functionality, and buy the brand that seems to be better suited to your needs.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
i agree i doubt GRE would say that a competitor "sucks" (nor would Uniden)

as well as the engineers said the GRE does some APCO systems that the Uniden does not do

just showing how unlikely/false his comments probably are,

The below is based solely on the OP's text, and not on the above quoted reply (reply quoted only for context)...

I find it highly unlikely that "the engineers at GRE America" would say such a thing at all. They might say "we believe we have a superior product", or something similar, but, knowing them personally and having communicated with them about this in the last couple of days, it's doubtful that "the engineers at GRE America ... expalined that the Uniden radio was a poor design".

These "brand X vs. brand Y" threads are stupid. Each brand does things the other does not. Each brand has functionality that is "better than" (often a very subjective criteria) the other brand's implementation. For some people, brand X works better; for others, brand Y is better. Unless money isn't a problem and you can afford to have both brands... do your research, compare features/functionality, and buy the brand that seems to be better suited to your needs.

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber

I agree, Don. I am friends with several of the people at GRE, some going back nearly 20 years. I've never known them to say a bad thing about a Uniden product...it would be extremely out of character.

DonS

I agree, Don. I am friends with several of the people at GRE, some going back nearly 20 years. I've never known them to say a bad thing about a Uniden product...it would be extremely out of character.

And I believe it goes both ways... I heard (second-hand) that you mentioned three of us by name at CES (GRE booth) - I don't think I've met you personally, but I know you've had professional dealings with "the other two" (i.e. in a "past employment life").

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Sorry I missed you at their booth. I only had 3 hours to almost literally run through the show Saturday morning...and ended up spending 30 minutes chatting with the GRE team (about non scanner stuff...we have a lot of common friends and interests).

al95

I agree with DonS and Upman that each radio has it cons, and pros. Please stop posting which scanner is better threads example only PSR500 vs BCD396XT. RR members even myself are bios to which scanner works better. It might work better for me to what I listen to and not to the other RR member.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
LOL, these threads slay me every time.

<rodney> Can't we all just get along? </rodney>

I feel the OP's pain. No really.... I recently "bricked" my 796 the other day by wiping out all the programming I had done with a simple "oops" of a mouseclick in ProScan (again, not the fault of the software - Bob did an excellent job writing it) I managed to get Chandler back in it so I could continue to host my feed, but now I face the unpleasant task of rebuilding EVERYTHING (because of course I didn't SAVE any of it, LOL...) Oh well - at least the data is a simple RR download or two away. I remember the days of 1000 channel scanners with NO computer interface, and spending DAYS programming them, with dog-eared Police Call book in hand. Talk about wanting to chuck a radio out the window.... :D

-AZ

SCPD

QRT
Mutual Respect...

As one who knows some folks on the GRE team, I also have never heard them knock a Uniden product like that. With that said I think it is nice that they offered to help out and gave good customer service. I see UPMAN read the thread and he also knows there is mutual respect. Craig

i agree i doubt GRE would say that a competitor "sucks" (nor would Uniden)

as well as the engineers said the GRE does some APCO systems that the Uniden does not do

just showing how unlikely/false his comments probably are,

Last edited:

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Oh well - at least the data is a simple RR download or two away. I remember the days of 1000 channel scanners with NO computer interface, and spending DAYS programming them, with dog-eared Police Call book in hand. Talk about wanting to chuck a radio out the window.... :D

-AZ

:lol::lol: Boy weren't those the salad days :roll::lol::lol:

garys

Premium Subscriber
When I got my 780XLT it took me 10 hours over three days to program it by hand. The scanner was brand new there was no software for it. In fact, I don't think that the protocol was even released. I had a sore wrist for a week.

We've come a long way in less than ten years.

Uniden or GRE, either one is great to use. Take your pick of software or if you're really brave program by hand. You can drive from one of the country to the other and listen all the way just be reprogramming your scanner.

LOL, these threads slay me every time.

<rodney> Can't we all just get along? </rodney>

I feel the OP's pain. No really.... I recently "bricked" my 796 the other day by wiping out all the programming I had done with a simple "oops" of a mouseclick in ProScan (again, not the fault of the software - Bob did an excellent job writing it) I managed to get Chandler back in it so I could continue to host my feed, but now I face the unpleasant task of rebuilding EVERYTHING (because of course I didn't SAVE any of it, LOL...) Oh well - at least the data is a simple RR download or two away. I remember the days of 1000 channel scanners with NO computer interface, and spending DAYS programming them, with dog-eared Police Call book in hand. Talk about wanting to chuck a radio out the window.... :D

-AZ

linuxwrangler

I remember the days of 1000 channel scanners with NO computer interface, and spending DAYS programming them

1,000 hand-programmable channels? Aye, ye were lucky. WE only had CRYSTALS that we ground ourselves and we where HAPPY to have that!

Seriously, my early ham sets were crystal-controlled and I had a large supply of military-surplus crystals that would fit the set. You could select a crystal at somewhat lower frequency than your target, remove the four screws, pull back the metal plate, remove the crystal and grind it a tad at a time on a whetstone. A bit of trial and error would get you a free crystal for your target ham-band frequency. If I overshot or broke the crystal I'd grab another from the box and start over.

As to the OP, I got the scanner, kicked back in the easy-chair with a beer, and had most of the local systems programmed in by hand in an hour or two. I've upgraded the firmware several times not on Windows but through the Wine emulator under Linux. I've hacked together a couple of command-line scripts to backup or program the scanner and tested/debugged them on the scanner. I've used the .09 version of the open-source 396T software for Linux. And in spite of all this testing, debugging and use of all sorts of non-blessed software I have never managed to brick the scanner. I guess I just don't have that kind of talent.

Delta

Brick?

Forgive me for being totally stupid. I'm still learning. XD If you brick the device. Can you reset it somehow? I mean I've broke a couple ipods. Which sounds similar. But you can just hard boot, they come back. So you mean you can damage the scanner to the point of no return? =O

a29zuk

1,000 hand-programmable channels? Aye, ye were lucky. WE only had CRYSTALS that we ground ourselves and we where HAPPY to have that!

Seriously, my early ham sets were crystal-controlled and I had a large supply of military-surplus crystals that would fit the set. You could select a crystal at somewhat lower frequency than your target, remove the four screws, pull back the metal plate, remove the crystal and grind it a tad at a time on a whetstone. A bit of trial and error would get you a free crystal for your target ham-band frequency. If I overshot or broke the crystal I'd grab another from the box and start over.

And then, there were the four and eight channel crystal scanners. At five bucks a pop for each crystal.......and then we were set free by the Bearcat 101 programmable scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.