Uniden makes changes to HP-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Got an FCC notice minutes ago about some changes to uniden HP-2 model.
FCC ID Application Processed For Uniden America Corporation for Equipment Modification (changes to an existing FCC ID).
FCC ID AMWUB363
Equipment: HomePatrol Scanning Receiver

Last edited:

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if it is a supply issue. Maybe Uniden couldn't source the current chips going forward.

That. To wit. "Obsolete"

How all about that for those wondering if Uniden was giving up the ghost? Looks like they are moving forward (unless this is a real good hoax).

All Uniden is doing is replacing a couple components of the receiver, probably because the parts they were using before are obsolete or because the new part(s) is/are cheaper.

So that DOES indicate that Uniden plans to continue to manufacture the HP-2, and by inference, other scanners as well.

What this DOES NOT indicate is that this wil be the mythical "SDS-500", nor does it suggest that the 'new' HP-2 will magically work on simulcast.

They are swapping the PLL and up/down converters, not redesigning the entire receiver circuit.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
This sounds familiar....the SDS100 didn't exist either.

That. To wit. "Obsolete"

All Uniden is doing is replacing a couple components of the receiver, probably because the parts they were using before are obsolete or because the new part(s) is/are cheaper.

So that DOES indicate that Uniden plans to continue to manufacture the HP-2, and by inference, other scanners as well.

What this DOES NOT indicate is that this wil be the mythical "SDS-500", nor does it suggest that the 'new' HP-2 will magically work on simulcast.

They are swapping the PLL and up/down converters, not redesigning the entire receiver circuit.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Perhaps the fabled Home Patrol 500?
This sounds familiar....the SDS100 didn't exist either.
What are you going on about? Did you even look at what I posted in the second post of the thread? It's a minor change to two chips due to the originals being NLA. If it were anything beyond functionally equivalent chips being replaced, they would have to do a lot more than simply file a Class II Permissive Change.

n5ims

Is that the new scanner that allows you to listen to all the encrypted channels? :oops:

I thought it was the new scanner that received everything on every system in every location, recorded the transmissions and allowed the user to never miss anything anywhere. It not only allows encrypted channels, but does all modes, AM, FM, TV, HDTV, analog, digital, encrypted, P-25 P1, P-25 P2, DMR, NXDN, ProVoice, and anything else you can think of. With the automatic refresh that's built in, when a system makes a change it automagically appears on your radio and when a new digital mode is created it receives it as well. Never any simulcast distortion, static, or other problems, it just works 100% on 100% of the signals from DC to daylight. Oh, and it only costs $24.95 and you get a second free (just pay a small handling fee).

Ubbe

The new IC's seems to have higher performance with 7dB noise figure compared to 10dB and a IP3 input of -6dBm compared to the old -14dBm. It could make it more sensitive but absolutly better strong signal handling that hasn't been too impressive in the old design.

The new user manual have some new wordings in the Important Information section about FCC and guarantee when you modify the scanner but are almost the same info but written differently. Perhaps the legal department had something to do with that.

/Ubbe

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I thought it was the new scanner that received everything on every system in every location, recorded the transmissions and allowed the user to never miss anything anywhere. It not only allows encrypted channels, but does all modes, AM, FM, TV, HDTV, analog, digital, encrypted, P-25 P1, P-25 P2, DMR, NXDN, ProVoice, and anything else you can think of. With the automatic refresh that's built in, when a system makes a change it automagically appears on your radio and when a new digital mode is created it receives it as well. Never any simulcast distortion, static, or other problems, it just works 100% on 100% of the signals from DC to daylight. Oh, and it only costs $24.95 and you get a second free (just pay a small handling fee).
You didn't mention the required waffle maker!

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
What are you going on about? Did you even look at what I posted in the second post of the thread? It's a minor change to two chips due to the originals being NLA. If it were anything beyond functionally equivalent chips being replaced, they would have to do a lot more than simply file a Class II Permissive Change.
I'm going on about a few things that you don't want to seem to see.

1. The external images in the filing are of a HP-1. The HP-2 came out of a Class II Permissive change filing on the HP-1-they share the same FCC ID.
2. There is information not readily available in the filing indicated by the answer to the Long Term Confidentiality question:
"Does this application include a request for confidentiality for any portion(s) of the data contained in this application pursuant to 47 CFR § 0.459 of the Commission Rules?: Yes"
3. Whistler filed a Class II Permissive Change when they modified the 1080/1095 to the 1088/1098 and again when they introduced the TRX1/TRX2. The TRX1/2 were supposedly all new models, but apparently not so much as to require a completely new filing.

Yes, it looks like a component upgrade, but my observations have also shown that new models get introduced as the result of permissive change tests. Without knowing what proprietary data is contained in the filing, a person cannot make a definitive statement about what this actually means. My statement was "perhaps", not a definite. The statement
is a definite

I included the link because we all saw how wrong all of the people that said the SDS100 was vaporware were. It was a caution to not speak in absolutes when you don't know facts.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin

spacellamaman

Is that the new scanner that allows you to listen to all the encrypted channels? :oops:

OOOOWEE, i'll take one!

changed my mind, i'll get this one instead. or two. though the handling fee seems excessive.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
You're not looking at the right set of filings. You need to be on the 2 (2020-08-26) page, where you will clearly see that the external photos are of the HP-II.

Doesn't change the fact that the HP-1 and the HP-2 have the same FCC ID. The HP-2 was the result of a Class II permissive filing, not a new filing. Which could, and I emphasize could, be the foreworkings of an entirely new scanner using the proposed component changes and any proprietary changes that are protected in the filing.

Am I hopeful? Yes. Am I saying there's a new radio coming? No, but I'm also not saying there isn't one coming, as others are declaring as fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.