Uniden nascar 100-channel compact scanner any good for a beginer in the hrm ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stachieo

hey guys im new to all of this scanner stuff an i seen that the source has this scanner onsale this week. an with me not knowing anything about this stuff im wondering if this is a good deal/good scanner? alittle back ground, i live in dartmouth an im intrested in picking up the HRP/FIRE/EMS an the airport so is it posible to pick up the signals with this scanner.

stachieo

Ok thanks. So is There any place in metro you can get one at a good price? I know there's a guy in the valley that sells scanners, but I really don't want to shell out that much if I don't have to.

ObiHann

Ok thanks. So is There any place in metro you can get one at a good price? I know there's a guy in the valley that sells scanners, but I really don't want to shell out that much if I don't have to.

If your talking about the guy that sells them for $550ish, thats the best you will get really. Every now and them I hear of people getting super lucky on kijiji from people just wanting to get rid of them, but that is pretty rare. The fact of the matter is digital scanners are not cheap. There is pretty much 3 companies that make them, and due to some fun legal things, only 2 of those companies operate in Canada (radio shack is forbidden for a few more years due to there deal with the source). That analog scanner will get you basically only the airport. Next, if you want HRFD, EHS, city works, a few others, you can spend about $200-$250 for a trunked scanner, but that leaves out HRP.

Is it just me or now that the HRP feed died, there is a lot more people asking? haha

hfxChris

Database Admin
Not only that Obi, but Radio Shack doesn't manufacture scanners; theirs are manufactured by GRE.

A note to the original poster though; you might be able to score a cheaper BCD396T off ebay or something. But beware of scanners like the Pro-96; make sure whatever you're getting can do trunking in the 700 MHz band (the Pro-96 cannot), because there's a very good possibility the province will be switching to that in the next 1-2 years.

CharmedOne

If you're looking for a handheld vs mobile, there's a digital trunking scanner listed for sale under RR classifieds ...

PSR-500 - RadioReference Classifieds

I would consider buying it for myself but since I have no experience with programming, I'd need to get one that comes programmed for HRM. :p

ObiHann

If you're looking for a handheld vs mobile, there's a digital trunking scanner listed for sale under RR classifieds ...

PSR-500 - RadioReference Classifieds

I would consider buying it for myself but since I have no experience with programming, I'd need to get one that comes programmed for HRM. :p

you could alwayse get it and get someone else to program it. There are a few people around NS that sell / program scanners, and a bunch on this board and scanmaritimes that would gladly help you.

CharmedOne

I'm tempted, trust me! Perhaps if I knew for certain someone would come to my aid as soon as I received it, I'd be less hesitant.

Can you PM me the people who do programmig locally, if even for a fee?

As for ScanMaritimes, I've registered successfully but never received my validation email so I can't even post over there. :(

ObiHann

I'm tempted, trust me! Perhaps if I knew for certain someone would come to my aid as soon as I received it, I'd be less hesitant.

Can you PM me the people who do programmig locally, if even for a fee?

As for ScanMaritimes, I've registered successfully but never received my validation email so I can't even post over there. :(

I don't know anybody personally that does it. There is a guy here HFX_CHRIS I think, track him down he probably can help. Or just post a new topic asking for someone that might help. Someone will show up I'm sure. There is a guy that frequents on the scanmaritimes boards that sells scanners in the valley, he programs them too. I can ask him what his costs are for programming only, but you might have to go to him. Let me know if you want me to ask him.

CharmedOne

When you say the valley, are you referring to the guy in Bridgewater that sells scanners ... Littlemac?
Didn't realize he would offer programing with a product purchased elsewhere.
If you could ask him, that'd be great!

ObiHann

When you say the valley, are you referring to the guy in Bridgewater that sells scanners ... Littlemac?
Didn't realize he would offer programing with a product purchased elsewhere.
If you could ask him, that'd be great!

I know he programs scanners he sells, I'm sure for a fee he would program any scanner. I will send him a PM and find out for sure though. He frequents on scanmaritimes.

stachieo

i found a guy selling a used bc250D 1000 channel scanner for $400 bucks, so im wondering if this will do for what im looking for. he also said that its already programed for the hfx area.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
i found a guy selling a used bc250D 1000 channel scanner for $400 bucks, so im wondering if this will do for what im looking for. he also said that its already programed for the hfx area.
That's a scam at 400 bones. Pony up the extra and get a 396XT. The better digital decoding alone is worth it. It is also only half the size and runs on regular 'AA' batteries, not the stupid shrink-wrap pack in the 250. Also, no 700mhz in the 250.

It may work for now but you will be SOL if the new 700 system comes into play.

Can't stress enough how poor the digital decode is on the 250 compared to the XT's (and the T's for that matter)

Last edited:

ObiHann

That's a scam at 400 bones. Pony up the extra and get a 396XT. The better digital decoding alone is worth it. It is also only half the size and runs on regular 'AA' batteries, not the stupid shrink-wrap pack in the 250. Also, no 700mhz in the 250.

It may work for now but you will be SOL if the new 700 system comes into play.

Can't stress enough how poor the digital decode is on the 250 compared to the XT's (and the T's for that matter)

how is $400 a scam? it seems more like a rip off to me. Have you looked to see what they are worth used? I found a few on ebay and amazon sellers used for $350 and $325.

stachieo

so i guess im going to break down an get the PSR-500C from the guy in the valley. But i got one more question about all of this, under one of the options it has it as programed. does that mean to the stations that request (HRP/FIRE) or something else. an is it user friendly to new users that has no idea about any of it but is willing to learn.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
how is $400 a scam? it seems more like a rip off to me. Have you looked to see what they are worth used? I found a few on ebay and amazon sellers used for $350 and $325.
I saw the one on Ebay for 350 with a ton of extras with it. Still a high price. 400 for just a radio is an outright scam.

hfxChris

Database Admin
For an 8 year old scanner that doesn't do P25 or 700, at that price it's a scam. Or a rip off, whatever you want to call it.

There is a guy here HFX_CHRIS I think, track him down he probably can help.
Fraid I don't have any of the equipment to program a PSR-500 (ie programming cable), and I'm not at all familiar wtih its' interface for manual programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.