Uniden new BCD 436 HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wally46

Feed Provider
I have a PRO 106 as well as a 436. First, since Whistler took over the GRE company...they made the 106 for Radio Shack, they no longer carry them in their catalog. Therefore, if you want a 106, you will need to find a Radio Shack that still has one in stock, unless you are planning to buy a used one...which I would suggest never do.

The PRO 106 almost makes it certain you will need to buy the BUTEL software for programming. The software on the 106 can be very difficult to program manually. You will need to buy a cable from the shack.

Also realize that the 106 is great, but will not pick up the new TDMA phase I and II radio systems, which many states and county's are beginning to use. It is in place here in northern Illinois, and only the 436/536 will decode it.

Just some thoughts. And I don't even live in Kansas. :)

Yes, just get the 436 or 536. Don't buy something that's already been out 4 plus years

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I only have one idea..may be wrong tho. Press the MENU button on left side. Scroll down to the SET YOUR LOCATION option. Select that. Then scroll down to SET RANGE. See what number is in there.

First try setting it to 0.0 Then back out and see if that works. The 0.0 option worked great for me. If that does not work, increase the default range that was already in there. For example, if the default range was 25.0, set it up a little higher and try again.

When you update any thing in sentinel, go to the range option and set that where you want it.

If this does not work, I'm sure someone else here will know.

Greg

joeuser

The Wretched
I have a PRO 106 as well as a 436. First, since Whistler took over the GRE company...they made the 106 for Radio Shack, they no longer carry them in their catalog. Therefore, if you want a 106, you will need to find a Radio Shack that still has one in stock, unless you are planning to buy a used one...which I would suggest never do.

The PRO 106 almost makes it certain you will need to buy the BUTEL software for programming. The software on the 106 can be very difficult to program manually. You will need to buy a cable from the shack.

Also realize that the 106 is great, but will not pick up the new TDMA phase I and II radio systems, which many states and county's are beginning to use. It is in place here in northern Illinois, and only the 436/536 will decode it.

Just some thoughts. And I don't even live in Kansas. :)

Yes, just get 436 or 536. Don't buy something that's already been out 4 plus years

Yes, just get the 436 or 536. Don't buy something that's already been out 4 plus years

These are valid arguments & along the lines of my thinking but I'd like to see what arguments can be made by Shocker81. My plan is/was to get a 436 or 536 - however, I am concerned about the Siren App & what platforms it will be available on. I use & love my Windows Phone (Lumia 928 w/ Black update) & I know the history of companies ignoring the platform. This *could* have an impact on my decision.

Are there plans for KSICS to go Phase 2 / TDMA? Anyone know?

joeuser

The Wretched
I am looking for help in getting my Pro 106 to pick up the Wichita/Sedgwick County P-25 Digital transmissions. Mark at Radio Shack in Derby programmed my radio for this system and it works fine in certain areas of town but where I live near Park City it receives poorly or not at all. Your comment about the right settings and antenna may be my problem. Any suggestions on settings or antenna? Thanks.

Assuming the radio is set properly, I could suggest a few things. These may or may not apply to you but going with what information you provided...

The included rubber duckys are "ok" antennas you would do well to get an external antenna / outside antenna. The higher the better. I suggest RG-8/U shortest length possible to make the run with as little adapters as possible. If you can't do that, get a telescoping antenna or something better. Stay away from electronics - computers, TV's, etc. They will impede your listening with extraneous RF.

SCPD

QRT
DIGITAL SCANNERS

If any one is concidering buying a Digital Scanner, try bidding for one on Ebay. I just bought a 2nd one ( PRO 106 ) for $230.00 S&H included. Thanks for the time, jbxfire

Last edited:

joeuser

The Wretched
Well, I went ahead & got the Uniden BCD436HP. I deliberated carefully & thoughtfully. Where I'm a Windows Phone user & lover, I could pretty much rule out much advantage to the Wifi on the 536. Then again, I have an Android tablet but it's wifi only. I wouldn't be surprised if someone made an app knock-off for the WP though.

However, I got enough bases to begin with & my only handheld is *very* old... So...

I have a specialized 800-900 MHz antenna on my mast & found a TNC to SMA adapter for 6$. I'll use that for my 436 when it's parked here.

Anyone know how decent the included rubber ducky antenna for the BCD436HP is?

Rost23

Premium Subscriber
Hello can any one tell me if New UNIDEN Bearcat BCD-436HP Digital Handheld or BearCat BCD-536HP scanner can decode MPD ( DC Police ) runing encrepted and PGPD ( Prince George County Police MD ) ,and some one told me that with WIFI you can brodcast to your cell phone is it corect ?
Is this beter that GRE PSR 800
Thanks

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Neither radio can decode encrypted signals. As for the WIFI, you can stream the 536 to your cell phone, which can then be streamed to a WIFI speaker.

Sc80528

Premium Subscriber
BCD 436 HP

I have mine very easy to operate right out of the box. couple of downfalls you must buy the AC charger to charge at home and a plug for your power point that accepts a USB cable additionally you cannot charge and listen at the same time. If you plug it in you must choose to charge or not. All in all happy so far.

Kim
SC80528
Charleston SC

joeuser

The Wretched
Yeah the 436 is a fine radio. Battery issues aside. It just works great for me. Just plug it into a PC USB port & no adapter needed. Charging, its annoying. So I just picked up a charger with similar batteries & I no longer use the unit to charge. I hadn't planned on it anyway, other than too see it in action (excuse the pun) I always worry about built in charging & batteries exploding.

NYPDAUX

This is a great idea I did the same but unfortunately I found out by not using the radio to charge the batteries there's an internal battery that keeps the Date & time charged and if I do not charge the batteries inside the radio that battery also will get weak and then I would have to reset the time and date every time I turned on the unit is it just me or has this happened to you

joeuser

The Wretched
This is a great idea I did the same but unfortunately I found out by not using the radio to charge the batteries there's an internal battery that keeps the Date & time charged and if I do not charge the batteries inside the radio that battery also will get weak and then I would have to reset the time and date every time I turned on the unit is it just me or has this happened to you

No, but mine is always plugged into the USB power

NYPDAUX

Email received today from Uniden
Dear Valued Uniden Customer,

We have set up a repair process to fix the clock issue for the BCDx36HP Series. If you would like to send your unit in for aWarranty Repair, please follow the below steps:

1. Please fill out this form to send in with your unit:http://unidensupport.com/Portals/0/Software/Uniden Repair Request form.pdf

2. Ship your unit prepaid via UPS or any carrier with a tracking system to:

Uniden Service, Inc.

C/O Saddle Creek

743 Henrietta Creek Rd. Suite 100

Roanoke, TX 76262

ATTN: REPAIR DEPT.

Your repair status will be available on the website when you receive your Service Repair Order (SRO) number by email. (Only if an email address is provided with information.)

Thank you for Choosing Uniden!

Caleb

Uniden Tech Support

- This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the addressee and may contain privileged and/or confidential information. If you have received this message in error immediately notify me by email reply and delete this message from your system without using, disseminating, distributing, or copying this message. Thank you.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The above is a little premature. While we are setting up a process for those of you who are experiencing this issue, the fix will require some parts that have a long lead time. We expect to be able to start the program in a couple of months. In the mean time, we appreciate your patience while we get everything in place. At this time, if you are experiencing either the display backlight fading or real-time clock battery issue, please do not send your scanner in for repair.

NYPDAUX

After speaking to someone at Uniden moment ago I was informed that only a select number of people who received email like myself should have been sending in their scanners for repair. And only those who receive the email should be sending in the units for service and repair I apologize for posting the previous message showing mailing address .

wise871

Database Admin
Wow, that's all it took was an email to Uniden to get an answer, LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.